IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2001 IS300 only valet Key...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 11:46 AM
BlueRose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 IS300 only valet Key...

So I purchased a 2001 IS300 (beautiful blue one) and there were two keys on the key ring. When I purchased it they had the valet key in the ignition so I didn't think to try the master key on the key ring. Come to find out the master key does not fit the car. So I have only a valet key as far as I know ( gray plastic part). The car does have a Clifford after market alarm and remote start. I am wondering if there is any way to use the module for the remote start to program a master key? I've done a lot of ready and from what I've found Lexus no longer does the key replacement program and I need to send my ECU to someone to reflash and make keys. This is where I run into my next problem. The car has an aftermarket intake and headers and as a result has a piggy back computer that screws with my O2 sensors so the dealership won't touch it with the piggy back computer. Debating if I should go back to stock intake and remove the piggy back computer then have the dealership reflash and make keys (they send the ECU to California so I would be out a car for a while) or if there is someone more local who can do it (seattle area)? is there someone who would reflash with the piggy back? Is there another way to program a master? I've had the car for a couple years now so obviously it isn't something I need done right this moment but it would be nice to have more than one key for the car. The car has over 200,000 miles so I don't really want to put a lot of money into it.
Old 12-22-18, 04:53 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRose
So I purchased a 2001 IS300 (beautiful blue one) and there were two keys on the key ring. When I purchased it they had the valet key in the ignition so I didn't think to try the master key on the key ring. Come to find out the master key does not fit the car. So I have only a valet key as far as I know ( gray plastic part). The car does have a Clifford after market alarm and remote start. I am wondering if there is any way to use the module for the remote start to program a master key? I've done a lot of ready and from what I've found Lexus no longer does the key replacement program and I need to send my ECU to someone to reflash and make keys. This is where I run into my next problem. The car has an aftermarket intake and headers and as a result has a piggy back computer that screws with my O2 sensors so the dealership won't touch it with the piggy back computer. Debating if I should go back to stock intake and remove the piggy back computer then have the dealership reflash and make keys (they send the ECU to California so I would be out a car for a while) or if there is someone more local who can do it (seattle area)? is there someone who would reflash with the piggy back? Is there another way to program a master? I've had the car for a couple years now so obviously it isn't something I need done right this moment but it would be nice to have more than one key for the car. The car has over 200,000 miles so I don't really want to put a lot of money into it.
There are locksmiths that can do it in many places, you might call around your area probably cost around 200 bucks. It is super easy to reflash the ecu, but you just have to have the programmer and a little time. I do it for free for people in my area. There is a vendor ezcarkeys here that can flash your ecu or I think will sell an eeprom with a master key already written to it.