IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Camshaft woes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-03, 10:29 AM
Styx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft woes...

Does anyone out there know where I can get new camshafts for a 2002 IS? I have found aftermarket camshafts for every other car imaginable, but not ours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-03, 12:49 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well there is good reason for that.. they really dont make cams for the VVTI motor... hencet he variable valve timing.. ect.. on the intake side, would not benefit from aftermaket cams. you would have to disable the VVTI or swap heads and then get a set of 2jzgte cams, and then it might work..also a standalone may be needed that is still not known for sure...
Old 06-07-03, 01:59 PM
Styx
Rookie

OK...then what can be done within the engine itself to improve performance? Keeping in mind that the vehicle is to remain naturally aspirated, I am having a hard time coming up with ideas to improve performance.
Old 06-07-03, 10:28 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

nitrous supercharger turbo, all the power you need
Old 06-08-03, 04:04 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Styx
OK...then what can be done within the engine itself to improve performance? Keeping in mind that the vehicle is to remain naturally aspirated, I am having a hard time coming up with ideas to improve performance.
well it is not an easy task... and I honestly would look towards forced induction to get to where you want to be... a bolt on s/c would be give you about 275 rwhp to 300 rwhp..to make anywhere even close to 275 rwhp N/A would cost you most likely the same as much as the S/C kit...it could be even more.. you would need to get alot of head work done... still swap heads.. plus the cams.. and perhaps if you wanted some good solid rwhp in N/A form you would need to stroke your motor...

get a S/C kit instead//...there is a new TBKO S/C kit out now makin 275 rwhp for like 5500
Old 06-08-03, 04:07 PM
Styx
Rookie

Thanks a lot for all of your relpies. I was leaning towards keeping it N/A just for simplicity reasons. I always live in small towns and there are not too many good mechanics nearby. My mechanic now says to avoid the turbos, but everyone on this site seems to love theirs. I guess I will just have to see. Thanks again, guys...
Old 06-08-03, 04:15 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

why does you mech. say turbos are bad? I guess he would never buy a turbo WRX..turbo Saab...Turbo Deisel truck...ect..??turbos are not harmdful to your motor as long as your car is tuned correctly
Old 06-08-03, 04:24 PM
Styx
Rookie

His theory on turbo's is that if your car was meant to have one it would have come with it. Plus, he has had a couple of them in the past and says that maintenance is a *****. I suppose he has just been burned in the past. I just wish I had $5,000 to spend on one anyway...
Old 06-10-03, 01:36 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

all you have to do really is change your oil to keep it relatively fresh..not really sure what he is talkin about.. get a turbo timer or sit in your car for an extra minute to let it cool off..and get fresh oil thru it before you shut it down after you were beating on it...very lil maintenance
Old 06-27-03, 06:27 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

just curious, in that case, how do all the VTEC honda motors have camshafts available, or does VTEC not affect the intake side valve timing?
Old 06-28-03, 09:49 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

because Vtec and VVTI work differently..VVTI is always on ...vtec kicks in at higher rpms... the setup inside the head is way different too...
Old 07-03-03, 08:31 PM
Lex-Tech
Driver School Candidate

VVT-i and VTEC both work towards creating a flatter power band for an engine. VVT-i does it by constantly adjusting timing on the intake cam, for seamless power delivery. VTEC on like an H22 Perlude, or F20 in the S2000 has a dramatic increase in power. Honda's VTEC has basically two cam profiles one for low rpms, and the other for High.

As for the turbo's, I can kinda understand what your mechanic is talking about. The stress of a turbo can be hard on an engine that wasn't designed for it. Whereas the 2JZ in the IS has at least an 10:1 C/R ... most F/I engines have a relatively low C/R to deal with the boost.

But, having been inside of a 2JZ-GE engine, I wouldn't see why it couldn't handle a lil F/I...Hell, it's been done several times already in the past. So what's I'd say go for it.

Now if your mechanic was reffering to turbo realibility, then he should get over it. Turbo's today are alot better than what they used to be. Just keep the oil changed, and let it spool down before you get out and it should be ok.

BTW, where do you reside in NC?

Last edited by Lex-Tech; 07-03-03 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 07:59 AM
Styx
Rookie

Thanks for all of your input. I didn't expect this much back from the post. I have basically added all the bolt-on parts that are available and was just searching for a bit more pwer. As for F/I...I am still trying to come up with the funds to try something small.

Thanks again for all of your help. Once again, the forum members come to the rescue...

And for Lex-Tech, I live in SE NC.