IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My IS Story: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05 | 01:21 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

The next step is to stretch and spray glue some velour material on to the box. This is what the final shape of the ecu box cover will be. This is the same type of process that car audio installers use in making their fiberglass subwoofer boxes.

Here's the bottom of the ECU cover where the fabric is stretched over the edge.

I added aluminum pieces to the 3 spots where the mounting bolt holes will be, for added strength and to form the mounting area closer to its final shape

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-25-05 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-25-05 | 07:59 AM
RMMGS4

The cloth is then soaked with fiberglass resin and allowed to harden.

Then a few layers of fiberglass added for strength.

ALL FOR NOW.
Old 07-25-05 | 11:17 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Damn Glen cant wait to see you complete this process!!

I learn more schite just reading the threads you post!!

U are my hero.. .I hereby proclaim you KING o' da DIY Clan.

NOW I gotta learn how to do this too. I have some ideas........ I need a custom made gauge pod for two gauges onto my 'A' pillar !! OR some custom molded '" gauge pods" that would go on either side of the instrument cluster"hood" & still be "Integrated" with the dash but that would hold my two gauges... properly & look trick as all hell... soo many ideas.. . Sooo little time ...

yer posts are better than watching Unique Whips...('Remy' teaches weekly hah!)

see ya in under a week!!
Old 07-25-05 | 11:39 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgy

NOW I gotta learn how to do this too. I have some ideas........ I need a custom made gauge pod for two gauges onto my 'A' pillar !! OR some custom molded '" gauge pods" that would go on either side of the instrument cluster"hood" & still be "Integrated" with the dash but that would hold my two gauges... properly & look trick as all hell... soo many ideas.. . Sooo little time ...

see ya in under a week!!
You should see the finished product Ed. It looks pretty awesome. Definitely a unique idea. I'm just not sure Glen will mind if I post pictures of it from last weekend's meet. In fact, the whole engine bay looks awesome.
Old 07-25-05 | 12:40 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Thanks Brian!

hopefully that will be posted soon & we all can see.. . hell i hopefully will see it 'fer realz' in a few days...

hey bro u coming to the races too..? be good to meet you finally hehehe i will be in town there Friday late morning...
Old 07-25-05 | 09:53 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Remy from Unique Whips is da man I love that show except all the play for the camera's. The Vida show was the best and of course it wasnt about the cars LOL!!!

RMMGS4 is the king. Man I wish I lived out there so I could learn from you. This is the kind of stuff I want to learn how to do, but I just dont have the skills. Maybe I'll just starting trying and eventually I'll get better.

I cant wait to see the box completed and installed. It's gonna be so so nice as is all your other work.
Old 07-26-05 | 11:32 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

no kidding ,.... they all 'play for the cameras' too much.. .sometimes it is funny other times just cheese & waste of tape... . even more so is that stoopid Texas Hardtails 'show'... 90% of that craps is SUCH BS !!! i am not sure if it is all just Ad Hoc, spur of the moment cheeseball antics or them trying to recreate "situations' at the shop/ bar that are supposed to be interesting or funny. But as they all SUCK at acting even just acting NATURAL in front of a camera at all... the whole show SUCKS ballzak

& the sily gun shots & ricochets in place of "bleep' when homeslice swears got methuselah old in about 7 minutes...

PS: EXCEPT for the Blonde HOTTIE!!!.. SHE can stay... the rest.. .GOTTA GO..

Sorry to digress folks ...

OK...B.O.T.

GLEN where's the next picture in a series..???

Last edited by edgy; 07-26-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-26-05 | 10:40 PM
RMMGS4

Hey guys, my pc was crashing all day yesterday, so I was just able to switch over to the laptop.

Here's the cover after it was removed from the mold and sanded down to the general shape. I could have left the wood un-attached leaving only a pure fiberglass shell, but I need the wood for what will happen last.

Here's the back side with the surface still rough. I'll add a lil more glass to fill in the low spots.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-26-05 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-26-05 | 10:49 PM
RMMGS4

Last finishing step is to coat the fiberglass with bondo and sand smooth to it's final shape. It's pretty much ready for paint after that.

Old 07-26-05 | 11:17 PM
RMMGS4

see ya in under a week!!
Thanks Ed. I watch Unique Whips, American Hot Rod, Overhaulin, American Chopper and all the shows. Believe me, this whole project took just one week to complete and we were under a bunch of deadlines and all the people that did parts of the car had to get things done each day in order for the next step to happen. Anything not done on time would set everything back. We even had a deadline to get the car done in time for the meet of which the wifeys car was announced as the main attraction. Lot's of pressure there. B_chau helped me out till 5:30 am the day of our meet. Then at 7:30 am, the painter called to deliver the last 2 pieces that he had just finished painting at 2:30 am. I didn't finish working on the parts till 10pm the night before, so he couldn't of painted them any sooner.

