IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Battery cable gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 11:19 AM
Kodyy92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery cable gauge

I have a battery light that is on and I can not get it to go off. I have replace the connectors and the battery and alternator have both been test and both check out good, My next step is to change the cables themselves, I how ever can not find the size they use, and auto parts store say they cant tell me, because they have no info on it... Please help!
Old 04-12-17, 12:49 PM
Kodyy92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just have aftermarket stereo, Subs and a amp. Sups and amp where installed after I bought it and the battery light was on when i bought it. They cables are really rusty and I'm wondering if that could be why? Also the negative battery is super short so its stretching to the top of the battery so there is a lot of pressure on it. I had to put it on the battery while the battery was tipped towards it as i couldn't get the connector to go on with the battery sitting flat.
Old 04-13-17, 11:37 AM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodyy92
I Just have aftermarket stereo, Subs and a amp. Sups and amp where installed after I bought it and the battery light was on when i bought it. They cables are really rusty and I'm wondering if that could be why? Also the negative battery is super short so its stretching to the top of the battery so there is a lot of pressure on it. I had to put it on the battery while the battery was tipped towards it as i couldn't get the connector to go on with the battery sitting flat.

You have a sound system, did you do a big 3 or big 5 upgrade?

for my swapped car I did a battery relocation (although I know you're not) it definitely helps to upgrade your grounds and alternator wire.

for example

I ran a 0g ground from battery to frame. I also ran a 0g ground from block to frame (the factory IS ground is small and both of these grounds are together) and ran 4g from the head to the chassis. I went a little overkill, but better safe than sorry.

I ran 2g wire from the alternator to the fuse box under the hood near the passenger strut tower instead of the factory 8g. I additionally ran a 2nd alternator wire from the alternator to the positive terminal of the battery to increase alternator efficiency.

for more info on the big 3/big 5 upgrade check out this link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ig-3-done.html

Also, where did you ground your amplifier?