IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2001 is300 headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 08:08 PM
James4394
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 is300 headlight questions

Looking for black housing headlights cheap not looking to spend 400 on a pair of headlights found tai lights for 165 just need some nice headlights to pair any thoughts or ideas?
Old 01-25-14, 04:34 AM
pierre2jz
Driver School Candidate

Depo and Eagle-eyes = crappy output and crappy cutoff beampattern. Well known all over internet on any Lexus forum.
So if you only drive in daylight its for you, driving much in dark on countryroads with much trafic, not for you.

Paint the ones you have instead is my tips.
Old 01-25-14, 04:55 AM
James4394
Driver

Originally Posted by pierre2jz
Depo and Eagle-eyes = crappy output and crappy cutoff beampattern. Well known all over internet on any Lexus forum.
So if you only drive in daylight its for you, driving much in dark on countryroads with much trafic, not for you.

Paint the ones you have instead is my tips.
I was thinking about that but is it true the housing never goes back together correctly I heard the bond never really sticks back together again
Old 01-25-14, 01:23 PM
pierre2jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by James4394
I was thinking about that but is it true the housing never goes back together correctly I heard the bond never really sticks back together again
I don´t know I have only opened one of my old ones just to so how easy it was, but It´s that put togheter part I´m a little afraid of.
And since I live in Sweden were we have very much rain and cold long winters I didn´t want to take the risk.
I bought Eagle-eyes from Ebay since my old ones had burned reflectors, but I didn´t make my homework before I did that, the cutoff is either euro or US, its som mix there between with hotspots and very very crappy output.
So now I´m ordering new ones at Toyota, and those will not be opened up and painted black, not for what they cost
Old 01-25-14, 04:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Perhaps you got a bad set of the eagle eyes, mine are perfect... You do realize they need to be adjusted and leveled, with which there are up and down and left to right adjustments??? Also keep in mind even new stock OEM headlights will not have a clean cutoff, as they are not projectors, they are reflector style headlights and it simply isn't possible without retrofitting to projectors inside the lenses...
Old 01-25-14, 07:50 PM
pierre2jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Perhaps you got a bad set of the eagle eyes, mine are perfect... You do realize they need to be adjusted and leveled, with which there are up and down and left to right adjustments??? Also keep in mind even new stock OEM headlights will not have a clean cutoff, as they are not projectors, they are reflector style headlights and it simply isn't possible without retrofitting to projectors inside the lenses...
I know my way around car lightning and stuff like that, I worked as a car mechanic for 7 years, 5 of them at Toyota. So I have changed and adjusted a couple of bulbs and headlights in my days So don´t worry about that bit

The E-code headlights on IS200/IS300 have a very sharp and clean cutoff, the Eagle-eyes don´t, that is fact, I have adjusted them as good as they can be with a lightadjusting device like this.
No matter what type of E-spec headlight (fluted glass, reflector or projector) you look at in a thing like this you always get the asymmetric cutoff, if the bulb is correctly seated and the reflector ain´t damaged or so.
But the Eagle-eyes can´t even make a straight line across this, it just makes a mess on a big area and a couple of hot spots with wierd patterns

Old 01-26-14, 06:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Like I said, yours might, but mine are dang near perfect as possible...
Old 01-26-14, 06:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Like I said, yours might, but mine are dang near perfect as possible... In fact, I checked last night, and the cutoff is better than I remembered it... (I don't drive the car much in the winter)
Old 01-26-14, 09:40 AM
pierre2jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Like I said, yours might, but mine are dang near perfect as possible... In fact, I checked last night, and the cutoff is better than I remembered it... (I don't drive the car much in the winter)
Maybe you are lucky then and have got a pair they actually managed to make correctly.
All others I have read about who has Eagle-eyes have the same crappy output and cutoff.
I regret not searching on forums before I bought mine, if it only it had been a clean DOT cutoff I could have lived with it