IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Stock LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 08:34 AM
ESES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock LSD

Does anyone know anything about the stock IS300 LSD?
Is it a 2pinions or 4pinions type?
1way, 1.5way, or 2 way?
Thanks...
Old 01-02-03, 01:04 PM
Gstt
Banned

U don't have a LSD.

I have a 2000 Gs400, No LSD and i'm pretty sure the same 4 Is's.

invest in a TRD LSD, that would do the job
Old 01-02-03, 01:31 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

DO NOT LISTEN TO GSTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the IS300 has a factory option for the Torsen LSD. im not sure about the rest of your question... but i have heard that the factory LSD is better than the TRD racing LSD... its supposed to be a newer technology.. i heard this from PFS (peter farrel)
Old 01-02-03, 02:26 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by TicaLis300
DO NOT LISTEN TO GSTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the IS300 has a factory option for the Torsen LSD. im not sure about the rest of your question... but i have heard that the factory LSD is better than the TRD racing LSD... its supposed to be a newer technology.. i heard this from PFS (peter farrel)
PFS is out to lunch then. You will blow that LSD out the window if you go with the bigger hp values. The TRD LSD is a clutch type of LSD, so it is rebuildable and can hold much, much more hp than the stock one.
Old 01-02-03, 08:47 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

im no expert in this matter... i was having problems with my stock diff, so i asked peter if i should get the trd race lsd which is cheaper than the factory torsen lsd.... he told me that the torsen is MUCH better and recommended me to get another stock one... those were his words... no offense wxman, but i value his over yours considering he's been in this game for a LONG *** time.... and he's built quite a few IS' now with substantial power... im sure he has a good idea of what it can handle...

but dont get me wrong... like i said, im not expert.. im just relayin info from a well-known reputable tuner
Old 01-03-03, 12:31 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

im no expert in this matter... i was having problems with my stock diff, so i asked peter if i should get the trd race lsd which is cheaper than the factory torsen lsd.... he told me that the torsen is MUCH better and recommended me to get another stock one... those were his words... no offense wxman, but i value his over yours considering he's been in this game for a LONG *** time.... and he's built quite a few IS' now with substantial power... im sure he has a good idea of what it can handle...

but dont get me wrong... like i said, im not expert.. im just relayin info from a well-known reputable tuner
Ask fairuza about his rear end. Nothing against PFS either, but who would you believe Jarrett from PHR or PFS. Hmm, I think that is an easy one.
Old 01-04-03, 01:48 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

yes, i believe jarret from phr has more of a background with supras and the 2jz... and on the other hand, Peter is well known as a RX-7 tuner... i would agree with u that phr is better source, but i wouldn't throw PFS' info out the door. you act as if phr is the only source for info and that they are the only ones who have the ability to figure out the 2jz and the IS300.... dont be so quick to rule out other possibilities...

just because i've been alive for 26 years does not mean there aren't any 21 year olds that know 10 times more than me about cars or even 16 year olds for that matter... i've seen people learn things in a month that took another 6 months...
Old 01-04-03, 12:58 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Ok. Call Toyomoto then. Remember PFS is the same company that from what I understand melted a piston and blew up a tranny during that car challenge. Hmmm.
Old 01-04-03, 03:08 PM
ESES
Driver

Ok sorry to bother your argument here...
But if i were to want to change to a TRD Race LSD... would it be easier if i got the Optional LSD as oppose to not having the Optional LSD and trying to put on a TRD Race LSD? Has anyone done it??
Torsen LSD are more complex then the TRD Race LSD which is a clutch type... and will cost more to replace or rebulid...
I'm looking to do some drifts with the IS and it will put alot more wear on the LSD... having a rebulidable and cheap LSD is what i'm really looking for... doesn't have to hold insane amount of power...
Old 01-04-03, 03:09 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

so u've never made a mistake in your life??? at least he did it to his own car and not a customers... some people actually learn from their mistakes... if Peter Farrel was such a bad tuner why would SUPER STREET come to him to do their Project IS300??

get over urself and PHR.. i agree, they know their **** but they aren't the only ones in this world that have the ability to tune an IS300...
Old 01-04-03, 03:10 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

why is it i've seen u have this same conversation with a handful of other people... guess u dont ever learn....
Old 01-04-03, 04:22 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

sup Dan how you been mang?
ahh the battle rages on...this argument can go either way.. but from a IS300 standpoint and the tuners who have made high HP on them and the owners who have had problems.. All of them have switched or are looking to switch over to the TRD Clutch type... I shattered my Torsen and I was only around 450 rwhp...I know that Lance installed a TRD on Bruce Epps car... james also had switched over as well Dan T will switch over...I am not sayin that it is not possible for the Torsen to Hold it.. but it just has not yet...and I am not sayin that PFS is wrong... or siding with anyone... I am just stating some facts... why is it everything has to turn into a battle... lol
Old 01-04-03, 04:59 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

yo, wut up brian?? happy new year bro... i see where you're coming from.... and the facts are facts.. cant argue with that.. its just the way wxman puts things... he writes as though there are no other options but phr.. and that is where i have a problem...

in some cases, the torsen lsd is all you're gonna need if you're not trying to produce high horsepower.. and like u said, if you're over 450 rwhp, then statistics will show that u will need to get the trd race lsd...

it is odd to me that pfs said that the torsen is better than the trd... those were his words... i'll have to talk to him again to see if his mind has changed... it was a while ago that he told me that...

eses.. to answer your question.. sounds like the trd is the better set up for you... i dont know how much it would cost to add a lsd to a non-lsd vehicle... or even to swap one over if you already had one...

brian??
Old 01-04-03, 06:06 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

yo, wut up brian?? happy new year bro... i see where you're coming from.... and the facts are facts.. cant argue with that.. its just the way wxman puts things... he writes as though there are no other options but phr.. and that is where i have a problem...

in some cases, the torsen lsd is all you're gonna need if you're not trying to produce high horsepower.. and like u said, if you're over 450 rwhp, then statistics will show that u will need to get the trd race lsd...

it is odd to me that pfs said that the torsen is better than the trd... those were his words... i'll have to talk to him again to see if his mind has changed... it was a while ago that he told me that...

eses.. to answer your question.. sounds like the trd is the better set up for you... i dont know how much it would cost to add a lsd to a non-lsd vehicle... or even to swap one over if you already had one...

brian??
Tical, that is all I was trying to say. The torsen will blow up. Thanks for the added info Brian.
Old 01-04-03, 07:26 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Dan, I could be mislead and the torsen could be a viable option for the IS with high hp. but the problem with it breaking seems to show that it will not handle that much. as far as swappin it out.. all you need to do it buy one used.. or find a whole rear end with one in it. That is what I tried.. but to no avail.. now I am back to the Open rear diff until I get the time to put in the TRD one..

I am just makin the point that it has not held for a long period of time for anyone with good HP numbers..at least that I know of. but hell every situation is different.

as far as efficieny goes yes the TORSEN is a much better LSD and works well and does not have to be rebuilt like a Clutch type Does.. also there is very lil tinkering with it.. unlike settin up the clutches on the TRD... butit was not built to hold retarded amounts of HP. but again why would it, the Stock IS comes with very lil HP. and the idea of ppl makin 600 -800rwhp on this car prolly was not floating around in the designers heads when they created this part.,hence the materials used may not be strong enough to hold it.

Last edited by EmoDragRacer; 01-04-03 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock LSD