IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

PLP supercharger debut PICS & VIDEO CLIPS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 10:59 PM
WiLz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLP supercharger debut PICS & VIDEO CLIPS!

pictures taken at the carson meet...(click for full images 1280X960)
vortech stage 1, 330 flywheel hp (w/ l-tuned exhaust):

CLICK HERE for more pix

VIDEO CLIPS (click and SAVE AS):
PLP Vortech SC clip 1 (10.8MB, 0:31)
PLP Vortech SC clip 2 (10.7MB, 0:30)
PLP Vortech SC in idle (22.2MB, 1:04)
Old 06-22-03, 04:04 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, awesome dude.
Few questions.
-IS this a custom kit or can you just order it from Vortech?
-Is it for the IS only or can you get it for the GS too?
Old 06-22-03, 04:59 AM
WiLz
Driver

Originally posted by Richie
Wow, awesome dude.
Few questions.
-IS this a custom kit or can you just order it from Vortech?
-Is it for the IS only or can you get it for the GS too?
it is made by Pro Lex Performance (www.prolexperformance.com).
and its only for the IS only. i believe that rod millen motorsports (http://www.rodmillenstore.com) makes a supercharger for the GS4, other than that, i don't know.
Old 06-22-03, 06:56 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

I just went to their website and nothing has changed, no price, no release date, nada.......
When are they going to have a date for release? I need this.....bad
Old 06-22-03, 11:28 PM
WiLz
Driver

Originally posted by UncleNick
I just went to their website and nothing has changed, no price, no release date, nada.......
When are they going to have a date for release? I need this.....bad
its actually already on sale. they were taking orders at the carson meet. they said the site should be updated next week. but i'm sure if you wanted, you can call them and put in a order. supposedly they are going to start shipping them out next week. prices are $4500 for the powerdyne kit, and $5500 for the vortech kit with intercooler.
Old 06-23-03, 12:45 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Looks good...Did anyone see it drive or get a ride?

There are a few concerns I have when viewing the video. Can anyone explain why...

1) ...the idle is way too high?

2) ...there was extra ordinary amount of bearing noise?

3) ...when after reving the engine there was a serious amount of fluttering from bypass valve. This would normally be followed with a poor idle, but in the video it was always immeadiately turned off.

4) ...when after reving the engine it was either reved again or immeadiately shut off. Did anyone notice if it had a hard time idleing after reving or did they always shut it off immeadiately after, as to cover up a problem?

Sensei
Old 06-23-03, 08:24 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Man i was wanting one of these but you are stressing some really good points Choritsu-shi. I might want to look into this A LOT before I jump into anything. I wish there was some footage of it actually going somewhere. Rather than just sitting there. I'd like to see it get up and go if it has 330hp.
Old 06-23-03, 09:05 AM
IS Pilot
Driver

1- The was started for the first time when the video was taken. So it still needs around 5 minutes for the car to idle down to 750rpm, every car does the same thing.

2- No bearing noise that we can tell of.

3- You are assuming to much! The cars idle/ perfect. You must not be familiar with bpv's and their operation to make such claims! As the day went on the car was always running for short periods of time to bring the crowds.

4- There was a few people who had been taken for rides, there is no problems. You are just trying to start negative feedback. So before you start assuming things get your facts straight. The main reason we turned the car off right away is that we had another vendors booth (TOM's) and seating area right behind the exhaust, so it was done out of courtesy for the other vendor.

edit: Maybe "TheDon" can also post his videos or even I think "Jedi" aslo has taken some
check out some post on .net for more information since you are posting this everywhere.
Thank You
Mike

Originally posted by Choritsu-shi
Looks good...Did anyone see it drive or get a ride?

There are a few concerns I have when viewing the video. Can anyone explain why...

1) ...the idle is way too high?

2) ...there was extra ordinary amount of bearing noise?

3) ...when after reving the engine there was a serious amount of fluttering from bypass valve. This would normally be followed with a poor idle, but in the video it was always immeadiately turned off.

4) ...when after reving the engine it was either reved again or immeadiately shut off. Did anyone notice if it had a hard time idleing after reving or did they always shut it off immeadiately after, as to cover up a problem?

Sensei

Last edited by IS Pilot; 06-24-03 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-23-03, 11:17 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Originally posted by IS Pilot
1- The was started for the first time when the video was taken. So it still needs around 5 minutes for the car to idle down to 750rpm, every car does the same thing.

2- No bearing noise that we can tell of.

3- You are assuming to much! The cars idle/ perfect. You must not be familiar with bpv's and their operation to make such claims! As the day went on the car was always running for short periods of time to bring the crowds.

4- There was a few people who had been taken for rides, there is no problems. You are just trying to start negative feedback. So before you start assuming things get your facts straight. The main reason we turned the car off right away is that we had another vendors booth (TOM's) and seating area right behind the exhaust, so it was done out of courtesy for the other vendor.

edit: Maybe "TheDon" can also post his videos or even I think "Jedi" aslo has taken some
check out some post on .net for more information since you are posting this everywhere.
Thank You
Mike
How wrong you are my son, for it is you that is assuming too much!
"Looks good...Did anyone see it drive or get a ride?" That was a positive statement followed with a legitimate question... I then had legitimate concerns for which I asked for someone to explain, so that I could get my facts straight! You could of followed up with legitimate answers but instead become overly defensive and accuse me of starting negative feedback. I have posted these same exact questions on only "1" other forum, only because I am interested. Forget the Don forget about Jedi... why shouldn't I believe you?

If there were a few people who had been taken on rides, then I will await to hear their replies as I have properly asked.

I am very familiar with bpv's, as well I am very familiar with the verbiage you stole from Bruce Nomura's website explaining how "your" radiator plate functions. I wonder if Bruce Nomura is familiar with this? You are beginning to give me the impression you don't know much at all.
I shall give you another chance and I will re-phrase my questions...

