IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

02 vs 04 handling, new buy here

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 02:12 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lookalike
Based on this alone i do belive its simply the tires she is on are much better than yours. I could be wrong but im pretty sure she is not on Michelin Pilots But in fact on Michelin Pilot Super Sport, big difference.....they are 2 totally different tires.

Anyway i myself have tried a few Kuhmo tires (ASX, LE Sport), none that i like, about two months ago i picked up the Pilot Super Sports and my car all of a sudden was smoother, grippier, simply rode like it was on rails. Even my younger brother noticed as i was taking some corners a bit "enthusiactically" to put it nicely. He thought i had lowered the car since before these exact same corners i could not take anywhere close to the speed i was taking now....

Oh yea... and they are awsome in the wet. yea maybe 30k warranty isn't the best but hey nothing can be the best at everything. For reference the factory 215/45/17 was like 750 installed for all 4 at discount tire plus i got a 70 giftcard in the mail. Anyway best of luck!
I just look at my tire. the size is 225/45/17. mine is sportdesign with stock wheels will this make any difference? or previous owner put wrong size tire?
Old 12-07-11, 03:11 PM
elijah5590
Driver School Candidate

looking to pick on up so this thread is pretty helpful
Old 12-07-11, 03:47 PM
lookalike
Rookie

well 225/45/17 is not the factory size for sedans.
The sportcross (wagon) actually wears 215/45/17 front and 225/45/17 rear due to the slightly higher weight on the rear.

That being said the difference from a 215 to a 225 is quite negligible (10mm wider on 225) some guys just install the wider tires becuase in brands/models of tires the 225/45/17 is more common, therefore cheaper. The car really doesn't care if you use either of the two sizes.

What does make more of a difference is the brand/model of your specific tire. Do us a favor and post the EXACT brand/model of tire you have, and what your friend has on hers. From there i can tell you if its just the tires or if its more suspension related.
Old 12-07-11, 10:43 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

well 225/45/17 is not the factory size for sedans.
The sportcross (wagon) actually wears 215/45/17 front and 225/45/17 rear due to the slightly higher weight on the rear.

That being said the difference from a 215 to a 225 is quite negligible (10mm wider on 225) some guys just install the wider tires becuase in brands/models of tires the 225/45/17 is more common, therefore cheaper. The car really doesn't care if you use either of the two sizes.

What does make more of a difference is the brand/model of your specific tire. Do us a favor and post the EXACT brand/model of tire you have, and what your friend has on hers. From there i can tell you if its just the tires or if its more suspension related.
I got a KUMHO ECSTA AST. Here is what i trying to do step by step.
i will post how i feel as soon as i have any of this done

1, replacing 4 strut and strut mount ( KYB or Toyota OEM)

2, 4 tires ( 225/45-17 MICHELIN PILOT HX MXM4 91H BSW)

3, Sway bar

4, 4 wheel alignment

5, replacing all 4 brake and rotor
Old 12-08-11, 12:14 AM
lookalike
Rookie

Try the tires 1st but not the Michelin Pilot MXM4..... those are quite soft sidewall tires and you will probably have worse results to the Kuhmo Ecsta AST as far as cornering feel and ride quality goes...

Go with one of the following tires:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Michelin Pilot PS2
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
Continental ExtremeContact DW
GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110 (slightly soft sidewalls)
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS or RE970AS
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (slightly noisy but great in dry)
Pirelli PZero
Nitto NT555
Nitto Invo

Of course there are tons of other good tires out there these are just ones that come to mind which give you great steering responce and good combination of quiet ride and performance.

Last edited by lookalike; 12-08-11 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-11, 11:56 AM
Skggyy
Rookie

Try the tires 1st but not the Michelin Pilot MXM4..... those are quite soft sidewall tires and you will probably have worse results to the Kuhmo Ecsta AST as far as cornering feel and ride quality goes...

