new to lexus, looking at getting an is300, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 09:29 AM
joshmannin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to lexus, looking at getting an is300, have some questions

auto vs manual
how many miles is to many? for isntance there is one with clean title for 5500 with 200k
then there is one for 5500 with 155k but with rebuilt title and a 5 speed for 8900 with rebuilt title but 90k

so im having a few issues decided rebuilt vs clean, low vs high, price, auto vs 5 speed

i know a usual car it would be lowest miles as long as its fine and manual, but ive heard the auto will hold up better than stock manuals do

but i would rather swap out a manual all day long rather than an auto if it breaks!

plans:
cheap stock twins off my buddys 2jz supra
280-320hp and ill be happy

and thats a little ways down the road

any input advise would be appreciated!
Old 11-25-11, 12:36 PM
sic_boy01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joshmannin

auto vs manual
how many miles is to many? for isntance there is one with clean title for 5500 with 200k
then there is one for 5500 with 155k but with rebuilt title and a 5 speed for 8900 with rebuilt title but 90k

so im having a few issues decided rebuilt vs clean, low vs high, price, auto vs 5 speed

i know a usual car it would be lowest miles as long as its fine and manual, but ive heard the auto will hold up better than stock manuals do

but i would rather swap out a manual all day long rather than an auto if it breaks!

plans:
cheap stock twins off my buddys 2jz supra
280-320hp and ill be happy

and thats a little ways down the road

any input advise would be appreciated!
It all depends on what you want. Like every manual tranny your going to run into issues but there usually easy fix's. An automatic will handle more power but if it breaks your you might as well use it as a paper weight cause the cost of repair is gonna outweight the cost of a new on (rebuild=new). Personally I would go with a manual cause its 10times the fun than a boring automatic. I have an 01' with automatic and it sucks, I will hopefully be switching to a T56/LS3 package soon. Anyway hope this helps good luck friend!
Old 11-25-11, 04:59 PM
joshmannin
Rookie

Originally Posted by sic_boy01
It all depends on what you want. Like every manual tranny your going to run into issues but there usually easy fix's. An automatic will handle more power but if it breaks your you might as well use it as a paper weight cause the cost of repair is gonna outweight the cost of a new on (rebuild=new). Personally I would go with a manual cause its 10times the fun than a boring automatic. I have an 01' with automatic and it sucks, I will hopefully be switching to a T56/LS3 package soon. Anyway hope this helps good luck friend!

its about a 1 - 30 ratio trying to find one

i have found two for 8,000$

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2696600602.html
and can you tell me some about this car with mods vs this car ?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2698431228.html
which i love the black on black, lower miles, and all stock

both had all maintenance done and are ready to ride for 8k
Old 11-25-11, 06:53 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

So the first one has a lot of engine mods yet nothing sounds like its worth the struggle if something happens. and its green... the black on black might be a better way to go since your turboing the car ( which is also going to suck btw) but im a big believer on built not bought cuz you dont know how that dude beat that thing and brian crower cams r more or less on the lesser quality for our cars did the research a little while back. i got my black on black is and ive been in love ever since imo go with the black on black ******es love it lol.
Old 11-25-11, 10:41 PM
joshmannin
Rookie

Originally Posted by ais300c
So the first one has a lot of engine mods yet nothing sounds like its worth the struggle if something happens. and its green... the black on black might be a better way to go since your turboing the car ( which is also going to suck btw) but im a big believer on built not bought cuz you dont know how that dude beat that thing and brian crower cams r more or less on the lesser quality for our cars did the research a little while back. i got my black on black is and ive been in love ever since imo go with the black on black ******es love it lol.
yea i did some research on the brian cower vs hks and everyone seemed to love the brian cower cams

the green one has a clean title as where the black one doesnt :/
thats the main difference, and the guy with the black one said he did the timing belt, water pump, and brakes and oil all that by himself and i couldnt understand his english very well...

i would like the black on black with the green cars title, lol

with everything as far as cams, labor, headwork, he said he had about 2500$ in the head with port and cams and stage 2 clutch, but i really do understand about if you do stuff to the car to make it fast, its going to be drove fast....