1)are there any videos showing of "The cars idle/ perfect"?

2) if not bearing noise from your S/C could it be the bearings from the alternator or water pump perhaps?
Why do I ask ? Because it doesn't take a mechanic to hear something screaming like that., and knowing S/C require perfect belt alignment and increased belt tension. Increased belt tension is known to damage bearings of other related components when using S/C.

3) does that car have a hard time idling immediately after revving? I asked only because you turned off the car immediately after revving. I did hear something fluttering as if a by-pass valve which is commonly followed by an rough or no idle condition. If not what, was that noise caused from?
...and honestly, if your main concern to "turn off immediately" was out of courtesy that you had another vendors booth (TOM's) and seating area right behind the exhaust, then tell me, how many times are you allowed to rev your engine until it is considered rude?

4) when just cruising (not accelerating) on a highway is your S/C constantly in boost or does your bypass valve play a role as to avoid this condition. I ask because fuel consumption is much greater while in boost.

Sensei
Old 06-23-03, 11:53 AM
IS Pilot
Driver

Hey Bruce, Instead of internet battling how about coming down and driving it yourself, you are about an hour away! Also, hop on to .net and you will here that people are "impressed" after the ride! You have always had issues with other tuners, I wonder why?? You are not a customer, you are a competitor so everything you say will be negative.
Thank You
Mike

How wrong you are my son, for it is you that is assuming too much!
"Looks good...Did anyone see it drive or get a ride?" That was a positive statement followed with a legitimate question... I then had legitimate concerns for which I asked for someone to explain, so that I could get my facts straight! You could of followed up with legitimate answers but instead become overly defensive and accuse me of starting negative feedback. I have posted these same exact questions on only "1" other forum, only because I am interested. Forget the Don forget about Jedi... why shouldn't I believe you?

If there were a few people who had been taken on rides, then I will await to hear their replies as I have properly asked.

I am very familiar with bpv's, as well I am very familiar with the verbiage you stole from Bruce Nomura's website explaining how "your" radiator plate functions. I wonder if Bruce Nomura is familiar with this? You are beginning to give me the impression you don't know much at all.
I shall give you another chance and I will re-phrase my questions...

2) if not bearing noise from your S/C could it be the bearings from the alternator or water pump perhaps?
Why do I ask ? Because it doesn't take a mechanic to hear something screaming like that., and knowing S/C require perfect belt alignment and increased belt tension. Increased belt tension is known to damage bearings of other related components when using S/C.

3) does that car have a hard time idling immediately after revving? I asked only because you turned off the car immediately after revving. I did hear something fluttering as if a by-pass valve which is commonly followed by an rough or no idle condition. If not what, was that noise caused from?
...and honestly, if your main concern to "turn off immediately" was out of courtesy that you had another vendors booth (TOM's) and seating area right behind the exhaust, then tell me, how many times are you allowed to rev your engine until it is considered rude?

4) when just cruising (not accelerating) on a highway is your S/C constantly in boost or does your bypass valve play a role as to avoid this condition. I ask because fuel consumption is much greater while in boost.

Sensei
Old 06-23-03, 12:27 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, take it easy. Questions are encouraged here, and answers and civil discussions are welcome
Old 06-23-03, 08:11 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well eigther wy it looks like a beast. good work nonetheless...
Old 06-24-03, 12:39 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Question

Hey Bruce???ha,ha,ha... isn't it a known fact that his work is rather unique and has no competitors?... well perhaps copycats... but let's stick to the topic and just answer the questions please?

Sensei
Old 06-24-03, 03:11 PM
IS Pilot
Driver

I will give you a call or even stop by, I think I might be able to put your mind at ease with all your inquizitive opinions. You have very strange behavior, you had no issues at all when I picked up the 2jz from your shop, now our kits are on the streets and you are trying to pick it apart from behind a computer screen thinking that you can hear things through that 2" piezo computer speaker. Why do you refer to yourself in third person? I think that explains it for me.
Mike
PS, I am asking you now to please discontinue your defamation and deragotory remarks.

It was not us that took the video's this is why I invited you down or I could stop by, as I mentioned above. Or you could even listen to other longer clips on .net to ease your mind

The SC has perfect alingment to .010, the pulley and drive belt has perfect alignment and tension infact the tensioner is still in the middle mark.

3) does that car have a hard time idling immediately after revving? NOI asked only because you turned off the car immediately after revving. I did hear something fluttering as if a by-pass valve which is commonly followed by an rough or no idle condition. If not what, was that noise caused from?
If you are the "mechanic" that you claim to be you should know that the stumble you refer to is a problem of blow-off valve if the installer does not know how to compensate for the rich condition after the air metered enters to atmosphere, you do not know that? The by-pass eliminates the need to compensate for such an event since the metered air is recirculated after the maf sensor, so no stumble only smooth as silk idle dropping from any rpm!
That is a personal judgement call, I actually took them out to dinner just because I dusted her the first time when she was eating, so yes I keeped it to a minimum after that.

The by-pass remains closed when you need the power under full throttle, when you are driving around or cruising the by-pass is open to reduce the load on the sc so fuel efficiency is kept.

Hey Bruce???ha,ha,ha... isn't it a known fact that his work is rather unique and has no competitors?... well perhaps copycats... but let's stick to the topic and just answer the questions please?

Sensei

Last edited by IS Pilot; 06-24-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-24-03, 04:38 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Hey Mike congrats on the kit and good luck with it.

A couple quick questions. Are the pipes aluminum and what size pulley is that on the vortech kit.... if you don't mind me asking.

Quick Reply: PLP supercharger debut PICS & VIDEO CLIPS!