IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

new wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 06:51 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool new wheel question

im ordering new wheels. Right now im looking at MSR 45's because i can get a good price on them. They are 18x8 +35 offset. Ive been searching and it looks like the best size tire would be 225/40/18. I am at stock height now (looking to get about a 1.5in drop for a good deal) but i want to know if these fit on stock height without rubbing and if these tires are good for daily driving (not stretched). Thanks for your help!
Old 10-04-11, 07:39 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock height? you should be fine, im running 225/35/19 +43 in the front which is taller than the wheel/tire youre looking at, if i were you though i would do the drop first then look at wheels, that way you can measure and look at how much room you have to work with before you buy a set of rims that dont have the look/ride quality/stance or worse....dont fit

im still stock height myself cause mine is still a daily driver but after i move to NoVA, ummm yea!! dropin it!! lol So i know once I drop it the game will change and I may have to change out wheels to keep the look i want, also if youre going for a more flush look find someone with a heat gun and fender roller.
Old 10-04-11, 07:51 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
stock height? you should be fine, im running 225/35/19 +43 in the front which is taller than the wheel/tire youre looking at, if i were you though i would do the drop first then look at wheels, that way you can measure and look at how much room you have to work with before you buy a set of rims that dont have the look/ride quality/stance or worse....dont fit

im still stock height myself cause mine is still a daily driver but after i move to NoVA, ummm yea!! dropin it!! lol So i know once I drop it the game will change and I may have to change out wheels to keep the look i want, also if youre going for a more flush look find someone with a heat gun and fender roller.
I wanted to drop it a little at first but my tires are completely shot right now, so im using it as an excuse to get rims instead of getting new tires for the stocks. A drop as little as 1.5 shouldnt do too much to fitment would it? Sorry im almost clueless, i just turned 18. I have like zero experience with dealing with wheel fitment :/
Old 10-04-11, 09:33 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

I did the exact same thing you want to do, only i chose some TRD wheels, no you will not rub, Im lowered 1.5 all around, you will get a lil camber wear without the adjustment, nothing too bad, you will be fine
Old 10-05-11, 11:28 AM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stopitnow
I did the exact same thing you want to do, only i chose some TRD wheels, no you will not rub, Im lowered 1.5 all around, you will get a lil camber wear without the adjustment, nothing too bad, you will be fine
Awesome! thank you, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. does the wheel sit pretty flush or is it still sunk quite a bit?
Old 10-05-11, 12:45 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

They are sunk a lil bit, mostly in the rear, a camber kit will be more needed than wheel spacers, or should be done first, but main point being, they fit, no rub with a drop, and decent tire life
Attached Thumbnails new wheel question-lexus.jpg  
Old 10-05-11, 01:00 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

If you went stretched with the tires, you could go super low, and flush your wheels smack against the edge of the fenders, but that take a lil trial and error to get right, I did forget to say that my fenders are rolled, so even at 2 inches, I still didnt rub, but it did get stuck on a speedbump at the airport
Old 10-05-11, 04:08 PM
LexsIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stopitnow
If you went stretched with the tires, you could go super low, and flush your wheels smack against the edge of the fenders, but that take a lil trial and error to get right, I did forget to say that my fenders are rolled, so even at 2 inches, I still didnt rub, but it did get stuck on a speedbump at the airport
Alright thank you, I appreciate it.