IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 bogging

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 11:28 AM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation IS300 bogging

Let my dad drive recently and he told me he noticed the car being louder with a loss of power, I tested it out and I could agree. Few days following it got even louder, then noticed even more power loss. One day I tried to pass up a car @ 4k-4.5k rpm and it sounded like VTEC kicked it. Super loud and rumble from underneath, assumed it was my Cat so I replaced mines with a buddies' OEM Cat. Found a honeycomb looking thing inside my old one so thought that solved the reason why but guess not. Did a whole spark plug and wire tune up, cleaned the TB and MAF. (Hoping it's not timing related or OCV) Still doing the same. No power at all from 1st gear all the way through, sounds like its going to die when i'm on the gas pedal. Need help please, I'm also assuming it could be my Coil Plugs maybe? Been sitting in my drive way for a good 2 weeks now and I want this baby running asap. Thanks!
Old 07-08-15, 11:30 AM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

As of right now it's not going pass 3k-3.5k rpm
Old 07-08-15, 01:55 PM
Timn8or
Driver School Candidate

When you had the cat out, did you notice any of the honeycomb missing? How many miles are on the car?
Old 07-08-15, 03:55 PM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Timn8or
When you had the cat out, did you notice any of the honeycomb missing? How many miles are on the car?
Yeah, they were just flopping around the Cat.
Old 07-08-15, 07:03 PM
LocalIS300
Driver School Candidate

I'm confused, did your friend's cat replacement fix the problem? Rattling honeycomb could mean that your cat is destroyed and not providing enough back pressure.
When you replaced the cat, did the noise level decrease?
Old 07-08-15, 07:56 PM
Timn8or
Driver School Candidate

More than likely, the chunks of catalyst out of your cat blew down the exhaust into the resonator or muffler and are stopping up the exhaust. The loud sound your hearing from the front is the exhaust having nowhere to go under a load and having to wait until the intake valve opens before it can escape. I would check farther down the exhaust system towards the rear of the car for chunks that may have come from the converter. I had this same problem on an Avalon. Shop told guy it needed an engine. It lost power and made a loud sound when given throttle. I deduced the sound was exhaust coming out the intake when the valve opened. That was right on the money. Pulled the cats and cleaned the resonator out, now car runs like new.
Old 07-08-15, 10:07 PM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LocalIS300
I'm confused, did your friend's cat replacement fix the problem? Rattling honeycomb could mean that your cat is destroyed and not providing enough back pressure.
When you replaced the cat, did the noise level decrease?
Sorry if it wasnt clear but my friends cat did fix the noise. Still didnt fix the main problem though.
Old 07-08-15, 10:10 PM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

More than likely, the chunks of catalyst out of your cat blew down the exhaust into the resonator or muffler and are stopping up the exhaust. The loud sound your hearing from the front is the exhaust having nowhere to go under a load and having to wait until the intake valve opens before it can escape. I would check farther down the exhaust system towards the rear of the car for chunks that may have come from the converter. I had this same problem on an Avalon. Shop told guy it needed an engine. It lost power and made a loud sound when given throttle. I deduced the sound was exhaust coming out the intake when the valve opened. That was right on the money. Pulled the cats and cleaned the resonator out, now car runs like new.
Thanks, sounds good, ill give that a shot and update when i can otherwise hope others can give me some more input.
Old 07-08-15, 10:12 PM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

Read it too fast but 149,xxx and ive only seen one honeycomb.
Old 07-10-15, 10:17 AM
Timn8or
Driver School Candidate

The noise you heard may have been the loose pieces in the cat. As far as the power loss issue at higher rpm, that's probably from clogged exhaust due to some pieces coming free from the cat.
Old 07-10-15, 03:31 PM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

The noise you heard may have been the loose pieces in the cat. As far as the power loss issue at higher rpm, that's probably from clogged exhaust due to some pieces coming free from the cat.
Ill keep you posted once I can get my hands on it. Thanks
Old 07-27-15, 08:06 AM
SLexus02
Driver School Candidate

Took a while for me to get back to you but you were right. The Resonator got clogged up so I cut that son of a itch out and replaced with a new pipe. Thanks!