IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 vs BMW330i vs Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03 | 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wow, so you saying for the first 3 yrs, all maintenance (oil change, tranny flush, rototation, inspection, etc...) are FREE? now that's some negotiation
Old 01-12-03 | 02:48 PM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

The TL-S is a good car for the price IMHO. I have a CL-S which I plan to ditch soon due to the Tranny problems. It's going in for another tranny this week. But just to correct a few things, the TYPE-S produces 200~ hp to the wheels. Not 190. Also with mine I ran it at the track one time, 14.4 at 99.44 mph, not bad at all with just headers.

Handling, is very good. I have springs, but comparing it to my friends IS300 which we traded cars one day. He came back and said, man your car handles as good as mine but with FWD. The TL-S might have slightly different suspension due to 4 doors. Not sure on that.

But I am looking to get a Audi or Lexus sometime in the near future to replace this car.

Originally posted by rominl
well, i have the tls, and i am strongly considering the is300 with good reasons, and i always considered the 330i too, so hopefully i can give you some insights. i will just give out points so pick on grammas, hehe...

tls:
it's an ok car, it's big, plenty of room in the back for people, looks pretty classic. hp very good, 260, but only around 190 at the crank. fwd sux.... i am in cali but it's not going anywhere with that many hp in the front. understeer like hell. handling pretty bad for the same reason. ride ok, pretty quiet. built quality so so only, no match with lexus imho. big problem with tranny. if you read they are extending the warranty but still a lot of people's trannies die with no reason. it's not a driving habit issue. people are suing acura for that. sometimes car shifts from 5th to 2nd on freeway when you do 80, bad idea... that's why if they don't do a recall some time soon, i am changing car. pricewise it's awesome, simply best bang for the bucks. but what you get is more of a sedan than a sport sedan comparing the three. the nav is good, not as good as lexus in terms of graphics.

330i:
performance awesome, but a bit small, both side to side and the rear. handling there is no doubt, but the price is. way overpriced imho for what you getting. you spend more money getting the emblem than the real car. the nav sux big time, no touch screen, slow, bad display, etc... i don't like the dash design at all, boring. reliability and quality is also an issue imho, you will spend lots more money on repair and maintenance over the years. if you plan to ONLY own the car when it has warranty (ie 4 yrs) then yes it could be a good choice if you can overcome the price of the car

is300:
small, less space in the rear but i think it's still acceptable, i just have to sit straight at the back. the nav is a failure on lexus part imho, why put it thre and no touch screen? but nonetheless it has great graphics. quality you know how good it is, best of the three. same with reliability. the handling is awesome, i like it a lot. the dash a bit radical but i like it. audio is pretty good too (the other two sux big time). the car is not as quiet as any other lexus (not even close) but it's still pretty good. on straight line no doubt it's the slowest among three but good enough for my taste. on corners it can have a lot of fun though.

i don't know if you are talking about mods too, but if you look at the three, lexus will win imho. there are a lot of choices and prices are very good for the is300. just as many choices for the 330i but you pay lots more than that of the lexus too. the tls is a joke, you don't have much choices at all, lowest prices, but when you dont' have choice i don't feel like modding a car, coz' i can't choose!

want any other aspect? i have been owning the tls for 1 1/2 yr so i know pretty much everything about it i guess. been liking the 330i except the price for the longest time too. and since the tranny issue of the tls happened, i have been studying the is300 stick extensively
Old 01-12-03 | 05:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

you sure it's 200? coz' i have seen 2 dyno sheets before with only 190 or so. anyway it's not biggie

and was your cls modded before you trade cars with the is300? i can't believe they would handle the same stock to stock, i drove both and the is300 impressed the heck out of me

oh btw, yes, i agree with the tranny, if they don't do a full recall on the tranny soon, sorry but i would have to say byebye to my acura
Old 01-12-03 | 05:50 PM
WiLz
Driver

you sure it's 200? coz' i have seen 2 dyno sheets before with only 190 or so. anyway it's not biggie

and was your cls modded before you trade cars with the is300? i can't believe they would handle the same stock to stock, i drove both and the is300 impressed the heck out of me

oh btw, yes, i agree with the tranny, if they don't do a full recall on the tranny soon, sorry but i would have to say byebye to my acura
he said his CL-S had springs.
my TL-S with springs, sways and strut bar handled as well as my stock IS
Old 01-12-03 | 05:55 PM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Mine dynoed 199 hp and 182 tq stock. I see alot around 198-205 stock.

But yes like I said, I had springs thats all.
Old 01-12-03 | 06:14 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Talking any cl's or tl's want to participate?

lmk if any of you cl or tl people care to prove the handling of your car.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=88085

Old 01-12-03 | 06:26 PM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

Originally posted by IS_Dude
lmk if any of you cl or tl people care to prove the handling of your car.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=88085

Why? That guy just proves he is some idiot child that seems to think any fwd car can not handle as good as rwd.

