How i finally fixed P2757 on my Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 03:18 PM
ECTpwr
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How i finally fixed P2757 on my Lexus IS250

How it started and Symptoms:
3 years ago I bought a used Lexus IS250 gen II, it is produced in the first couple of months when they launched gen II (to be precise November 2005). When I drove it home for the first time it showed check engine warning light. You can imagine the look on my face at the time. I got the car scanned and it showed couple of codes, one of which was P2757 which is a transmission error code or exactly as it says in the service manual:

DTC P2757 Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Performance (Shift Solenoid Valve SLU)

I had no idea back then that I will remember this code for a loooong time
I couldn't tell the symptoms at first because this was my first automatic transmission car, but after watching some videos and reading about this car I started noticing some. First I noticed that it shifted gears too early when city driving, something like 4th or 5th gear on 40 or 50 Km/h which translated around 1000 rpm. Because of this also there was some clanking noise coming from beneath or upfront when driving at low rpm and it was barely noticeable. Also there was a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear, something like the clutch was never released in between shift :O !!! The car would stall when shifting from reverse into drive or vice-versa. But those symptoms were not constant, they were intermittent.

First attempts for a fix:
I decided to do some transmission oil changes with Toyota's ATF WS oil, also I changed the transmission oil filter. The code appeared once again. Did oil changes couple more times, no improvement !
Then I decided to read and watch videos of how torque converter automatic transmissions work and also found a video on YT where a guy changes the SLT solenoid which is actually the Pressure Control Solenoid (And I thought it had nothing to do with my problem but I still went with it). After changing the SLT the error appeared again so I decided to read and understand what could the problem be. After I had some basic understanding of my automatic transmission and according to the actual symptoms I was pretty sure that it had something to do with the SLU valve (which the actual error code points to). The potential causes I thought possible were the following:
- The ECU was sending signals to the SLU valve at the wrong time (I was guessing maybe some wire short on occasions or more disturbing ECU damage)
- The SLU had occasional electrical problems
- The SLU had occasional mechanical problems
- The SLU had occasional hydraulic problems

The actual FIX:
I don't remember now, maybe out of rage or impatience I ordered the SLU valve before testing the signals sent from the ECU. When it arrived I changed it, which actually fixed the problem. I've been driving my car for 7-8 months now and no error code or any of the symptoms mentioned above have appeared.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
The problem with P2757 was probably the SLU valve sticking and not opening/closing on time (or at all) which can cause clutch wear (this is the clutch which is inside the torque converter drum). When clutch wear appears, the residue then circulates in the system and causes other problems, like other valves sticking for example and you will probably see other error codes as well which will make the repair even more expensive.
Also If you have only this error code and changing the SLU valve doesn't help, if you have the money you can try with the SLT valve. I say this because when searching for SLU and SLT valves on amayama's website I noticed that both of those valves have updated part versions (I don't know why Lexus would update parts silently like this and not notify its users). The updated versions have a little visual differences, but most importantly they have something like a colander or like a metallic net (excuse my english), which would probably be keeping the oil sludge out. Here are the updated part numbers for both of those solenoids:
SLT valve 35290-34010
SLU valve 35280-30050 (please double check those numbers)

Excuse my bad English, I hope this helps someone
And most important, I am not a mechanic, so tread carefully

Last edited by ECTpwr; 02-26-23 at 03:41 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ECTpwr:
07lexis (04-19-23), Beamish (04-23-23), DJPsystems (02-26-23), santoku (02-26-23), TreyGee (06-17-23)
Old 04-19-23, 05:13 PM
07lexis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem when i first bought my is250. It would mainly come on when going up a slight incline or hill. It was annoying as heck, after extensive research i narrowed it down to the slu! I installed it myself, and then changed the tranny fluid, pan gasket, and filter, and the problem has gone.
Old 06-17-23, 06:37 PM
TreyGee
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm having most of these symptoms that you are mentioning

