IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

OMG I never knew this!! Afraid motor might have got messed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 05:12 PM
1glexIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG I never knew this!! Afraid motor might have got messed up

Ok so here's the story... I did my timing belt and seals..all was going smoothly all marks were in line and align. Mind you I'm very mechanically inclined..I have the belt on new tensioner the whole shebang..i go to tighten the vvti cam gear with the 10mm hex head and Bam THE CAMSHAFTS SPINS!! like only that one and I'm like wtf!! So I don't know if I got it back to where it should be but I kinda figured it went back the other way. I puut everything back n beautiful rides nice but the engine has a very distinct "tick" not loud like bent valves but loud enough that as I'm driving down the blocks at 35 I can heart it echo...also this is my first Lexus and I thought the infamous 2j would feel like faster but the car feels good after 60 like just a small tap and it picks up but from 0-40 feels like a Honda lol and idk if its because the camshaft is in the wrong spot . So my question is has anyone had this issue and is there a certain thing I can do to make sure it's right because I drive alot.
Old 02-28-19, 05:01 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would turn the motor by hand and verify that the timing marks still align. Mechanical timing isn't something that you should guess on or be not sure about.
Old 03-04-19, 05:28 PM
1glexIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddystop
I would turn the motor by hand and verify that the timing marks still align. Mechanical timing isn't something that you should guess on or be not sure about.
Let me explain a little better, the timing is on marks all good. imaggine this imagine u take the cam gear cover off right and then you take out the seal plug for the vvti cam gear which is a 14 mm hex head. so now u have access to the 10mm hex head that actually holds the cam gear.. now if you go to tighten that bolt the camshaft will spin....like indepedently the cam gear will not but the camshaft will. my problem is that this happened to me and even tho the motor is perfectly in time that camshaft has the potential to be at a different spot even tho the timings are good. so does anyone know of this and is there a seeting for it
Old 03-05-19, 05:49 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

"Rotate the vvti cam gear full clockwise so there is no free play. Same direction the cam belt would pull the cam gear to.
When there is no oil pressure or signal to the vvti solenoid the timing belt pulls the free play to the other side where it needs to be when you set the timing when the crank is btdc.
IIRC put the cam gear marks at the lines (dashes?) when having the crank at BTDC, just like with a regular non-VVTi 2JZ, not on the dot."

From : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...g-belt-install

I did mine about a year ago, and researched a lot before doing it to make sure I didn't screw anything up w/ that VVTI gear. When I finally took it all apart and put it back together, I had the realization that there is only "one way" that the vvti cam gear can go on and the motor still be in time. My car ran just fine after reassembly. The guides online make it sound way scarier than it actually is. One thing to pay close attention to is there are 2 marks on each cam gear..... one of the marks is incorrect and the other is correct.

If you pull up some videos on how to do VVTI timing you should have no issue getting this corrected or feeling at ease about it being right.