IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My IS Story: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 07:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear the crisis has subsided Ed.

Yeah I wanted to surprise you with INDGOGRL's car on display at the San Jose Grand Prix.

Looks like I accomplished that.

Well it's getting real close to ehe LMS meet and there are a ton of things to do. I don't have time to post all the mod progress currently, but hopefully I'll find time before we leave to show the finished poduct, plus a couple of mods that even Edgy hasn't seen .

Dinner with you and both our wives was great. Too bad you had to leave SJ early.

We'll take you up on dinner when we come down.

PM me for actual planst

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-03-05 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 07:48 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Glad to hear the crisis has subsided Ed.

Yeah I wanted to surprise you with INDGOGRL's car on display at the San Jose Grand Prix.

Looks like I accomplished that.

Well it's getting real close to he LMS meet and there are a ton of things to do. I don't have time to post all the mod progres currently, but hopefully I'll find time before we leave to show the finished poduct, plus a couple of mods that even Edgy hasn't seen .

We'll take you up on dinner.

PM me for actual plans.

hahah definitely i was surprised.....

i hear ya i just sent off a list of things i wantto get done at LMW befor ethe meet...mostly little detail stuff nothing major that any one will notice... but stuff i need to wrap up before the meet if possible....

we want to dyno & tune as well since the motor is now "ready" for that ... but it is SOO freakin HOT at the shop lately ( Inside the shop it is over 100 degrees by 10 am ) that it seems like a bit of a waste to tune for max HP in that weather..... i dunno the car runs great now ... & i know there is a lot more to come as i am stil lat 10.6- 11.4 A/F ration when at 3/4 to full throttle.

so we are leaving power on the table here & i want it...!! .

there is enough to do any how to keep us busy for 10 days or so.....

good luck with it all & BTW i got good pics of the rear end o' da car on Sat....
Old 08-03-05, 08:13 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by edgy
hahah definitely i was surprised.....

i hear ya i just sent off a list of things i wantto get done at LMW befor ethe meet...mostly little detail stuff nothing major that any one will notice... but stuff i need to wrap up before the meet if possible....

we want to dyno & tune as well since the motor is now "ready" for that ... but it is SOO freakin HOT at the shop lately ( Inside the shop it is over 100 degrees by 10 am ) that it seems like a bit of a waste to tune for max HP in that weather..... i dunno the car runs great now ... & i know there is a lot more to come as i am stil lat 10.6- 11.4 A/F ration when at 3/4 to full throttle.

so we are leaving power on the table here & i want it...!! .

there is enough to do any how to keep us busy for 10 days or so.....

good luck with it all & BTW i got good pics of the rear end o' da car on Sat....

Oh OK I didn't know if you were able to catch the mods out back on Saturday. Let's keep that a secret for a lil longer.

I just ran the car a lil hard today for the first time. Hit bout 12.5 and a momentary peak of 14 at the same throttle.

Hey,
can we meet for dinner on Friday. The wifey said she is already planned with a friend on Sat eve.
Old 08-04-05, 11:13 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

hehehe no sweat bro MUM'S the word for now hehehe

crud. Friday will be almost Impossible for me... My company is sponsoring the JP Morgan Tennis Tournament & we have a big event friday evening in Carson at the arena... I just was told I need to be there... I will try to see how I can possibly extricate myself from this event...I will have to let you know.......

Also if i can make it!!...knowing traffic in that area....we might need to make it a bit later than usual.. .say 7:30- 8:30 pm or so...?

ok...where r u coming from...? or when r u all arriving?

We can coordinate a time to meet via PM...talk to ya soon!
Old 08-06-05, 01:54 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

RMMGS4 How about sending me a pic of the finished product? I promise I wont share with anyone
Old 08-06-05, 10:11 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by BigJoeD
RMMGS4 How about sending me a pic of the finished product? I promise I wont share with anyone

Joe,
sneek pics have been released. You just need to know where to look !

If I can get my PC fixed, I'll be able to upload the finished pics soon.