Originally Posted by ECTpwr
3 years ago I bought a used Lexus IS250 gen II, it is produced in the first couple of months when they launched gen II (to be precise November 2005). When I drove it home for the first time it showed check engine warning light. You can imagine the look on my face at the time. I got the car scanned and it showed couple of codes, one of which was P2757 which is a transmission error code or exactly as it says in the service manual:

DTC P2757 Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Performance (Shift Solenoid Valve SLU)

I couldn't tell the symptoms at first because this was my first automatic transmission car, but after watching some videos and reading about this car I started noticing some. First I noticed that it shifted gears too early when city driving, something like 4th or 5th gear on 40 or 50 Km/h which translated around 1000 rpm. Because of this also there was some clanking noise coming from beneath or upfront when driving at low rpm and it was barely noticeable. Also there was a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear, something like the clutch was never released in between shift :O !!! The car would stall when shifting from reverse into drive or vice-versa. But those symptoms were not constant, they were intermittent.

I decided to do some transmission oil changes with Toyota's ATF WS oil, also I changed the transmission oil filter. The code appeared once again. Did oil changes couple more times, no improvement !
Then I decided to read and watch videos of how torque converter automatic transmissions work and also found a video on YT where a guy changes the SLT solenoid which is actually the Pressure Control Solenoid (And I thought it had nothing to do with my problem but I still went with it). After changing the SLT the error appeared again so I decided to read and understand what could the problem be. After I had some basic understanding of my automatic transmission and according to the actual symptoms I was pretty sure that it had something to do with the SLU valve (which the actual error code points to). The potential causes I thought possible were the following:
- The ECU was sending signals to the SLU valve at the wrong time (I was guessing maybe some wire short on occasions or more disturbing ECU damage)

The actual FIX:
I don't remember now, maybe out of rage or impatience I ordered the SLU valve before testing the signals sent from the ECU. When it arrived I changed it, which actually fixed the problem. I've been driving my car for 7-8 months now and no error code or any of the symptoms mentioned above have appeared.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
The problem with P2757 was probably the SLU valve sticking and not opening/closing on time (or at all) which can cause clutch wear (this is the clutch which is inside the torque converter drum). When clutch wear appears, the residue then circulates in the system and causes other problems, like other valves sticking for example and you will probably see other error codes as well which will make the repair even more expensive.
Also If you have only this error code and changing the SLU valve doesn't help, if you have the money you can try with the SLT valve. I say this because when searching for SLU and SLT valves on amayama's website I noticed that both of those valves have updated part versions (I don't know why Lexus would update parts silently like this and not notify its users). The updated versions have a little visual differences, but most importantly they have something like a colander or like a metallic net (excuse my english), which would probably be keeping the oil sludge out. Here are the updated part numbers for both of those solenoids:
SLT valve 35290-34010

i Have a p2757 code that comes on and off with most of the these sympotms you mentioned (shuddering from 1st to 2nd gear, and 2nd to 3rd gear, also car wont go into 6th gear unless at operating temperature, also it will shift into gears eariler than it should in the city), I ordered
both the SLT and SLT selonoid OEM and new fluid with new filter, I now have all the parts and this monday the 19th i will go change the 2 selonoids, fluid, and filter and will update yall if my symptoms have gone away as well, im glad you confirmed my beliefs about the symptoms and SLU SLT selonoids!

Old 06-19-23, 10:54 PM
TreyGee
2nd gear

Default Changed it today

Originally Posted by TreyGee
i Have a p2757 code that comes on and off with most of the these sympotms you mentioned (shuddering from 1st to 2nd gear, and 2nd to 3rd gear, also car wont go into 6th gear unless at operating temperature, also it will shift into gears eariler than it should in the city), I ordered
both the SLT and SLT selonoid OEM and new fluid with new filter, I now have all the parts and this monday the 19th i will go change the 2 selonoids, fluid, and filter and will update yall if my symptoms have gone away as well, im glad you confirmed my beliefs about the symptoms and SLU SLT selonoids!

