15k mile SportCross in 2016?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 03:31 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k mile SportCross in 2016?!

My 02 GG SportCross still serving flawlessly with 224k miles
(Though I did wish for a manual and a little more oomph now and then)
Couldn't find an Audi BMW or CTS-V wagon for price and trust,

So I bought another SportCross. (now have 2

The "new" MS SportCross has just 15k miles
(So new and tight now)

So now comes the question::

Drive bone stock another 220k like last one?
W55 manual swap N/A as if built Original stock 2005?
R154 or AR5 swap in case I add power later?
Or is it a crime just to drive it more than to shows?
Implying should Store / preserve it with low miles?
Old 01-28-16, 09:38 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd say keep the baby a baby, and continue racking up the miles on your 224K mile wagon.
Old 01-28-16, 10:01 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

jesus, that's still a brand new car. sportcrosses are hard to find as it is let alone one that's got no miles on it.

however,
the car is eleven years old and was never driven, its probably never seen a major service and enough time has passed that most of the rubber and gaskets have probably dried up, and has all original parts. id keep it as a garage queen under a tarp man. I have a feeling the sportcross has strong potential future valuble classic car 20-30 years from now. maybe drive it around the neighborhood on the weekends and put it away most of the time. wow what a find.
Old 01-28-16, 06:27 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stereorob
jesus, that's still a brand new car. sportcrosses are hard to find as it is let alone one that's got no miles on it.

however,
the car is eleven years old and was never driven, its probably never seen a major service and enough time has passed that most of the rubber and gaskets have probably dried up, and has all original parts. id keep it as a garage queen under a tarp man. I have a feeling the sportcross has strong potential future valuble classic car 20-30 years from now. maybe drive it around the neighborhood on the weekends and put it away most of the time. wow what a find.
Thx ... I'm enjoying it a bit for now... Only 4mi to work so...

It Had a good bit of Lexus dealer time, including 30k PM and so on.... Garage kept the rubber good and leather snug and smooth

If I could find a really clean tan drivers seat, the 225k car would look great too....except for scratchy dash.... What is the solution there?
Where to get seats and how to fix the dash (replace? With what?)
Old 01-29-16, 06:35 AM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure if you guys know about "lexusdrivers.com"

you can sign up for free, and put your VIN to register your vehicle and you can see all service records on your pre owned lexus vehicles.

I'm the third owner of my MSM IS, 4th owner of my Black IS, and 2nd owner of my White IS. I pulled all service records off that site. Really cool tool to have, especially with a find like a 15k mile sportcross. I'm jealous.
Old 01-31-16, 02:44 PM
isSportX
Driver School Candidate

Don, regarding your questions, decided to address them here so others can weight in if interested.

Question: Any solution for sticky dash?

No, that's a new one for me. Particularly since the car seems to have been garaged. Does your aged 2002 have the same issue?

Old 01-31-16, 03:01 PM
isSportX
Driver School Candidate

Question: Where to look for OEM trunk mat?

Ebay has lots of is300 parts for sale. I have two mint mats; don't use them in my cars.

Old 01-31-16, 03:03 PM
isSportX
Driver School Candidate

Question: Any known solution to CD player?

None easy. eBay has whole dash units for sale, though CD isn't guaranteed to work.

Old 01-31-16, 03:17 PM
isSportX
Driver School Candidate

Question: Do you think the 15kmi car worth preserving (hoard it in the garage under cover and save for shows) or will it simply depreciate with time despite the low miles?

I think it will appreciate if you keep it in mint condition. Fix the dash issue. Must be driven some. I drive my 2005 Sportcross (42K miles) at least once a week just to keep the battery charged. The links I've been posting to the early thread about Sportcross pricing http://goo.gl/B5SwXl shows that Carmax believes low-mileage Sportcross and Sedans (mostly 2005s) are worth a lot more than what you get plugging into Kelly Blue Book.

Old 02-01-16, 05:17 AM
isSportX
Driver School Candidate

Issue: Virtually a Brand new car. But still 11yrs old (mildly dated). No modern Bluetooth. No cameras etc. No manual.

