IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 11:30 AM
Ryzies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c problems

ive been having problems with my ac on my 01 is... i want to just remove the compressor and re run a pulley that is shorter...i can't seem to find any info on this anywhere though...does anyone have anything that can help me out with an ac delete?...

right now the car doesn't charge when the pulley is squealing, i've replaced the pulley tensioner and belt and it still didnt fix my charging problem...the squeal comes right from the ac compressor and when i turn on the ac it's definitely worse...i dont really want to spend the 700 dollars to fix it so i'm hoping you guys can help me out on this...
Old 04-05-13, 07:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You have to get a different pulley for the tensioner, then a much shorter belt... you will also lose power steering... at least thats the only way I've seen it done... basically, the belt makes a square on the front of the motor, and the car I've done it on squeals terribly on cold starts... everything is as close to perfect as possible and its still noisy....
Old 04-06-13, 11:58 PM
Ryzies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why couldn't you just re run the belt without the ac?...i've seen it done on cars before and these pulleys go from one to the other...i figured just a shorter belt would be fine...is this a fact that it is this way or have you not actually done it on an is before
Old 04-07-13, 06:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just said I've done it before and it squeals terribly... I've seen no other way or examples of how to do it other than the way I did it on my brothers car:

And again, it squeals terribly on cold starts, the pully on the tensioner has to be changed to a grooved pulley instead of a smooth pulley, and you obviously lose A/C and power steering... If I remember right, the next smaller belt size is too small, and this one is technically a hair too long, thus the squeal

Last edited by mitsuguy; 04-07-13 at 07:26 AM.