IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

The IS 300 is a chick's car.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 05:05 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of IS300s at my college (U of Kentucky), and every single one of them is driven by a girl. A good-looking girl, at that. Now all I need to do is hook up w/ one of them.
Old 02-25-03, 11:44 PM
napdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the new front end design on the 3-series. The headlights are too Z4ish and the foglights look nasty. I prefer the current design of the M3.

Anyway, I see more males driving IS300's in the Chicago area than females. I also see just as many, if not more, females driving 3-series bimmers. I don't see why the IS300 would particularly appeal to females. It seems to be more of a "boy racer" car--not that I consider myself a boy racer. A visit to is300.net might help to reinforce that characterization. However, I do have to admit that one of my girlfriends called my IS "cute."

I'd be driving a 300Ci right now if the IS300 wasn't 90% as much car for around $10k less. 3.9% financing from Lexus didn't hurt either.
Old 02-26-03, 07:41 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

I'd say 85% of the IS3 drivers I see in Milwaukee area are 20-30 something males, however every female I have seen driving the IS3 has been a 20-30 something looker! Chick's car? I think not... not around here anyways.

I'd say the most disappointing thing about IS3's around here though is that they're all STOCK! I have yet to see a nicely mod'd one.

I strongly considered an IS3 when I bought the TT, but what stopped me was the in my daily driver and only car for Wisconsin, I preferred the Quattro to RWD for winter conditions... I LOVE this IS3 - it's in my top 5 favorite cars that are within my affordable reach... And IMO, NOTHING beats the bright bluish-white HID's over ion yellow foggies look at night - it's sooo killer.
Old 02-27-03, 11:01 AM
5speed300
Pole Position

My dad is 6'4 and he could fit into an IS. Just order one without a sunroof.
Old 03-09-03, 12:26 PM
1.5RS-T
Rookie

There are more race versions of the IS300 - Such as the Altezza. GS versions are popular also, parts are really expensive. I have a really big fan of the Aristo (twin turbo GS).

If I have a choice, I would go for the Aristo. If you are look to push the car, IS300 are much more fun, 5spd.
Cars are Cars, there are no gender specific, man. Like or hate it.
Old 03-11-03, 03:23 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I think it really depends on where u live. At my college... St. Louis U, mostly all the IS's are driven by guys. In general I see more guys driven em than women. The ES is a different story though...

About the 330ci vs IS300, i think stock for stock, the BMW will out accelate and out handle the IS, but if u wanna seriously tune it, the BMW's motor will never be able to handle as much hp as the cast-iron 2JZ I-6. Although this is all gonna prolly chance when the IS is redesigned and they slip in an Aluminum V6 It all really comes down to what you want out of your car.
Old 03-18-03, 09:22 PM
sdzapata
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I'm in San Diego, I do see plenty of chicks driving the is but I also see a lot of guys, If anything more guys. But there are deffinately more chicks driving 3 series around, alot of convertibles w/ the girls. If you're worried about the the IS 300 still, you should check out the new IS sport edition. I test drove it the other day this car does not look like a chick ride, the new wheels and the front grille, give it more of heavy sporty look. I found an ad online that said I could get a free subscription to media week if I test drive the car, It turned out to be a good deal, great test drive a free mag, check it out

sdzapata

http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/..._indicators.jsp
Old 03-19-03, 10:40 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IS is a little too tight for my taste (and I'm only 5'10")... if it where a bit bigger more guys would get this car (maybe). Car looks very sporty and performs well, but size does matter! hp too.
Old 03-20-03, 05:48 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

6'7" and no complaints on size, that's what adjustable seats are made for. It is quite a bit bigger than my previous prelude, 300zxTT, civic coupe, and CRX, probably bigger than my frontier KC too
Old 03-20-03, 04:06 PM
spdrcr
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Girl's car?????

I don't know how you can say that the IS looks like a girl's car. This car has serious style. Go check out the IS SportDesign and you'll see what I'm talking about. I hardly think a car with wheels like that and the new Thundercould metallic color should qualify as a chick car.
Old 03-20-03, 04:18 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

......well I guess it may not matter anyway, I am already working a new car deal for a 330i, everyone says that the Beemer's are so great, and I get no respect for my Lexus at work, all the other engineer's drive BMW's...there so stupid they think it has front wheel drive, so annoying....
Old 03-20-03, 05:14 PM
spdrcr
Driver School Candidate

Default Tell those guys...

I agree that a lot of people do not give the IS the respect it deserves. Tell those guys to go test drive one! If they go to http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi and you get a freee subscri[tion to live365 when you test drive the new SportDesign.

Trust me. After they drive it you'll never hear them give you any grief about driving a Lexus again. They'll be jealous.
Old 03-20-03, 05:36 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusnexus
......well I guess it may not matter anyway, I am already working a new car deal for a 330i, everyone says that the Beemer's are so great, and I get no respect for my Lexus at work, all the other engineer's drive BMW's...there so stupid they think it has front wheel drive, so annoying....
Wow, your IS is only a 2002, why changing so quickly?

I have 01 GS430 and a 03 330i Sport and I have to say although 2 totally different cars, the 330i is so fun to drive and I really enjoy it. The kick that it gives you in acceleration as well as the tight handling and sportiness, really makes the 330i a FUUUUNNNNNN car. I would highly recommend it, especialy with the Sports Package. It really is a true sports sedan!
Old 03-20-03, 07:06 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by lexguynj
Wow, your IS is only a 2002, why changing so quickly?

I have 01 GS430 and a 03 330i Sport and I have to say although 2 totally different cars, the 330i is so fun to drive and I really enjoy it. The kick that it gives you in acceleration as well as the tight handling and sportiness, really makes the 330i a FUUUUNNNNNN car. I would highly recommend it, especialy with the Sports Package. It really is a true sports sedan!

...yeah and my IS only has 6,000 miles on it, I like the car....but I have heard over and over again how much better the 330i is...... so fine...I'll buy that and try it, my wife I think likes the 330i better anyway, I found sports package equipped new 2003 330i with HID,moonroof, wood trim, for $38,000.....seems high, I only paid $30,500 for the IS....why it's so much more, I dunno

....I'll update everyone by the end of this weekend...
Old 03-20-03, 07:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by lexusnexus
...yeah and my IS only has 6,000 miles on it, I like the car....but I have heard over and over again how much better the 330i is...... so fine...I'll buy that and try it, my wife I think likes the 330i better anyway, I found sports package equipped new 2003 330i with HID,moonroof, wood trim, for $38,000.....seems high, I only paid $30,500 for the IS....why it's so much more, I dunno

....I'll update everyone by the end of this weekend...
you always pay overprice for bimmer, that's for sure. it's definitely nice cars, but the price is right there

Quick Reply: The IS 300 is a chick's car.....