IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Odd noise in IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 10:03 PM
stanghater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noise in IS

I have searched and cant find exactly what im looking for. My car (02 IS300) has this weird... whine? Its not really a whine, i dont know how to explain it. To me it sounds like a fuel pump thats about to go out. Its at idel, driving slow, WOT, all the time. Its not the fuel pump though because I turned the ignition on and I can hear the fuel pump come on but doesnt make the noise. I need a accessory belt desperately and Im wondering if the belt could be making the noise. Maybe the pulley? Anythoughts?
Old 05-11-16, 12:15 AM
PowerTrip
Driver School Candidate

maybe the water pump. my engine was making a weird noise a couple years back and my mechanic found that the water pump went bad.
Old 06-03-16, 07:43 AM
RBabros
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Originally Posted by stanghater
I have searched and cant find exactly what im looking for. My car (02 IS300) has this weird... whine? Its not really a whine, i dont know how to explain it. To me it sounds like a fuel pump thats about to go out. Its at idel, driving slow, WOT, all the time. Its not the fuel pump though because I turned the ignition on and I can hear the fuel pump come on but doesnt make the noise. I need a accessory belt desperately and Im wondering if the belt could be making the noise. Maybe the pulley? Anythoughts?
Where is the sound coming from (engine bay, transmission, rear of car, etc.)? Do it do it when it's cold, hot or both? My car is whining right now, but it's my a/c compressor. Try turning the a/c on and off, if it goes away when you turn it off then it's the pump. If it doesn't, take a really long flat-head screw driver, put the tip of the driver on/near where you suspect the noise is coming from and put the handle to your hear. The noise has a frequency that transfers through the handle into your ear. The louder it gets, the closer you are to your problem.

Things to check:
-Drive belt tensioner pulley bearing (tip of driver to bracket)
-Alternator internal regulator can buzz when it's going out (tip to housing)
-Power steering pump (tip to housing)
-water pump (tip to housing)

Just poke around a little bit. Let us know what you find!
Old 06-05-16, 02:34 PM
tgt90
Driver School Candidate

it's a sound that you can hear where it sounds like its coming from behind the dashboard (passenger side)?
Old 07-30-16, 08:57 AM
ISKorey
Driver School Candidate

if it sounds a lot like the fuel pump it could also be your radio. sounds dumb i know but ive heard a high pitch whining noise come from radios almost not noticeable if your not listening for it. Sounds like the fuel pump but quieter and higher pitched. Any updates?