IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My IS Story: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 10:48 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kirby122
It was great meeting the both of you at the mett, you two were very gracious... Thanks for telling me more about the skid plate and your custom HU bezel... both cars look great and keep up the great work!!!

Thanks Kirby.

Glad to be of help.
Old 08-16-05, 11:05 PM
eyedrop
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
This is the way PLP chose to set up the fuel management system. I'm not an expert on the subject but from what I understand is that the injector is controlled by a SplitSecond stand alone fuel management box located on the right side of the engine compartment. This was intentionally designed as a separate set up from the E-manage. Even though the E-manage is capable of controlling the additional injector, it is not utilized for this, because the SplitSecond allows better resolution and fine tuning.

If you go for high boost, then larger injectors would be required. This is a fairly conservative set up, so under no boost conditions, the stock injectors are adequate with just a little help from the 7th injector as needed.

Don't ask me any more than this cause that's as far as my knowledge goes.
Glen, I think this is something Brian bought separately to control the additional injector. It doesn't come with the PLP kit originally. He can correct me if my memory is wrong.
Old 08-16-05, 11:13 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by eyedrop
Glen, I think this is something Brian bought separately to control the additional injector. It doesn't come with the PLP kit originally. He can correct me if my memory is wrong.
You're right, I remember now. Maybe b_chau can chime in to clarify. In any case Mike suggested that I continue to use the SplitSecond instead of the E-manage to control it.
Old 08-17-05, 07:41 AM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

You're right, I remember now. Maybe b_chau can chime in to clarify. In any case Mike suggested that I continue to use the SplitSecond instead of the E-manage to control it.
Yeah, Glen.

The only reason I asked is that there have been issues with the stock ECU relearning and messing up the emanage settings. Some people have had serious engine problems because of this issue with the Lexus "****" ecu(always trying to tkae control). The SplitSecond was definately the way to go to control the problem
Old 08-17-05, 11:30 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

The Split Second AIC1 that's used to control the 7th injector came with the older PLP Vortech kits. What I bought separately is a Split Second ESC1 (EGO Signal Conditioner). That does not come with the kit and it's just another box a lot of people had purchased to force the ECU into open-loop operation while in boost. Essentially what the ESC1 does is detect positive manifold pressure (boost) and trick the stock ECU into open-loop mode.

The ESC1 isn't really necessary IMO, but some people use it because it prevents the ECU from taking over the EManage settings while in boost. I still have it, just sitting in the garage.
Old 08-17-05, 11:34 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Also, Glen, let me say that I'm extremely impressed by all the work you've done to the car and how you transformed my old Vortech kit into a masterpiece. Kudos to you, my friend!!

And let me know when you're fabricating v3 of the ECU cover. I'm hoping to learn some of your skills. Besides, you know I'll need to visit you sometime next month for your assistance with my recent purchase.
Old 08-17-05, 11:55 PM
eyedrop
Driver

Thumbs up

I guess I'm wrong to chime in on your kit, bchau. I just remembered from things you've told me before...

So is it a done deal? You purchased your "secret" mod already?
Old 08-18-05, 12:08 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyedrop
I guess I'm wrong to chime in on your kit, bchau. I just remembered from things you've told me before...

So is it a done deal? You purchased your "secret" mod already?
Not really a "secret" mod, but yes, I finally gave in a bought what I wanted along with something you don't have.
Old 08-18-05, 09:51 AM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bchau_gt
Not really a "secret" mod, but yes, I finally gave in a bought what I wanted along with something you don't have.
oh man brian, don't tease us! what is it??
Old 08-18-05, 10:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Ooooh dang! Anyone want to wager on what Brian bought? LOL jk.
Old 08-18-05, 11:00 AM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Ooooh dang! Anyone want to wager on what Brian bought? LOL jk.
Probably not to hard to figure out
Old 08-18-05, 02:21 PM
NaFooEsi
Driver School Candidate

I saw the car in person. It is sooo clean. I don't visit here often, but after talking with Glenn in person, I have to check it out here. I'm in awe with the devotion both of you put into the car. it's really a master piece down to the slightest details. Big props for all the efforts. Only if I knew about this car before the LMS meet, I'd spent more time checking out every inch of it. You da man, Glenn!

Jas
Old 08-18-05, 03:32 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigJoeD
Probably not to hard to figure out
Haha Joe, it's actually not performance related if you were thinking that I'm boosting my car again. I'm not ready to do it again just yet.

Originally Posted by TCM080903
oh man brian, don't tease us! what is it??
I'm not telling... it's really nothing special.
Old 08-18-05, 09:23 PM
RMMGS4

Also, Glen, let me say that I'm extremely impressed by all the work you've done to the car and how you transformed my old Vortech kit into a masterpiece. Kudos to you, my friend!!

And let me know when you're fabricating v3 of the ECU cover. I'm hoping to learn some of your skills. Besides, you know I'll need to visit you sometime next month for your assistance with my recent purchase.

Brian, it wouldn't of happened without your support and all the tech help plus all the time you spent tweeking / tuning your set up to make it virtually plug & play for me.

With only 1 hour of drive time since the installation, I wouldn't of been comfortable making the LA trip as the maiden voyage to break in the set-up, if I didn't think the set up wasn't reliable and safe.

The car ran great all the way, without a hitch.

As far as the visual transformation of your old set up, the original intention was never to make the engine compartment into a show piece. We originally wanted the low profile PLP "LOOK", but one thing led to another, certain opportunities came my way, plus a ton of sponsorship to ease the financial impact sure didn't hurt.

As far as learning how I do mods, well there's always my car to do next !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-18-05 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:28 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

this IS story should be published with pics n all and offered for sale to us CL'ers. i love following this thread!!!

Quick Reply: My IS Story: Day 1