Go with one of the following tires:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Michelin Pilot PS2
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
Continental ExtremeContact DW
GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110 (slightly soft sidewalls)
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS or RE970AS
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (slightly noisy but great in dry)
Pirelli PZero
Nitto NT555
Nitto Invo

Of course there are tons of other good tires out there these are just ones that come to mind which give you great steering responce and good combination of quiet ride and performance.
The reason why i want Michelin Pilot MXM4. It is because i have the same set in my GS300. I kind like how i feel. it is comfortable and quite. I already decide to go KYB strut which known as a little bit stiffer than OEM. So, i hope this could help a little bit. I will be using this as daily drive. i just want the handling slightly better than stock. plus, i will be adding sway bar sooner or later. The car will become even more stiffer. but i am not sure if i am doing right. any input is welcome here.
Old 12-08-11, 05:22 PM
lookalike
Rookie

yea dont get me wrong or anything the Michelin Pilot MXM4 are great tires super smooth and quiet but i was thinking you wanted better performance for your car with a crisp turn in.

Keep in mind though that even if you are lowered on stiffer springs and sway bars if your tire sidewalls are soft your car will never corner like its on rails with those tires.
Old 12-08-11, 09:31 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

Today. Just got 4 struts replaced by KBY. Below pictures shows the OEM strut remove from the car. You can't really tell the condition by just look at it. There is no oil leaking. I guess the strut is still in working condition. However i want it to be excellent.

But I do feel a little bit more stiffer on the suspension comparing to OEM. Not too much. just slightly stiffer. At the mean time. The steering wheel becomes more solid. better respondance from road surface. less bounce when crusing in the freeway. overall, i am happy with the out come. I would say the handling impove15%-20% .
In tomorrow or Sat. i will replace 4 tires.

Old 12-11-11, 11:36 PM
lookalike
Rookie

Any progress?
Old 12-12-11, 09:14 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

Just got 4 tires replaced on Saturday morning. i am just too buy to post some feedback here. yes, the tires make huge difference. it is much smoother handling. especially driving in the freeway. Michelin MXM4 tires are so smooth. But the cornering doesn't feel too much different. There is still noticable body roll. i order two sets of sway bar. Daizen and Hotchkis. I am not sure what are the difference. except the price. Does Daizen give you more stiffer feeling than Hotchkis?

I also do some research. Lots of people recommanded to replace the steering rack bushing (FIGS) . I did feel steering wheel centering problem when drive in high speed. will this thing eliminate the problems. has anybody install it here?

btw, i got one set KUMHO tires for sale 85% left on the tires. ACT. good running condition $100 for full set. it is good for peopel who need as spare or decide to sell the car...

Old 12-14-11, 01:45 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

keep your tire pressure spot on to whats recommended, it makes a difference as well. And yes, i also have a set of 225/50/17 Pilot MXM4 tires and they are super quiet and smooth!
Old 12-14-11, 04:15 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

Originally Posted by 90mx83
keep your tire pressure spot on to whats recommended, it makes a difference as well. And yes, i also have a set of 225/50/17 Pilot MXM4 tires and they are super quiet and smooth!
what tire pressure do you recommand? the door pillar says 32psi. But i put 35 psi for slightly better performance.
Old 12-15-11, 10:40 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

I am totally satisfy with my car right now. it feels the car is sticker to the ground while cursing 80 mph on the fwy. not too stiffer. it still feels comfortable. This is what i really want. it is such great fun car to drive.

I decide not to put sway bar on my car. since i already very happy with it. If any body insersting in the Daizen sway bar. Please let me know. It is brand new. $350. thanks.
Old 12-17-11, 11:45 PM
lookalike
Rookie

I actually run my car at 38PSI filled with nitrogen... Air is simply too "unstable"
Old 12-18-11, 12:37 AM
Skggyy
Rookie

I actually run my car at 38PSI filled with nitrogen... Air is simply too "unstable"

I am also running at 38pci too. but regular air. except the cost co. there is only one place i know. they charge 11.99 per tire.

Quick Reply: 02 vs 04 handling, new buy here