IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Help help help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12 | 10:52 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

Exclamation Help help help

ok- so this is the issue..... got my car painted a few months ago and this is what started happening...
BEFORE ANYONE SAYS TAKE IT BACK KNOW THIS- I HAVE AND THE PAINT SHOP WONT HELP.

so: the Alarm system is starting to act up::: symptoms as follow:
* doors wont lock/ have hard time locking/ only lock part way
what just happened which prompted this thread is the Hazards started blinking very fast and erratically on their own after the car is started or unlocked after about 10 seconds. when it is locked and "armed" it is fine. push the hazard button and they blink at the normal speed, turn the hazards off and they go back to blinking erratically. ended up just pulling the hazard fuse.

the driver side window:
* automatic roll up works but once the window reaches the top it rolls back down half way.

Lexus of El Paso and Albuquerque are no help- both say bring it in and it is like $90 buck to diagnose. L of EP did say the window is probably mistimed?? or needs to be re-programmed?? and would cost about 3 hours of labor.

Please help me figure this out without costing hours of labor and parts at Lexus....
Old 09-16-12 | 07:26 PM
FlyGuydar
Rookie

**** it does sound like it needs to be re programed
Old 09-17-12 | 11:49 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

the window or the alarm? are the 2 issues related? like is the window doing that because of an issue with the alarm?
Old 10-05-12 | 10:02 AM
L3xu5Junky
Driver School Candidate

Just a heads up for anybody that's in the area. Lexus of El Paso is pretty worthless if your looking for a repair at least. I drove across town to have them tell me, in a completely unprofessional fashion, that they'll charge $90 to just look under my hood and "diagnose". After stating that I had already diagnosed the problem and knew the factory # of the parts I wanted to order, I was told "well we don't work for free". I can't speak for the Albuquerque store, but definitely don't waste your time or money at LoEP. The parts ended up costing $25 plus shipping from the sewell lexus website (CL members get a discount on everything).

As for your electrical problem, if you can prove that it is directly related to the work they did, legally they have to either pay for the repair or repair it themselves (if you trust them to do so). I would agree it sounds like it needs to be reprogrammed, but that should be their problem to fix not yours. Btw what shop did the paint work?

I'll ask a friend of mine if he has the right diagrams for your problem, are you in the El Paso area?
Old 10-05-12 | 09:31 PM
L3xu5Junky
Driver School Candidate

Actually a friend made me realize a good point. Most body shops will disconnect the battery before performing any work, and it's possible they didn't tighten the clamps on the terminals properly. Many people ,including dealerships, might overlook it because the clamps are physically on the terminals, but maybe not connected well. A bad connection would easily explain your car's electrical "spasms", and if that's not the case at least it's an easy thing to check off the list of things to try. hope it helps
Old 10-06-12 | 02:29 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

If the shop is owned by just a person ( its not a maaco or some shop with a big name) it will cost more to sue than to just fix it. unfortunately when you bring your car to get something done you take a risk. it sucks that there are jerk off people who do something foolish and just wont own up to it but thats the world we live in. as for your window issue and hazards lexusjunky is right if they disconnected the battery and were careless it could have done something with the hazards and the window. Windows that are automatic have a memory of when to stop rolling up and those do get screwed up when you mess with electrical. IMO I think it just best to take somewhere you trust and pay to get it fixed its unfortunate you have to do this but thats just my two cents dont fight a battle you will lose out on in the end hope i helped
Old 10-07-12 | 01:07 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

It does sound like the window motor is out of time or the something was adjusted or moved.

-when door lock actuators don't work right, weird things happen....just like you're describing. I would say it's a bad actuator............but did they have the door panel off on the door with the lock acting up????? if they didn't put the lock cables back in to place correctly on the door panel, it will also cause problems.

when you lock it manually on the messed up door, does it feel normal or feel like all of the other one? or does something not feel right?