The CL or TL with springs handle very good. Add sways, I am sure even better. I have driven the IS300, like I said. It was a bit more touchy in the turns than the CL is. I could take them as fast as my friends IS300 in my CL.

Like I said, there is nothing to prove. Both cars are good. One is RWD, one is FWD. One is bigger than the other, and also weighs more.
Old 01-12-03 | 07:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

Originally posted by SilverBullet

Why? That guy just proves he is some idiot child that seems to think any fwd car can not handle as good as rwd.

The CL or TL with springs handle very good. Add sways, I am sure even better. I have driven the IS300, like I said. It was a bit more touchy in the turns than the CL is. I could take them as fast as my friends IS300 in my CL.

Like I said, there is nothing to prove. Both cars are good. One is RWD, one is FWD. One is bigger than the other, and also weighs more.
very well said! two different cars imho. both are good, and springs + sways on tl/cl make a lot of differences. i also have springs and sways as the ONLY handling stuff on my tl-s, been a long time, and the other day i test drove the is and i can tell my tls can out handle the is any day. but stock to stock the is will win i am sure.

the only thing is i am not sure how well a modded is could do
Old 01-12-03 | 09:58 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Default Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

For your sake I hope this comment isn't referring to similar cars w/ similar weight and balance. If it is you need to learn a little about suspension theory.

[B]

You're passing opinion as if it's fact. If you read the whole thread you'll realize what occured and the CL guys in the know agree as well.

If you think your car handles the same then you wouldn't mind competing then would you?

Both cars have their merits. The CL's doesn't include handling as good as an IS. As that challenge states you can have any mod on your CL you want and we'll run stock.

There's a huge diffenrence in handling on the street and pushing a car to it's limits in a competitive manner, surely you understand this.

edit====

Last edited by IS_Dude; 01-12-03 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-12-03 | 10:03 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

Care to race?

I know plenty of people in your area that only have a front sway on their IS with stock springs and Koni shocks. I might be able to get a friendly challenge put together.

The TL doesn't handle as well as the IS, in any configuration.

It weighs nearly 3600lbs and it's got a weight distribution of 62/38. Can you say "push".........

very well said! two different cars imho. both are good, and springs + sways on tl/cl make a lot of differences. i also have springs and sways as the ONLY handling stuff on my tl-s, been a long time, and the other day i test drove the is and i can tell my tls can out handle the is any day. but stock to stock the is will win i am sure.

the only thing is i am not sure how well a modded is could do
Old 01-12-03 | 10:04 PM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

You're passing opinion as if it's fact. If you read the whole thread you'll realize what occured and the CL guys in the know agree as well.

If you think your car handles the same then you wouldn't mind competing then would you?

Both cars have their merits. The CL's doesn't include handling as good as an IS. As that challenge states you can have any mod on your CL you want and we'll run stock.

There's a huge diffenrence in handling on the street and pushing a car to it's limits in a competitive manner, surely you understand this.

Hmm, I use to race cars at TWS. So I don't see why my opinion isn't a good one. We both push our cars to the limits, and we see what they can do. I don't believe you have really driven a CL-S with suspension have you? Then you have nothing to say.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-12-03 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-12-03 | 10:12 PM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

Care to race?

I know plenty of people in your area that only have a front sway on their IS with stock springs and Koni shocks. I might be able to get a friendly challenge put together.

It weighs nearly 3600lbs and it's got a weight distribution of 62/38. Can you say "push".........

I thought you were comparing a stock IS to a slightly modded TL or CL. Now you want a IS modded slightly to play? lol!
Old 01-12-03 | 10:16 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

Those are the people that I know in that area.

take it or leave it.

I thought you were comparing a stock IS to a slightly modded TL or CL. Now you want a IS modded slightly to play? lol!
Old 01-12-03 | 10:18 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

I don't have to. I've raced(if you can call it a race) one. I also base my opinions off of fact.

Acura listings
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/List...ckm.html#Acura

Lexus IS300
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/List...ckm.html#Lexus

Care to race?

Old 01-12-03 | 10:18 PM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any cl's or tl's want to participate?

Those are the people that I know in that area.

take it or leave it.

Well the guy who I know that drove my car is part of the is300.net club. So I take his opinion more than yours.

Personally you have left a bad taste in my mouth about Lexus owners. You have nothing to prove. The IS300 isn't even in the same league as the TL. Compare the new TSX to the IS300 yes, but not the TL. TL is a little higher due to its size and configuration.

How old are you anyways? LOL Grow up.

Quick Reply: IS300 vs BMW330i vs Acura TL