IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2001 IS300 looking for 350whp DD

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 10:24 AM
drozingis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2001 IS300 looking for 350whp DD

Hey guys, i'm a new member of CL and also a new owner of a 2001 IS300 Auto and i'd like to know what i can do to reach 350whp and how much i would spend.
What parts should i look for? Brands?
Can i reach that with stock internals? Do i need to upgrade my transmission and how do i do that?
Can i turbo it? What turbo would be recommended? Also would a ct15 from a 1jz be a good turbo?
If you guys can send me some links it would be even better.

Thanks in advance from the noob!
Old 07-19-19, 11:12 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want the easiest way to achieve that hp without spending a lot of money you'd put a wetshot on it. Turbo'ing is going to cost a small fortune to do properly. "Properly" being the operative word.

What parts should i look for? a wetshot kit AFTER doing all maintenance items on the car and making sure it's in 100% tip top running condition.

Brands? I wouldn't get hung up on brand names. Pick what you like and what is going to work for you. Avoid chinese ebay crap period the end, no exceptions, unless you enjoy modifying "bolt on" parts that will likely not last very long at all. There are going to be naysayers about this, but remember the rule, cheap, fast, reliable: pick 2 (and 2 only).

Can i reach that with stock internals? If you are or have access to a competent ECU tuner and some degree of control over the motor, then yes. How you achieve that "control" is up to you whether it's using an AEM FIC, SAFC, etc..... whatever it is that you decide, research it and understand the pros/cons of each decision you could make. This will make you a "prosumer" in your purchasing because you won't mind spending a little more on a part when you know it's going to fit your needs exactly vs buying something that needs to be immediately modified to fit your needs.

Do i need to upgrade my transmission and how do i do that? Are you asking about how you can rebuild an auto trans? If so that is going to definitely be outside the scope of my answers here and cannot be taught in a forum thread. I sent mine to IPT in NJ to have a rebuild done. If you choose to do this there are many nuances that you must adhere to in order to keep the stock trans. If you want to get spendy and stop enjoying your "luxury" ride, then swap it to a manual trans and prepare to work that clutch pedal. (I love stick shift as much as the next guy but a built auto trans is going to be faster than vin diesel at shifting).

Can i turbo it? Yes, but bring your sack lunch and boots because it's an all day uphill battle regardless of which route you intend to go to achieve that goal. I'm not saying that to discourage, but from the questions you asked, it seems like doing something like turbo'ing a car might be outside of your current skillset and knowledge level. Again, I'm not being disparaging by saying that, I'm more interested in pushing you to go learn a ton of stuff because that is what will benefit you the most here.

What turbo would be recommended? I used a BW EFR 6758 on the stock GE engine with mine because it's an unsuspecting daily driver, not a race vehicle.

Also would a ct15 from a 1jz be a good turbo? No. That motor is a 2.5L engine which means the turbo, from the factory, is properly sized for that amount of displacement. That turbo will be too small for a 2JZ. Yes, it will make boost.... but it's going to spool too quickly which can, despite what people think, be very problematic in regards to drivetrain longevity. High torque at low engine speed breaks parts pretty easily. So that turbo will spool fast and choke on the mid/high end range of the RPM band. Avoid, I don't care how cheap it is or if it's free..... plus it's a stock turbo on an older car than yours.