IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Advice and Tips for flywheel/clutch set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13 | 11:42 AM
MizzIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default Advice and Tips for flywheel/clutch set up

Hey guys, so my clutch was slipping terribly and was thinking about swapping in an exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel (unless my flywheel was able to be resurfaced). After taking out the clutch and flywheel I found out that the previous owner installed a LUK Dual Mass Flywheel. (I'm not sure if the car comes stock with a DMF, I've heard that they do..)It is definitely able to be resurfaced, but I would also need to get it fixed since some of the springs went out etc. it will cost a total of around $160 to fix and resurface.
So my question is, is it worth it for me to keep the DMF or should I just buy a whole new clutch kit(the exedy and fidanza combo) I know the DMF aren't made for modified cars and is only really supposed to be daily driven, no overload. My car is not modified, but I do like to get on it ever once in a while and my boyfriend loves getting sideways in it. I like to abuse my car a little every once in a while and am afraid the DMF won't be able to handle it. And I MIGHT turbo my car in the future. I'll definitely get an aftermarket exhaust to swap on soon.
So advice, tips, input.. help a girl out
Thanks!
Old 10-03-13 | 11:36 AM
glassjaw
Driver School Candidate

contrary to what others may have said, dual mass flywheels cannot be resurfaced. from my knowledge there is no way to keep the flywheel stable on the turning table. you would end up with it being a few thousandths off or more. replace and dont look back.

in my experience a lightweight flywheel for DD purposes isnt the best choice. it requires much more finesse and can get tiresome after a while. either swap to a single mass and sprung clutch disc, or replace the DMF and unsprung disc