IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 Stereo fluctuating in and out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 06:36 AM
jnaizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 Stereo fluctuating in and out

Hello! Looking for some intelligent input. After issues with my factory radio in my 2001 IS300, I replaced out to a different radio unit. Used the TYTO-01 harness which usually 2003 and up, but is listed as compatible for '02 IS300 (with wire alternate mod to make it work for the IS300 2001). The audio would shift from backseat only, to front, sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both. When it goes to backseat, I'd turn the volume up to hear, then going over a bump could make all speakers work to a jolt, turn vol back down. Been doing this for a year. I had the car into the local audio shop 9 times (no joke or exaggeration). They tried two of the Toyota TYTO-01 kits, 2 CD/radio units, and the problem always comes back after a month. I can push on the front face plate of the radio and can occasionally get the full speaker output when I do that. Very spontaneous. Sometimes railroad tracks or even nothing at all can stop sound on the radio for 3-4 seconds. My friend initially installed the TYTO kit with the 1st radio, and we'd get lights of power, but no sound. Maybe something more major shorted out if he wired wrong? The audio shop guys got it working in a half hour after he gave up, so it wasn't a major change to get sound. I've lived with it for the past year, but the radio shop just keeps throwing parts at it. Frustrated, the shop even called Axxess who makes the TYTO harness, and they said there were known issues in this conversion and gave the techs some sort of workaround "fix". After the problem keeps returning, they want to replace the amp as well to see if that does it. I'm not very saavy on car audio, but it would all seem like it's incompetent wiring somewhere that keeps letting loose "fix" after "fix". Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by jnaizer; 01-09-19 at 06:42 AM.