IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

drove my IS in the snow today

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 12:36 PM
xgorjuicex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove my IS in the snow today

Ok. we have a snow storm today in the east coast. and not a lot of snow has fallen yet (not even an inch yet).

I parked on the street last night and getting out of my parking spot was ok. the traction thing (i dont know what it's called) kicked in a lil bit.

and i noticed that on "stop and go" driving, i have no traction on my tires. i pressed the "snow" button on my car and i still spun out numerous times. anyway all in all it was a scary drive going to work. there was even a downhill road that i take... i was going about 5-10 miles an hour on that road because I have to turn into my building and when i tried to stop, i skidded, pressed the breaks really hard, and the car was still skidding. to my panic, i pulled my emergency break and my car finally stopped.

anyway, i know, i know that the IS wasn't built to be driven on the snow but i didn't know that it was that sensitive.

now questions:

is this because the car is rear wheel drive (i have constant spin outs and have trouble getting out of light snow on the road)?

is it because i have low profile tires? maybe a combination of both.

should I get snow tires on just the rear or both front and rear?

what kind of tires should i get (good but not too expensive)?

any other suggestions and ideas? please dont give this suggestion ==> get a winter car (im not the typical rich lexus owner. i worked hard for it because it was my dream car)

thanks for your time...
Old 12-05-02, 12:51 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people who drive their IS in michigan just fine, even us GS owners drive in michigan OK. If your IS has the stock 17's and summer tires you are screwed, get some all seasons!
Old 12-05-02, 12:51 PM
Marley
Pole Position

Don't bother driving on the summer tires. I bought snow tires and I too live on the East Coast. Near Philly. I drove today with no problem.
Old 12-05-02, 12:53 PM
Marley
Pole Position

I have the Blizzaks on my car and a cople of sand bags in the trunk to put some weight on the back end.

Try Tirerack.com they normally have good prices on snow tires.

Last edited by Marley; 12-05-02 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 12:53 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default the problem

The problem you are experiencing is caused by the fact that ice and snow are slippery.
Old 12-05-02, 01:13 PM
xgorjuicex
Driver School Candidate

hey guys. thanks for the quick response. now should i get snow tires on just rear wheels? or all four?

should i get all season tires instead of jsut winter tires? so i dont have to change em every winter.

thanks all in advance

link13 thanks for the fact of the day! =0D
Old 12-05-02, 03:50 PM
jaymode
Driver

Well, all season or winter and summer is pretty tough choice.
Allseason:
-do not have to change tires
-no storage space needed for extra tires
-good dry traction
-ok snow traction, must use a harder compund with less agressive tread so they do not wear out quickly

winter and summer:
-have better traction during both seasons
-less likely to have slipage during either season
-usually wear out quicker because of a softer compound but this also means better grip
-better breaking distance
-need to be changed with the seasons
-may require another set of wheels(rims)
-storage space

I prefer different tires for each season. all season tires compromise too much.
Old 12-05-02, 03:51 PM
xgorjuicex
Driver School Candidate

thank you very much everyone for your help. =)
Old 12-07-02, 01:27 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Learn how to drive in the snow. Never slam on the brakes in the snow - of course you were sliding. Go easy on the accelerator, and don't pull on the e-brake in the snow when you are moving. That is the best way to lose control.
Old 12-07-02, 11:26 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

try driving a 400 hp 300zxTT in the ice with Z-rated tires, you'll like you IS all the much better. Go practice in a parking lot or something, cuz you are dangerous on the roads from what it sound like
Old 12-08-02, 03:22 AM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

ya man never slam the brakes in the snow to regain control you have to let go of the brakes to get steering back because once they are locked they are no help to anyone.

get some snow tires NOW! it will help a lot and just take it easy.
Old 12-08-02, 09:25 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

Exclamation

DO NOT GET ALL-SEASONS! I have them and they are still terrible in the snow. You have to get snow tires.
Old 12-09-02, 04:25 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default It's the Tires

Have the same thing with my S2000. Of course my S2000 doesn't see snow though, so that solves my problem. But I'd say get some dedicated snow tires, and you MUST get all 4, otherwise the two ends of the car won't be going in the same direction.
Old 12-11-02, 12:55 PM
KONA
Driver School Candidate

Default California

One thing that gets on my nerves driving in Southern California is having to turn off my traction control. Just kidding fellahs. I can't really say I have experienced driving in extreme conditions but I feel for you. I pray for traveling mercies for you east coasters.

Last edited by KONA; 12-11-02 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-11-02, 07:58 PM
Michael S. Doma
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I've found that without the snow tires on (ie. 17 inch summer Bridgestones) in the snow I'm able to move forward from a dead stop much better with the trac switched to OFF than with it on. Of course I'm spinning quite a bit but I do get forward momentum. With it on the othe day in the NY snow storm it took an entire light change to get accross the intersection. I've since put on all 4 snow tires but mine are Dunlop 17 inch 45 series.
I haven't tried them in the snow yet as the roads are now clear but last year even in the dry (we had no snow last year that I drove in) when pulling out of a toll booth my Traction control indicater would come on if I exited at the same velocity as with the summer tires. Everyone I've spoken with say that this is normal but it is a little unnerving.

Quick Reply: drove my IS in the snow today