IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

headlight turn signal reflector ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 05:38 AM
Spooks19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvalero
Before the order ships, you might want to stop by your local hobby store to see if they have Tamiya PS-43 Translucent Orange Lexan Spray Paint. You should be able to pick some up for $7. Also, it looks like the JDM headlights' reflector is closer to orange than yellow.

I'm not sure which paint he used, but white_is masked off his reflectors after opening his headlights, and painted them orange.
Hi there , I'm new to this site and not a Lexus owner , but thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in ............. I've never built a model anything but stumbled across this product and swear by it .
Tamiya PS31 Smoke is the best headlight / tail light / side marker tinting paint I've tried . Only comes in a 100 mil spray can but 3 - 4 cans will do all the lights on your car . I did 4 coats on rear light assembly only masking off the white reverse part of the lens and 2 coats only on the headlights and side lights .which gives them a light but definitely " smoked " look . The side indicators on my car are very orange but this stuff tones it down well ..... 3 coats in my case .
Apply with ultra-light coats , 5-10 mins. apart and build up to the level you want . 20 minutes later I applied 2 coats of clearcoat followed by a light sand 1000 grit and then a final wet coat . The gloss level is acceptable but a cut and polish a week later brings out a really deep shine . PS31 is also great to smoke chrome badges as it covers much the same as the translucent PS43 ( orange) as mentioned above .
In Australia we pay alot more for Tamiya paints or , any decent aerosols for that matter , but compared to VHT ' nightshades " or plasticoat it's a much better option and no more expensive
Cheers