IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Crank but no start security light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21 | 04:01 PM
LexGang
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Crank but no start security light blinking

2001 is300 cranks over strong, but no start. flashing security light.

I just purchased a 2001 is300. Previous owner said it all started driving down the road fine as always and the car all suddenly sputters out and dies. He had it brought home on a trailer because it would start back up. He replaced the igniter with a new one from eBay. That didn’t solve the issue. Then he noticed the security light flashing while the key was inserted into the key ignition in the on position. So he gave up and I bought the car from him think it was a burnt ecu or bad efi fuse. Well I got the car home and replaced all fuses and swapped the horn relay with the efi relay and still no luck the car won’t start security light was still flashing. I took the steering column Plastic off and noticed extra wires spliced into the ignition wires and realized some previous owner installed a electric start on it. I pulled the electric start out and found a spare key inside of a 556u Immobilizer bypass switch for the electric start. So then I tried the after market key that I found under the dash and still no luck still flashing with a no start.

I then pulled my other running 2001 is300 over next to the one I just bought and started swapping the parts. I started with swapping ecu, key ignition, key amplifier and coil. After that the car still didn’t start security still flashing. So I preceded to install the ecu, key ignition, key amplifier and coil from the car that doesn’t run into my car that I knew ran and the it fired right up with both the original key with the key pad and the aftermarket key i found under the dash no problems with the security light so I know the key, ecu and amplifier are good.

ive read some other forms and heard of it maybe being the body ecu so I replaced that from my running car and still no luck.
I’ve also read it could be a ground at the ecu or a short in the 5v does anyone know or can direct me in the direction I need to go and what wires to test for what colters thanks a lot. Edit the key is being recognized by the ecu kdw is lighting up when the key is inserted in the ignition with a test light