Too bad we didn't film the week on video cause I think it would of been a better episode than Unique Whips.

BigJoe, I did a ton of custom car audio installs for umpteen years, so Remy honestly doesn't impress me that much. There are tons of shops and skilled installers that can do what they do, they just have hook up with all the baller business that's all.

It was definitely like being on the American Hot Rod series with lot's of "OH *HIT" things happening that could have hosed us. I don't talk about my mini pick up that I recently pimped out in a FOOSE style of modding, but the liscence plate says "OVRHALN". I have the TV in the garage on either, SPEED, TLC or MTV. I'm either watching a show on building cars, bikes or watching racing like F1 e at 4am. The TV keeps me motivated, especially when I stay up late.

OK so much for off topic.

PS The Texas Hard Tails HOTTIE is the ONLY reason why I watch that show.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-26-05 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-26-05 | 11:33 PM
RMMGS4

Well I have to hold off on the rest of the photos till after the San Jose Grand Prix coming to my Home Town this week. I'm taking pics of the construction of the temporary street circuit, plus I am active with race related activities starting Wednesday.

Hopefully I'll finish up posting the finished job early next week.

Edgy,
you only have to wait less than 3 days to see INDGOGRL's finished car in person AND I have a lil surprise too !

Please PM me on CL. My IS300 account is all hosed up.
Old 07-27-05 | 01:06 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

woo hoo this is gunna be a FUN weekend...

PS The Texas Hard Tails HOTTIE is the ONLY reason why I watch that show.

HEHE great minds DO think alike!!!!!

i cant wait to get in town on friday... i'll call yer cel lwhen we arrive.... i am supposed to go karting with a bunch of friends.. . early evening... a late dinner would be the order of the day if i go... you wanna come? some place in Fremont lemans karting or something...?

any hoo... we will definitely hook up... if the schedule is too nuts for us all i can forego the karting experience fri night... but as usual I WANT IT ALL!!! heheh & itwoudl be cool to meet some of these kooks from Champcarfanatics.com/crapwagon.com.

PS: I can't wait to see the finished project..!!.

& ya know after watching that Unique Whips show AND others...etc... it appears to be that 70% of being able to do these installs is having the right tools & materials PLUS the basic knowledge on how to approach the job.. experience helps for sure but the basic skills needed are not necessarily beyond reach... just learned & perfected over time & install after install...

It is amazing what we can do ( at least me personally) once we just see it done once...I can usually run with the ball all the way to the line after clearly seeingmost of it done.
so between your killer posts & Pics Glen & the 4-5 shows i have seen on tv that actually SHOW fabrication being done & what not.... i have learned alot & think i iwl ltry this out myself some time soon... i need to install my Sub & Amp in my car soon Plus i need to get the same type setup into my wifes RX as well...

see ya in 48 Hours!!!
Old 07-27-05 | 01:18 PM
Neo
The One

some place in Fremont lemans karting or something...?
LOL. Glen is very familiar with that place.
Old 07-27-05 | 01:33 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
LOL. Glen is very familiar with that place.

Awesome...then

So folks ...lets ALL get in some hot laps at the kart track before dinner it time premits...? ...
they are cutting us a slight break on the cost cus we are a group.... like 35 bux with license etc etc....

do i need to bring my 'track day' helmet...? hahaha

edgy
... hating being at work right now....
Old 08-02-05 | 04:14 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

OK i gotta say... . this car is pretty doggone badass!!

It shows VERY well & i was lucky to literally "Stumble" across it on display at the San Jose Grand Prix races last weekend.. .i bumped into it on friday while i was making my way thru the expo area & over to the grand stand Glen was chilling at....

what a surprise! to see it all looking sweet & sexy at the show!!

You are a lucky woman Mrs Rmmgs4!!

My wife & I had a great tiime with you all at dinner Friday night... we must try to do it again when you all are down here for the LMW meet.. . i know the perfect place not far from LMW & my treat this time !!

i know your time is thin when here .. .but if we have time for dinner etc. after the meet...we gotta try it.

Thanks again for everything Glen. Sorry i had to leave early on Saturday Vs staying but it looks like everything will be ok here in time. The Crisis has subdued.

see ya in under two weeks!

edG

Last edited by edgy; 08-02-05 at 04:17 PM.