It's dated technology, for sure. So what. It's a collector's car. The most reliable one around (except for your very dated CD player). Witnesss your old Sportcross with 225K. Of the three I've owned, the only parts that have failed are oxygen sensors, hydraulic rear door lifts, and one water pump (the Lexus dealer also replaced the timing belt for free at the same time). Plus I think the styling of the wagon is very distinctive and cool. People often stop me or my wife in parking lots to ask about the car. Valet parking guys (not recommended for your 2005) always are intrigued. So I would say the styling is dated in a positive way.

Old 02-02-16, 04:17 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isSportX
Issue: Virtually a Brand new car. But still 11yrs old (mildly dated). No modern Bluetooth. No cameras etc. No manual.

It's dated technology, for sure. So what. It's a collector's car. The most reliable one around (except for your very dated CD player). Witnesss your old Sportcross with 225K. Of the three I've owned, the only parts that have failed are oxygen sensors, hydraulic rear door lifts, and one water pump (the Lexus dealer also replaced the timing belt for free at the same time). Plus I think the styling of the wagon is very distinctive and cool. People often stop me or my wife in parking lots to ask about the car. Valet parking guys (not recommended for your 2005) always are intrigued. So I would say the styling is dated in a positive way.

Don't get m wrong.
I love the style across the board.

I was merely saying that as a 2005, I give up a few modern features common In a newer ride.

I found a Bluetooth retrofit that will allow hands free calls/music and leave the dash and amps etc stock.
Old 02-02-16, 04:28 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Question: Do you think the 15kmi car worth preserving (hoard it in the garage under cover and save for shows) or will it simply depreciate with time despite the low miles?

I think it will appreciate if you keep it in mint condition. Fix the dash issue. Must be driven some. I drive my 2005 Sportcross (42K miles) at least once a week just to keep the battery charged. The links I've been posting to the early thread about Sportcross pricing http://goo.gl/B5SwXl shows that Carmax believes low-mileage Sportcross and Sedans (mostly 2005s) are worth a lot more than what you get plugging into Kelly Blue Book.

So.... I'll map prices for a bit and limit the miles.
(I'm only burning 6k / year at the moment anyhow
Old 02-02-16, 04:46 PM
isSportX
Driver School Candidate

Don: Don't get m wrong. I love the style across the board.

Style is paramount for collector's cars. World is awash in cookie-cutter cars, including my brilliantly modified BMW 335i. Stumbled across it after searching unsuccessfully for a year for a tight low-mileage Sportcross like yours (and my 2005). Ironically, few of these Carmax Sportcross offerings that I've posted recently popped up while I was searching. If so, would have beat a path to the Carmax's door.

Back to reliability: my bulletproof original 2002 Sportcross (now my wife's car) has built in navigation, along with every other option. Fourteen years later the GPS works flawlessly. Imagine that.

Please keep us updated on how you plan to update your Sportcross.

Old 02-02-16, 04:50 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Don, regarding your questions, decided to address them here so others can weight in if interested.

Question: Any solution for sticky dash?

No, that's a new one for me. Particularly since the car seems to have been garaged. Does your aged 2002 have the same issue?

2005 Dash is gooood next to the 2002.... They are both soft and easily scratched
Toyota is fully engaged in class action suit and providing settlement to 2006 fwd owners in form of replacements... Pre-2006 owners till pushing but not on the list as yet ... I read descriptions suggesting Plasticization effect associated with both heat and "protectants" ... As though oils in soft touch want to come out under heat and plastic barely stable until someone adds armor all

I have seen several therapies, but not enough detail to have confidence in any plan other than apply pressure to lexus for now....
Remove, strip soft touch and respray
Slowly rub with goo gone and other stuff ... No detail on sequence or technique

I'll read more and post if I find anything

If anyone knows a link to a solution... Please post
Old 02-02-16, 04:55 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01MSMSXE10
not sure if you guys know about "lexusdrivers.com"

you can sign up for free, and put your VIN to register your vehicle and you can see all service records on your pre owned lexus vehicles.

I'm the third owner of my MSM IS, 4th owner of my Black IS, and 2nd owner of my White IS. I pulled all service records off that site. Really cool tool to have, especially with a find like a 15k mile sportcross. I'm jealous.
I had the Lexus dealer change fluids and inspect the car and have all the records so they were helpful.

Car fax found most as well.

Quick Reply: 15k mile SportCross in 2016?!