IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New member looking to buy an Is300 !

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 08:32 AM
AdillyWay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member looking to buy an Is300 !

Hi guys, new member here. I've been browsing this forum quite frequently and I've decided to finally register as a member since it's been such a helpful forum

I've spent the last couple of months saving for my very first car (exciting I know) which I have chosen to buy a 2001 Is300. Safe to say I've fallen in love with this car lol. Anyways, I have an opportunity at buying one this weekend and negotiated the price at $4000. It's an automatic and has 280,000 km's (175,000 miles) and the owner says it's been properly maintained and is willing to etest and safety certify it. My question is, would this car be reliable at such a high mileage, how many years would I expect it to last me ? Is it worth it or should I look for another ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-26-13, 12:16 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus

Check the link down below, I'm sure the following threads will aid in your decision.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=2119676
Old 06-26-13, 05:31 PM
AdillyWay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Seize
Welcome to Club Lexus

Check the link down below, I'm sure the following threads will aid in your decision.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=2119676
Hi there, thanks for your reply. Your link doesn't seem to be working unfortunately
Old 06-26-13, 10:04 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AdillyWay
Hi there, thanks for your reply. Your link doesn't seem to be working unfortunately
Sorry about that, not sure what happened.

Anyhow, check the threads below (they're basically discussions about high mileage IS300's)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-i-buy-it.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-mileage.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-mileage.html

Hope this helps
Old 06-27-13, 08:37 AM
nwiese1992
Driver School Candidate

With my experience in sales and cars the car is worth the money for one. It is a Toyota so it will run for ever and it is a 2jz. A car is only as good as its owner so as long as you maintain it I think you will be fine.

That being said it is still a used car so you will have some repairs.
Old 06-27-13, 11:20 AM
AdillyWay
Driver School Candidate

Okay thanks guys. I think I'm going to hold out and save a little longer so I can find an IS with lower mileage just for piece of mind. At least that will give me some time to figure out insurance on this bad boy. Thanks for the help
Old 06-30-13, 05:29 AM
Willmkent
Driver School Candidate

Even a high mileage is can be super reliable there are plenty of people running in the 200's that swear by their car
Old 06-30-13, 08:22 AM
luis300
Rookie

yeah thats true..... mine have 135K miles and run like a champ
Old 06-30-13, 08:36 AM
AdillyWay
Driver School Candidate

These are the two cars I'm currently looking at. Both have about the same amount of mileage and I could get the silver one for $3900, but I haven't gotten the chance to negotiate the price for the white one.

What do you guys think ?

Silver
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/IS...howcpo=ShowCPO

White
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/result/AdD...&frnID=7187603

Last edited by AdillyWay; 06-30-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-01-13, 06:38 AM
TheDane
Driver

Well, they have done about the same kilometers. I would take the white one, looks much better cosmetic than the silver one.. But those rims don't fit though
Old 07-05-13, 03:58 AM
AdillyWay
Driver School Candidate

So as a first time driver and car buyer, would a high mileage is300 be a relatively safe bet ? I know I would get the seller to certify the vehicle beforehand, I just don't want to run into any major repairs from the get go as I am a college student strapped for cash.
Old 07-05-13, 06:09 AM
Emphasis
Driver School Candidate

Try to get a competent mechanic to tag along with you when buying. Best case scenario is the seller letting you take the car to a shop for inspection.

- Check those tires. If those are due anytime soon, that will work to your advantage with negotiating price. Not to mention safety.

- Check for signs of any accident. Body panels not lining up, parts in or around the car being crooked, paint over-spray at sections, etc. Questions will never hurt.

- Inspect any hoses and seal areas for obvious leaks.

- Ask what fluids were used in the car. Again, it's a simple question and will definitely answer a lot about the owner and car.

- A big plus if they let you test drive it. Actually, a must in my opinion. This is where having someone who is competent with cars is handy because they can help test drive the car as well and point out any possible concerns. You can also check if the car has it's CEL (check engine light) light on. Try to bring a code scanner anyway to plug into the car for any hidden codes.

And finally, even if the car has a minor problem/s, still take them into account because those little issues can certainly add up. Or turn into bigger headaches; And you definitely don't need that as a first-time young buyer. If the owner has receipts for the car that's a big plus.
Old 07-05-13, 06:16 AM
Emphasis
Driver School Candidate

So as a first time driver and car buyer, would a high mileage is300 be a relatively safe bet ? I know I would get the seller to certify the vehicle beforehand, I just don't want to run into any major repairs from the get go as I am a college student strapped for cash.
Your best bet would be a reliable Toyota or Honda. Buying a Lexus as a first vehicle may sound nifty, but that will quickly go away if your vehicle will need multiple repairs.

See my advice above to help alleviate the majority of used car buying issues. It's still a Lexus though, so start putting some money to the side for when it will need repairing.
Old 07-05-13, 08:28 AM
AdillyWay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Emphasis
Try to get a competent mechanic to tag along with you when buying. Best case scenario is the seller letting you take the car to a shop for inspection.

- Check those tires. If those are due anytime soon, that will work to your advantage with negotiating price. Not to mention safety.

- Check for signs of any accident. Body panels not lining up, parts in or around the car being crooked, paint over-spray at sections, etc. Questions will never hurt.

- Inspect any hoses and seal areas for obvious leaks.

- Ask what fluids were used in the car. Again, it's a simple question and will definitely answer a lot about the owner and car.

- A big plus if they let you test drive it. Actually, a must in my opinion. This is where having someone who is competent with cars is handy because they can help test drive the car as well and point out any possible concerns. You can also check if the car has it's CEL (check engine light) light on. Try to bring a code scanner anyway to plug into the car for any hidden codes.

And finally, even if the car has a minor problem/s, still take them into account because those little issues can certainly add up. Or turn into bigger headaches; And you definitely don't need that as a first-time young buyer. If the owner has receipts for the car that's a big plus.
Oh wow, excellent information, very informative !
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some helpful advice. I definitely will test drive the car as that is a must for me before I make a purchase. If the car doesn't come certified I'll have to get the seller to allow me to take it to a mechanic's shop to inspect it or else I won't buy it. I'll also have a friend and his dad with me (they buy and sell used cars) so they have experience in this sort of stuff.

By the way, at 175,000 miles, when would the timing belt need to be changed again ?
Old 07-05-13, 02:42 PM
Emphasis
Driver School Candidate

Oh wow, excellent information, very informative !
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some helpful advice. I definitely will test drive the car as that is a must for me before I make a purchase. If the car doesn't come certified I'll have to get the seller to allow me to take it to a mechanic's shop to inspect it or else I won't buy it. I'll also have a friend and his dad with me (they buy and sell used cars) so they have experience in this sort of stuff.

By the way, at 175,000 miles, when would the timing belt need to be changed again ?
You're welcome. Sounds good.

There is no exact number on when to replace the timing belt. I'm going to assume it's been long enough though with that many miles. Knowing exactly when it was changed would help. If it was somewhat recently; knowing what parts they used helps as well.

If it's in need of a new belt[s], again that plays into negotiating. Your money so don't be shy with it.