IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2003 IS300 spoiler removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-03, 08:37 PM
Hornet02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 IS300 spoiler removal?

Can I remove the stock trunk lip spoiler on my '03 IS and replace it with an aftermarket one or will there be holes in places that won't allow me to put an aftermarket spoiler on? Is it tough to remove the stock spoiler? Thanks.
Old 08-12-03, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no idea how to remove it, but since it has the brake lights, there gotta be some holes somewhere. not sure how it's going to align with the aftermarket spoiler
Old 08-13-03, 08:07 PM
Hornet02
Driver School Candidate

I know I've seen different spoilers on the IS, so I'm trying to figure out how it was done or if it even can be done. I can't imagine every person that buys an '03 5-speed is stuck with the standard spoiler. I actually tried to get one without it, but they told me it's straight out of the factory with that thing on there.
Old 08-14-03, 10:18 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen lot's of 5 spd's without it
Old 08-14-03, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

5 speed basically comes with graphite wheels, lsd, and rear spoiler already, they use that to jack up the price by 2k again to match that of the auto. if you really want one without spoiler, you will have to special order one from japan
Old 08-18-03, 06:50 AM
Lexopolis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear spoiler

There are seven holes in the trunk lib when the spoiler is removed, one for the third brake light wiring pigtail. The stock spoiler uses two studs with nuts and double-sided foam tape. Removal is simple but TAKE YOUR TIME with the sticky tape. If you use any tool, make sure it is a nylon type scrapper, (typically used for applying body plastic (Bondo)). It is an exercise in patience.

Any after market spoiler will use only double sided sticky tape to mount. The important this is to make sure you get a full-circle water tight seal. Otherwise, moisture will build up inside the cavity and rust. Worst case is water will run through the factory holes into the trunk.

For the guy who said "they do this to jack up the price to the same as the automatic".........get a grip. Add the same things to the automatic and the price goes up too, at least there is some value added.
The following users liked this post:
gbangs87 (04-17-20)
Old 08-18-03, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: rear spoiler

Originally posted by Lexopolis
There are seven holes in the trunk lib when the spoiler is removed, one for the third brake light wiring pigtail. The stock spoiler uses two studs with nuts and double-sided foam tape. Removal is simple but TAKE YOUR TIME with the sticky tape. If you use any tool, make sure it is a nylon type scrapper, (typically used for applying body plastic (Bondo)). It is an exercise in patience.

Any after market spoiler will use only double sided sticky tape to mount. The important this is to make sure you get a full-circle water tight seal. Otherwise, moisture will build up inside the cavity and rust. Worst case is water will run through the factory holes into the trunk.

For the guy who said "they do this to jack up the price to the same as the automatic".........get a grip. Add the same things to the automatic and the price goes up too, at least there is some value added.
you should try to read too. for automatic the spoiler, lsd, and the graphite wheels are options that people really have to ask for. on manual they pretty much come in for sure. this is from someone who knows how lexus works
Old 02-11-04, 09:03 AM
Lexopolis
Driver

Default IS 300 spoiler removal

Lexus orders vehicles in option sets. The individual options are determined from dealer advisory council meetings and consumer focus groups. Once the options are determined and approved for production by the factory, they are combined into sets based on how the typical consumer for that vehicle type would like them equipped. Sets vary based on price -points, market segment and locality, time of year, etc. Area distributor offices can vary the packages slightly from time to time based on sales trends and dealer and consumer input. This is why you will see IS 5-spds with or without spoilers and other items.

The IS 5-spd is a very price-sensitive car and the focus groups generally determined that they would rather have the options on the car from the factory due to the value added by a factory package rather than have the dealer install them individually. That is where the price really goes up simply because the dealers cost on the individual part is MUCH more expensive. There is NEVER a case where Lexus is "jacking up the price" to match anything, that is "sales suicide" is an extremly competitive segment. The automatic is by its' nature already more expensive and therefore the factory options are reduced to keep it more generally in the price-point of the segment.

As for "this is from someone who knows how lexus works" in your note. I have been with Lexus corporate, both area and HQ operations, since before the launch of Lexus and, have been intimatly involved is these processes for many years. Prior to that, 15 years on the "Toyota side". Cool?
gbangs87 (04-17-20)
Old 02-11-04, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: IS 300 spoiler removal

Originally posted by Lexopolis
The IS 5-spd is a very price-sensitive car and the focus groups generally determined that they would rather have the options on the car from the factory due to the value added by a factory package rather than have the dealer install them individually. That is where the price really goes up simply because the dealers cost on the individual part is MUCH more expensive. There is NEVER a case where Lexus is "jacking up the price" to match anything, that is "sales suicide" is an extremly competitive segment. The automatic is by its' nature already more expensive and therefore the factory options are reduced to keep it more generally in the price-point of the segment.
that's exactly what i was saying. they put more options (lsd, spoiler, etc...) on the 5 speed to make the price of the car higher, coz' the automatic (the invoice price) is already about 2k more than the 5 speed
Old 02-11-04, 05:40 PM
Lexopolis
Driver

Default is spoiler

to quote you "you should try to read too". Re-read and understand that the object is NOT TO RAISE JUST THE PRICE. That is of no benefit to either the dealer or the factory. It IS to provide what the consumer wants on this model at a much LESS EXPENSIVE factory option price. Adding these options hardly makes a noticable gain on the vehicles profitability to either the dealer or the factory when they come from the factory at a set margin on the monroney label. These items can then be financed and figured into the residual if it is a lease. The margin is mainly in the invoice-to-sticker BASE price. If the object was to raise the price then let the dealer add them at whatever margin they choose. Then the options are generally not financable nor allowed in the residual calculation.

Argue if you want but the facts are the facts and spreading dis-information is more harmful to the consumer and your patrons.
gbangs87 (04-17-20)