IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 Tablet Integration

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 05:51 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS300 Tablet Integration

So a couple weeks ago I posted a thread regarding a Navigation display housing, and searched around for one. "Searched" is an understatement, this thing was a pain to find under $200.

Anyway, I found the nav display housing (part number 86111-53030 if you're wondering) from automotix.net

I also won a 7" galaxy tablet from ebay (sch I800 for verizon) for $100 even.

I'm hoping to get the tablet in a few days so i can begin to document and of course take photos of my first ever tablet integration.

Good news is my dad has the same tablet and allowed me to use his for a "mock" fitment and needless to say its going to require some work but shouldn't be too hard.

This guy did one as well

I have a pioneer avh p4100 DVD double din in my car so I'll just use the 3.5mm cable for audio from the tablet to the stereo at least until I get a newer pioneer with an HDMI port so I can fully integrate the tablet.

I've always enjoyed the look of the R34 MFD for boost g-force, and other gauges, so I'm hoping with the android "Torque" app I can come close to this. If not, I can always call up zeitronix.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to share my excitement and hopefully I can get some good pictures of the install and hopefully be able to write a decent tutorial so if anyone else wants to do this.
Old 06-13-13, 12:18 AM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you guys can help me out with this debacle I have. I know I said I was going to integrate the Samsung Tablet into the factory nav screen location...

OR

I can use a 7" LCD "HDMI" input screen and piggy back off my android phone. This way, I won't over heat the tablet (SC summers do get rather hot) and I can just use the screen as a mirror image of my phone.

The HDMI screen is $52 ($63 shipped), and would also work but I'm just having doubts about both.

If i were to integrate the tablet, I would need to invest another $20 or so and modify the exterior of the top cover of the nav screen. Why? Because the buttons from the tablet would be blocked by the shroud and I would have to "create" a button extension (this is easy just use a rubber conductive strip and some iphone 4 buttons)

My primary concern is the heat.I'd really hate for the tablet to be ruined but I've also heard they can take some abuse as well.

I do keep my car parked in the shade at home, and I use a windshield screen (don't judge, they work).

Someone please give their .02
Old 06-17-13, 04:28 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Default Update 6-17-13

I won an ebay auction for a Sch I800 Samsung Galaxy tablet (not the tab 2). when it came in, it was a DOA. Tablet would not charge nor turn on.

So I decided to scrap the tablet project and instead go a different route.

found a 7" LCD TFT monitor with HDMI input. These are a very popular alternative to the lilliput brand monitors people on MP3car.com forums use.

New shopping list includes;

7" LCD TFT monitor w/ Control board (HDMI input model) $60

12v-12v step down inverter 5v 50w max. $10

Generic Relay from NAPA $15

3 in 1 HDMI adapter $6

I'm still at $30 less than what I paid for that tablet (these prices include shipping).

I chose a monitor with the HDMI input because of my phone. I'm using a droid razr maxx, and it has the "micro" HDMI connector. I already have the HD dock for my phone and programmed the smart actions app to automatically open torque, as well as di.fm (internet radio).

Now I play the waiting game
Old 06-19-13, 09:21 PM
Joseph22T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a link to the specific page within the automotix.net website where you found the navigation housing for sale? I searched for it was unable to find it, even with the part number. Also, how much did you end up paying for it?

Thanks
Old 06-19-13, 11:05 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should look into the mini android pc. I've been working with them, and seems to work with a bluetooth GPS dongle.
Old 06-20-13, 07:17 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joseph22T
Do you have a link to the specific page within the automotix.net website where you found the navigation housing for sale? I searched for it was unable to find it, even with the part number. Also, how much did you end up paying for it?

Thanks
http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...15ca&seq_num=1

I paid $240 for mine, but the screen to mine was scratched pretty bad (not like I cared). This was the price shipped.

I have thought about the mini android open case pc's I think they run about $135

Last edited by NoMoreVTEC; 06-26-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 11:13 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not even close, I bought two on amazon for about fifty a piece. Virtually the same specs as a lower end tablet.
Old 06-22-13, 09:24 AM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Not even close, I bought two on amazon for about fifty a piece. Virtually the same specs as a lower end tablet.
What model of android pc were you talking about? Hardkernel's Odroid-X2 or Odroid-u2? Those are about 135 and 90 respectively.

Tronsmart also makes a couple I think the MK808 is a popular choice, but last I saw its price was over $100 unless there's been a huge drop in price.

Needless to say, the android "Brain" of this operation isn't going to be the difficult part. The hardest part is finding a relatively inexpensive 7" screen to fit in the nav screen location and finding a way to power everything reliably.
Old 08-26-13, 11:55 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

So its been a while since I updated this thread. I finally decided on what to use. I purchased an MK908 tronsmart PC and it stopped working (thinking a capacitor blew but it's being repaired).

The past couple months have been pretty rough for me (personal issues), and I haven't had much time nor energy to put into the project. I still have my nav unit and I'll eventually get around to it.

Recently I just installed App radio 3, infinity kappa components and kappa 6x9's in the rear. Powered by a Kenwood kac 7005ps amplifier. Sounds pretty good. The sub I have sucks (10 year old P2 punch 4 Ohm), but it works for now.

Instead of running a $100 MK908 tablet pc, I purchased an older droid X phone (battery life isn't too bad) and I keep it in the center console. Since it has the HDMI connection I'll run that with my HKS ob-link to a 7" HDMI input screen in the nav unit. It'll look great when done and hopefully I can have a video and some pictures posted soon.
Old 08-27-13, 05:32 PM
CTFY
Driver School Candidate

Wonder if my local shop can do iPad integration
Old 08-28-13, 03:41 AM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure they can, I just wanted to keep a "stock" like appearance. Hence the option of either a 7" tablet or a 7" screen with an MK908 PC.
Old 06-05-19, 10:05 PM
KamikazeS
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 300 Sat Nav

Do you still have this Sat Nav...I want to buy it from you...email me at kelwal@live.com or add me on Facebook as Kellen Walton...my whatsapp is also +1246 829 0659...Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon as well.