IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

The IS 300 is a chick's car.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 05:01 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The IS 300 is a chick's car.....

...I'm sure to get flak for this one, but whatever.....the IS is a chick car, I never see dudes driving an IS, just middle aged females......and for bit guy like me (6'3 220) I'm pushing the limit anyway...my wife says the car looks good on me, and, this is the second one I have bought new.....I reckon' I'd buy the GS for sure, but seems to dated now.... ?
Old 02-20-03, 08:19 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too thought the GS was looking dated but when I saw the new MB E Class I was feeling a bit better. Park the new E Class next to my GS and you can see that even the current generation is still looking good.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=521

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=500

Last edited by jimxo; 02-20-03 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 02:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to disagree with you on this one because most of the IS drivers I've seen are well educated young men. I think 70% of the IS drivers are men who's in college or just graduate from college. Most of them have the latest gadgets aviable in their car and they're computer savvy. Yes, I do see a lot of women driving the IS too,but they're really out going kind of people.
I think I've seen more women driving the GS than the IS, 50/50 compare to men.
Old 02-21-03, 03:01 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally posted by jimxo
I too thought the GS was looking dated but when I saw the new MB E Class I was feeling a bit better. Park the new E Class next to my GS and you can see that even the current generation is still looking good.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=521

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=500
i couldn't disagree more, new E-class looks 10x better than the GS and yes the GS looks dated (the rear 1/4 panel is disgusting). Not to mention the overly cushy ride.
Old 02-21-03, 07:04 PM
IS300_Chic
Driver

Around here in PA there are hardly any IS's. But the ones i do see are mostly college males. But i'm a college student only 18 and i drive an IS. Ocassionaly i see some other females but not often!!

Last edited by IS300_Chic; 03-26-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 08:12 AM
shafee
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree. I see far more young women driving the IS than young men. I think the men like the shape but are put off by the mediocre power. If Lexus makes the car more powerful and on par with other cars in this price range and especially if it brings out the coupe I think more men would buy it. I like the general shape but cannot get over the power and performance handicap compared to other cars.
Old 02-22-03, 01:40 PM
LexFather

I find more dudes driving IS 300s then women, maybe about 60/40. Our SELOC club has had 1 lady IS owner but the rest are men.

i couldn't disagree more, new E-class looks 10x better than the GS and yes the GS looks dated (the rear 1/4 panel is disgusting). Not to mention the overly cushy ride.
E-class looks good to me cause it looks like a GS. GS does not look dated at all, IMO. The previous E does not look dated either. And if you think the GS is cushy, drive an E-class.
Old 02-22-03, 03:07 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I find more dudes driving IS 300s then women, maybe about 60/40. Our SELOC club has had 1 lady IS owner but the rest are men.

E-class looks good to me cause it looks like a GS. GS does not look dated at all, IMO. The previous E does not look dated either. And if you think the GS is cushy, drive an E-class.
I have driven both. New E320 with airmatic DC does not have a saggy feel like the GS does after you put about 25k on the clock.
Old 02-24-03, 01:54 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Well in my area there are more guys driving the IS. There are quite a few girls too though. The difference is all the guys mod their IS (ground effects, rims, system) whereas the girls leave them stock.

The demographic is young ambitious males. College students or recent grads. Highly techy

I think that stock the IS is unisex. But anytime you buy a car that chicks like its a chick magnet.
Old 02-24-03, 10:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to say this, however as a Lexus (GS) and BMW 330i owner, you will be smiling from ear to ear all the time if you change over to a BMW 330i with sports package.

When I was shopping for a sportier car, the IS300 looked nice, but it just seemed to small. Of course Lexus reliability is still the best. But the IS300 didn't exhibit excitement IMO.

However the BMW 330i with sports package (nice thick staggered tires and oem body kit) made me drool. I'm telling you the kick in this car is incredible for only having 225HP. There is something about driving a German car that is so much fun.

When reviews say that the BMW 3 series is the benchmark in it's class at first I didn't believe, now I do believe. I can't even explain how cool this car is. Definitely consider it if you are not happy with your IS300 (which is still a great car).

Sorry I had to vent.
Old 02-24-03, 10:29 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I HAD TO PROVIDE A VISUAL:
Attached Thumbnails The IS 300 is a chick's car.....-330-1.jpg  
Old 02-25-03, 01:43 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

That looks more like a girl's car than the IS, I guess that's why my wife wants a 2 door 3-series, and hates my IS
Old 02-25-03, 06:11 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by SDuquette
That looks more like a girl's car than the IS, I guess that's why my wife wants a 2 door 3-series, and hates my IS

...I have to agree, the 3 series is to generic,what I really want for 'alpha male' status on the road is the M5, of course $65,000 is bit more than I want to spend .......if I ever did a lease it, which I think are terrible, I could justify doing it for a an M5....I really like the aggro, kick *** look of the M5
Old 02-25-03, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by lexusnexus
...I have to agree, the 3 series is to generic,what I really want for 'alpha male' status on the road is the M5, of course $65,000 is bit more than I want to spend .......if I ever did a lease it, which I think are terrible, I could justify doing it for a an M5....I really like the aggro, kick *** look of the M5
though with the m5 you will end up paying 80k
Old 02-25-03, 10:50 AM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

i dunno about you guys but i think the IS and the 3 series both look great.

and i don't think the IS is a girls car, i know a lot of guys that drive an IS and very few women.

Quick Reply: The IS 300 is a chick's car.....