IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2001 IS 300 Aftermarket HU, Turning on Engine kills sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 08:22 PM
williamy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 IS 300 Aftermarket HU, Turning on Engine kills sound

So basically I owned this 2001 Lexus IS300 for about 3 months now and did small upgrades like changing out the stock lights to LEDs and a bunch of small stuff. It's got around 40k miles on the odometer and looks pretty good as its been kept with a roof over it (as the previous owner stated).

The idea of upgrading to an android headunit has been on my mind for a couple of weeks. The stock radio sounded good and worked fine, however, the fact that I couldn't play my own music forced me to upgrade. I've tried buying cassette adapters from both Wal-Mart and the swap meet that were made by both Monster and GE but they didn't work well. The Monster adapter kept ejecting itself and the GE one made a terrible grinding noise while playing.

The headunit that I've bought from eBay is a touchscreen Android Xtrons double din. I also purchased an AXXESS TOYO-01 so I can use my stock amplifier. To use the TOYO-01 I followed the instructions to mod it from this site, titled "2001 IS Metra TYTO-01 harness how to!" I've spent the past couple of days installing it but I ran into a big problem today that I couldn't seem to fix.

Everything is fine EXCEPT sound will only play when the key is in the ACC position! When I start the engine the sound cuts out completely. Only if I shut down the headunit, turn off the engine, take out the key, put the key back in and turn to ACC position will the headunit start outputting sound again! I've searched on google pertaining to this problem but could only find limited answers. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-24-17, 09:17 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by williamy
So basically I owned this 2001 Lexus IS300 for about 3 months now and did small upgrades like changing out the stock lights to LEDs and a bunch of small stuff. It's got around 40k miles on the odometer and looks pretty good as its been kept with a roof over it (as the previous owner stated).

The idea of upgrading to an android headunit has been on my mind for a couple of weeks. The stock radio sounded good and worked fine, however, the fact that I couldn't play my own music forced me to upgrade. I've tried buying cassette adapters from both Wal-Mart and the swap meet that were made by both Monster and GE but they didn't work well. The Monster adapter kept ejecting itself and the GE one made a terrible grinding noise while playing.

The headunit that I've bought from eBay is a touchscreen Android Xtrons double din. I also purchased an AXXESS TOYO-01 so I can use my stock amplifier. To use the TOYO-01 I followed the instructions to mod it from this site, titled "2001 IS Metra TYTO-01 harness how to!" I've spent the past couple of days installing it but I ran into a big problem today that I couldn't seem to fix.

Everything is fine EXCEPT sound will only play when the key is in the ACC position! When I start the engine the sound cuts out completely. Only if I shut down the headunit, turn off the engine, take out the key, put the key back in and turn to ACC position will the headunit start outputting sound again! I've searched on google pertaining to this problem but could only find limited answers. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Bypass your factory amp. Remove the glovebox, that's where it is. I never use the factory amp (for many reasons) when installing a radio in a car with a factory amp.
Also, probably not your issue here, but that headunit is VERY low end. It'll work fine for now, but you'll have more issues than you can imagine in the very near future. My advice is to sell it off and get a quality unit like a pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine. They are cheap enough these days where you shouldn't have to skimp with an off brand.

V.