IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My IS Story: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 07:20 PM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the Holidays

Well I'm back from the holidays. Hope everyone had a good one.

We have been so busy with the Auto show last week, that I needed a few days to re-couperate and get back in the swing of a daily work schedule. The show was a once in a lifetime opportunity to show my car at such a high visibility event. It was a lot of fun answering questions from the spectators. We probably recruited a few new members and we also met several CL members for the first time as well

We were displayed right next to the Fast N Furious cars, so we got a lot of traffic. It was quite interesting to note that the younger kids (younger teens) were drooling over those cars, but those in their 20s actually were not too impressed and liked our cars better.

Here's info and pics of the show: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=106181

In any case I had a great time and I just want to enjoy driving the car for a little while before the mods start happening again. This week will be the first time i actually drive it. There were a few mods that were done but not yet posted, so I'll try to have those up in a few days.

We'll get back to some serious modding in about a week or two.
Old 01-13-04, 10:15 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Cleaner look?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, the Sportcross does look cleaner with the badges removed. If you really want a clean look, you could take the whole rear wiper assembly off and plug the hole in the glass with a rubber plug. If you wanted to re-sell the car, it would probably not be that big a deal to just remount the whole assembly right back on and connect the wires. But obviously you would have to clean the rear window more often. You could also go with an installed radio-antenna imbedded in the rear glass instead of on the roof sticking up, but that usually compromises the sound quality.
i like the wiper removal idea...however, the back window does get dirty very fast. so i am not sure if i am going to do that yet...convenience or cleaner look...damn, that's a tough trade for this one. however, i do not use my back wiper that much unless i need to see when backing up when it's raining or snowing. definitely a great idea though.

as for the antenna...i got a JDM short antenna a few weeks after i took the photos. it looks a whole lot better than the OEM antenna which is long, skinny, and ugly.

i am planning to get XM installed soon. still contemplating if i really want the XM antenna look on the outside. i guess once i go XM, i won't need the normal antenna anymore.
Old 01-13-04, 10:20 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Cleaner look?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, the Sportcross does look cleaner with the badges removed. If you really want a clean look, you could take the whole rear wiper assembly off and plug the hole in the glass with a rubber plug.
oh yeah, saw a new range rover the other day. the rear wiper is installed on the top under the spoiler so it hides when it is retracted. (not sure if range rover always did this, i just noticed this feature the other day driving behind one) i wish they did the same for the rear wiper with the sportcross.
Old 01-17-04, 10:47 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Default Question about those custom grillsI

I was over at IS300.NET and someone posted a link in the Wheel and Tire Forum to your gallery and must say that car looks awesome. Particularly the color and wheel choice...very clean.

I was at the SJ Autoshow and, unfortunately, did not see your car. I may have been temporarily blinded by that day-glow lime-green EVO in the Fast and Furious area.

Could you tell me more information about those custom stainless steel grills on the front of your car. Did your hubby fabricate those himself? . If so, do you have a photo series of the fabrication? I would love to see it here if you do.

Thanks and happy modding.
Old 01-18-04, 12:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: Question about those custom grillsI

Originally posted by CRB

Could you tell me more information about those custom stainless steel grills on the front of your car.
Stainless steel grills? WTF? That's a JDM Altezza Z Edition Grill with a GlenMar-Tech Designs custom mounted Lexus emblem.
Old 01-18-04, 12:10 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha Ha Flipside.

I'm thinking CRB might be talking about the grill mesh below. It is made out of stainless steel. Matches the finish on the Altezza grill. I'll have to dig to see if I have photos though.

Our PC is getting an upgrade tomorrow, so INDGOGRL and RMMGS4 will be offline till Monday.
Old 01-21-04, 11:31 AM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

We'll we're still taking a break from our modding for a little while longer, but I thought I'd post some other small changes that weren't shown before.

Here's the rear of the car de-badged except for the "L" logo. Definitely a cleaner look. It's surprising to see how many people weren't sure what the car was, when it was on display at the auto show. You could tell by how many people read out loud, the model and name that was posted on the sign in front of the car.
Attached Thumbnails My IS Story: Day 1-de-badge-rear.jpg  

Last edited by INDGOGRL; 07-06-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 11:46 AM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Originally posted by INDGOGRL
We'll we're still taking a break from our modding for a little while longer, but I thought I'd post some other small changes that weren't shown before.

Here's the rear of the car de-badged except for the "L" logo. Definitely a cleaner look. It's surprising to see how many people weren't sure what the car was, when it was on display at the auto show. You could tell by how many people read out loud, the model and name that was posted on the sign in front of the car.
Nice, now when can we get a picture of you next to your car?
Old 01-21-04, 11:48 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Advertising for Longo again, huh?
Old 01-21-04, 02:15 PM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Originally posted by Neo
Well Neo,
my personalized plates came in already, but I never picked them up yet so I'll keep the dealer ad in the mean time. Just don't wanna get pulled over. After I get my plates, no advertising on the plate frame, just a simple stainless steel trim.

PS - Thanks for the cute gift yesterday !

BigJoeD - I'll post something up eventually.

Here's the "second" antenna mod. We got rid of the JDM antenna after spotting this one on Ebay. The ad said it comes in various colors, so we ordered black, but I guess the only part that comes in black is the stem. The aluminum finish is kinda OK as an accent, so we're leaving it alone for now.

Attached Thumbnails My IS Story: Day 1-antenna.jpg  

Last edited by INDGOGRL; 07-06-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 03:03 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Well Neo,
my personalized plates came in already, but I never picked them up yet so I'll keep the dealer ad in the mean time. Just don't wanna get pulled over. After I get my plates, no advertising on the plate frame, just a simple stainless steel trim.

PS - Thanks for the cute gift yesterday !

BigJoeD - I'll post something up eventually.

Here's the "second" antenna mod. We got rid of the JDM antenna after spotting this one on Ebay. The ad said it comes in various colors, so we ordered black, but I guess the only part that comes in black is the stem. The aluminum finish is kinda OK as an accent, so we're leaving it alone for now.

Hey, thats that exact same shorty antenna I have on my car. Now thats good taste baby.
Old 01-21-04, 07:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by Neo
Hey don't hate! I have mine on still too!
Old 01-21-04, 07:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by BigJoeD
Now thats good taste baby.
Dang bro, I hope you're not forgetting that she's married.
Old 01-22-04, 02:11 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Originally posted by flipside909
Dang bro, I hope you're not forgetting that she's married.
I know.
Old 01-23-04, 12:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Unhappy

just a little heads up. i will make it short. INDGOGRL would not be responding tonight because she got into an accident on the freeway. it's not the IS300, it's her other car. she's fine, but not feeling well. apparently it's the other guy's fault. that's all the details i have so far.

she's resting now and RMMGS4 is taking care of her. so don't bother them for now until she gets better. i will talk to them again tomorrow and make sure everything is ok. once i have more info i will post them up

Last edited by rominl; 01-23-04 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: My IS Story: Day 1