Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 01:02 AM
lilativan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

Hi,

I've had two synthetic oil changes since I got my '04 IS 300 (each one between 3k-5k miles) and each time I never needed to add oil between changes. I would check once a month and it was always right in the middle of the dipstick. My last oil change was about 3k miles ago and like an idiot, I slacked on checking the oil the way I was since it never needed oil in between changes. This is awful to say, but up until yesterday, I can't remember the last time I checked. The car was running smooth without any (noticeable) problems. I checked the oil yesterday and the dipstick was so low. Damn near bone dry. Actually, I did a second pass and it was bone dry the following time. I then put 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic in but ended up overfilling it by about 1/2 a quart. I know this cos I rolled by Jiffy Lube to get the excess drained, which they did for free.

So here's my question: Isn't the oil capacity in my car something like 6 quarts? If I was only able to add 2.5, maybe I'm in okay shape? I am super worried about any damage I may have done to the engine. So, maybe it wasn't low enough to cause severe premature wear? Maybe the damage (if any) is negligible? I am 100% getting back into my routine of checking once a month but right now I am stressing over my negligence and any damage it may have caused. What do I do?
Old 01-09-19, 09:31 AM
KSing
Driver School Candidate

Unless there is an oil leak in your engine that you don't know about & assuming you are using the correct oil (5w30 ONLY!!!) you shouldn't be losing any oil & it should not be drying up after driving 5000 miles. Also 6 quarts is a big NO for any year IS because the 2JZ-GE only takes 5 and 1/4 quarts of 5w30 synthetic oil (is a huge sin if you're not using synthetic!) I also have an 04 IS300 & I know what you are talking about with the dipstick. It also happens to me sometimes that the dipstick doesn't show the correct oil fill of the engine when checking. I also can't explain why that happens but I 100% know is not because your oil is running low. I know because I thought the same thing as you the time when I checked & the dipstick was dry. I was so paranoid that I flushed out my engine oil out just to measure the oil to see if it dried up & all 5 and 1/4 quarts came out of the engine. It might just be that the car is on a hill or on in angle and you didn't notice.
Old 01-09-19, 12:01 PM
lilativan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KSing
Unless there is an oil leak in your engine that you don't know about & assuming you are using the correct oil (5w30 ONLY!!!) you shouldn't be losing any oil & it should not be drying up after driving 5000 miles. Also 6 quarts is a big NO for any year IS because the 2JZ-GE only takes 5 and 1/4 quarts of 5w30 synthetic oil (is a huge sin if you're not using synthetic!) I also have an 04 IS300 & I know what you are talking about with the dipstick. It also happens to me sometimes that the dipstick doesn't show the correct oil fill of the engine when checking. I also can't explain why that happens but I 100% know is not because your oil is running low. I know because I thought the same thing as you the time when I checked & the dipstick was dry. I was so paranoid that I flushed out my engine oil out just to measure the oil to see if it dried up & all 5 and 1/4 quarts came out of the engine. It might just be that the car is on a hill or on in angle and you didn't notice.
I am using 5w30 synthetic only and afaik that’s all the car has ever had in its 138k life. Yeah I was FREAKED out, man. But hopefully like you said it was just a fluke, I am pretty positive there’s no oil leak.