IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Tranny Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 11:27 PM
1uzfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Troubles

Hello everyone, this is my first day of membership to CLUB LEXUS. I purchased a 1995 LS 400 for 400 dollars, I did so knowing the tranny had just recently started to have some issues. The problem is it will not engage any gear, well it has a couple of times. I have read that sometimes the wires that reside in the trunk hindge, the headlights, dashlights, taillights can be related to the tranny problem. This is the way it all went down. A lady friend of mine previously owned the car it was overheating, I put a brand new radiator in for her, one of the fittings for the tranny cooler was cracked and i did not catch it. I get a phone call from her she says the car just stopped, I go to get the car to tow it back to the shop and find the problem. I replace the fitting add 3.5 quarts of fluid and wala car moves under its own power again. (i put dextron II fluid I did not know you shouldn't do that) Anyways i drive the car for 30 to 40 min. no slipping, no sluggish shifting, no burnt smell of fluid. I return the car and she calls me 10 minutes later its doing it again. I go to rescue her, Im thinking the converter sucked up some of the fluid and its just low again. I put 2 quarts in and wala fixed the car moves again, I put it in park so I can gather the empty jugs and tools go to take off and the car won"t move. I own the car now and have had the tranny engage gears, actually move the car but as of now the tranny will not work. Should i be on the lookout for another tranny or is there something simple that i can do. Thats why i am here looking for some advice from some experts that know these cars in and out.