Happy 200 posts. Check your PM.
Old 08-09-05, 11:03 AM
MSM_IS300
Rookie

Wow this must be the longest on going thead as it was started over 2 years ago with 34K viewing. Why is this not a sticky? Read a few pages and then went to the last. Were there any shots of the most recent photos taken?
Old 08-09-05, 11:12 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MSM_IS300
Wow this must be the longest on going thead as it was started over 2 years ago with 34K viewing. Why is this not a sticky? Read a few pages and then went to the last. Were there any shots of the most recent photos taken?
Check the NorCal forum and look for the Middle-of-Summer meet follow-up thread.
Old 08-09-05, 09:10 PM
RMMGS4

Sorry for the wait all. Our main PC gave up the ghost, so I am switching over to the laptop. Problem is I don't have access to it very much since it is used for the wifeys work.

OK here's the E-Manage unit mounted in position ready for a clear plexiglass cover that will be mounted over the top.

The plexiglass is glued to the top with 2 part epoxy resin. The blue area is the protective film that will later be masked off when the cover is painted. This will leave an unpainted clear area to show the E-Manage unit inside.

A flush trim bit is used to router off the plexiglass level with the ECU cover.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-10-05 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-09-05, 09:19 PM
RMMGS4

Here's the plexiglass after the edges have been routered flush with the ECU cover.

Next I use a round over bit to evenly round the corners. I want the box to have the same shape as the stock cover, so rounding over the edges will help match the stock corners pretty well.

You can see the metal tape that was wrapped around the box. This was done to protect the surface of the box from any resin glue that might drip out from under the plexiglass.

Bondo (also kown as body filler)was used to fill any gaps between the plexiglass and the cover. The rounded coners of the plexiglass were then sanded smooth along with the bondo to make a seamless transition.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-09-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 09:43 PM
RMMGS4

A coat of primer over the bondo and plexiglass edge shows that there is no visible seam or crack.

The top area of the plexiglass was masking taped off to match up exactly with the E-manage mounting location.

The whole cover was then given a final coat of black primer. This piece is ready for the color coat.

Note the slotted hole on the back. This hole will allow access to the USB port on the E-manage in order to plug a laptop into it. A removable plug fits into this hole when not in use.

Old 08-09-05, 09:52 PM
RMMGS4

I know some of you have seen spy photos of the finished product, but the truth is there are still some mods not yet installed that NO ONE has seen including me.

Those who saw the stage 1 ECU box now know that it was a temporary job until I had more time to re-do it into what you see on these last photos that I just took..

The painter is spraying this part tomorrow, which will conclude all the mod work for the engine bay.. Next step is to install all of it knowing I have just 2 more days before we leave for LA to attend the LMS meet.

I haven't got much sleep this week, and I gotta get back to work right now if this is going to get done in time for the meet.

Those who attend the LMS meet this Saturday, please stop by and say Hi to INDGOGRL.

My next posts will be of the finished engine bay.

FINALLY !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-10-05 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-09-05, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i saw all the details about the ecu cover yesterday night. let's just say it's such a master piece of work. very nicely done, and its just perfect!
Old 08-09-05, 10:25 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant wait to see it at the meet!
Old 08-09-05, 10:36 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I know some of you have seen spy photos of the finished product, but the truth is there are still some mods not yet installed that NO ONE has seen including me.

Those who saw the stage 1 ECU box now know that it was a temporary job until I had more time to re-do it into what you see on these last photos that I just took..

The painter is spraying this part tomorrow, which will conclude all the mod work for the engine bay.. Next step is to install all of it knowing I have just 2 more days before we leave for LA to attend the LMS meet.

I haven't got much sleep this week, and I gotta get back to work right now if this is going to get done on time for the meet.

Those who attend the LMS meet this Saturday, please stop by and say Hi to INDGOGRL.

My next posts will be of the finished engine bay.

FINALLY !
Nice work Glen. The new ECU cover looks cleaner. I wish I could've watched you fabricate this one for my own education.

I plan to head down to San Jose tomorrow night and wouldn't mind stopping by your house to check out what you're up to next.

Quick Reply: My IS Story: Day 1