car doesn't shudder from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3 anymore which is Amazing, also shifts much better and so much more responsive to input! drove it about 50 miles, no check engine code, still shift early which I'm starting to think is normal, I go into 4th gear at 20mph, 5th gear at 30mph and 6th gear at 40mph which is kind of Wild, not sure if it Normal or not! only thing that concerns me is I lost about 3.8 qts of old fluid, and I put in 4 qts, but lost a qt threw the overfill plug, I think my car was too hot when I opened the over fill, I opened it at 140 Fahrenheit instead of 105 which is so wrong 😭 but I had no choice cause I had to leave the DIY garage! either way I think it was a success BS old fluid was so black , gonna try to open the overfill at 105 f and see if anything else comes out, if not will add more untill it drips out and close it! PEACE

Old 04-25-24, 11:10 PM
Maniak
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TreyGee
car doesn't shudder from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3 anymore which is Amazing, also shifts much better and so much more responsive to input! drove it about 50 miles, no check engine code, still shift early which I'm starting to think is normal, I go into 4th gear at 20mph, 5th gear at 30mph and 6th gear at 40mph which is kind of Wild, not sure if it Normal or not! only thing that concerns me is I lost about 3.8 qts of old fluid, and I put in 4 qts, but lost a qt threw the overfill plug, I think my car was too hot when I opened the over fill, I opened it at 140 Fahrenheit instead of 105 which is so wrong 😭 but I had no choice cause I had to leave the DIY garage! either way I think it was a success BS old fluid was so black , gonna try to open the overfill at 105 f and see if anything else comes out, if not will add more untill it drips out and close it! PEACE

Hello ! Did any problems came back or other problems that weren't there showed up ? I have the same problem as you guys but I don't know if I should get a transmission from the junkyard or try to fix it myself.
Old 06-25-24, 01:24 PM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The actual FIX:

IMPORTANT NOTE:
SLT valve 35290-34010

Not to revive an old thread but Im purchasing an is250 2006 with very low miles, it has the 2757 code but the owner says he already changed the solenoid and that it needs to be programmed by the dealer or somebody for $800.

Did you guys have to do any programming or was it simply plug and play? I'm assuming he's already tried this fix because it seems pretty easy but maybe there's something I'm missing.
Old 06-25-24, 04:48 PM
ECTpwr
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Gone4broke
Not to revive an old thread but Im purchasing an is250 2006 with very low miles, it has the 2757 code but the owner says he already changed the solenoid and that it needs to be programmed by the dealer or somebody for $800.

Did you guys have to do any programming or was it simply plug and play? I'm assuming he's already tried this fix because it seems pretty easy but maybe there's something I'm missing.
Nope, just changed the solenoids and it worked, no programming needed. 2 years have passed since I changed the solenoids and no issues with the transmission. I recently changed the filter and transmission oil from the drain plug (NOT transmission flash) and everything is fine

Last edited by ECTpwr; 06-25-24 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-25-24, 05:02 PM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Nope, just changed the solenoids and it worked, no programming needed. 2 years have passed since I changed the solenoids and no issues with the transmission. I recently changed the filter and transmission oil from the drain plug (NOT transmission flash) and everything is fine
Interesting. Why do you think this vehicle is still intermittently throwing the 2757 code if that solenoid has already been replaced?
Old 06-25-24, 05:38 PM
ECTpwr
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Gone4broke
Interesting. Why do you think this vehicle is still intermittently throwing the 2757 code if that solenoid has already been replaced?
Actually I changed 2 solenoids, read my initial thread to see which ones
Old 06-25-24, 05:46 PM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Actually I changed 2 solenoids, read my initial thread to see which ones
Right so maybe he only changed one of them and that's why it's still throwing a code at times. I haven't seen the code yet since driving it 15 or so miles. I just need to figure out which one he changed if that was the case. He did say that he changed a solenoid and it still throws that code because it needs to be programmed which can only be done by lexus or a garage with the tool.

He didn't say that he changed two.