IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Why doesn't Lexus come up w/ an IS based SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 02:12 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Why doesn't Lexus come up w/ an IS based SUV?

Several years ago when Lexus announced plans to build the IS to compete w/ the BMW 3 series, I suggested to a Lexus regional manager at a car show that Lexus should consider building a smaller SUV (smaller than RX) based on the IS. I felt there was a sizeable market for a smaller luxury SUV since there was (still doesn't) none available in this class at the time because I was looking for one. He said he didn't think there was a market for such a smaller SUV.

Last year Car&Driver reported rumors of BMW building a smaller X5 SUV. Well, it's no longer a rumor because BMW has confirmed and displayed a new X3 SUV based on the 3 series coming late this year or early next year. BMW said there was a lot of request for such smaller SUVs and they felt there would a market for it. If Lexus had released an IS based SUV back then, I believe Lexus would've made a huge killing since there was no competition. Now of course Lexus will have to do catch-up. What do you folks think? Do you think Lexus will ever come up w/ a new IS based SUV in the near future?
Old 01-16-03, 09:06 PM
shafee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

As of last count Toyota/Lexus has the ff SUVs:
Landcruiser, Seqouia, Fourrunner, Highlander, RAV4, Rx300, LX and the GX!!!!
Do you really think that Toyota ought to add to this shameful lineup of gaz guzzling, lumbering people haulers?
I think Toyota should start focusing on sportier cars to improve a very boring image and enough is enough as far as SUVs go.
Old 01-17-03, 12:51 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

No more SUV is OK by me too but then they need to come up with a SportCross that offers the 4-wheel drive option. That may have a much better chance of going into production than the IS based SUV since the next generation GS4 is said to offer the 4WD option.
Old 01-17-03, 08:43 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

A Sportcross with 4WD will be nice but Lexus needs to up the power since the current output is marginally adequate. I understand from Lexus that the sales on the IS is disappointing and hardly made a dent in the BMW 3 series territory. With very low sales projection on the Sportcross, I really doubt Lexus will spend the money developing a 4WD option for it. They may come up with high power IS sedan to compete with the BMW M3 but other than that, I really don't see Lexus doing anything more to the IS line. LexusPia, the new BMW X3 SAV looks very interesting and I agree with you that it may be a hot seller once it gets into production since there's no competition in that "near-luxury" class.
Old 01-19-03, 11:31 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

actually, wouldn't an suv version of the IS300 be more like in the range of a subaru forrester?? If so, then doesn't the sportcross IS (aka altezza gita) suffice?? In Japan it competes well against a mazda atenza, which is a nice looking car, especially for a mazda. theres also a toyota caldina, which i like
Old 01-25-03, 01:30 PM
ruki400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more SUVs! Lexus has 3 which is fine.