IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Teyes CC3 Android Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23 | 04:33 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alternet
Yes most of these units are basically the exact same hardware wise and run android 10. But it is the interface that makes the Teyes the best (as well as quality control and testing of the units). I'm trying not to sound like a salesman here but Its clean smooth and they have the best tech support who will try their best to fix what ever issues you may have.

I was actually looking at Mekede units before Teyes but then i came across Teyes and I just liked the look of the interface much better. I definitely paid more but i do not regret it.

If the price point is on your mind or you don't really like or care about the interface... for sure go with an alternative like in kind unit. It updates the car in such a way that it almost feels like a new car now.
Originally Posted by BikeGuy
I do admit that's exactly what sent me in the direction of Teyes, the UI looked a lot nicer than anything else I had seen. As much as there is some support it can be hit as miss from my understanding and with my personal experience you need to stay on then to receive the support, if you don't continually message and ask any update you won't receive anything, the conversation will go dead. For firmware you may notice that these guys pump out more updates than other FYT brands, but this isn't necessarily a good thing as something may or may not be fixed and other new bugs will come out of the woodwork, I have read many times if your unit works decently for you then do not update and having followed Teyes threads for a while now I'd say that's good advice.

This may or may not be of interest to you... A member of 4PDA a non english speaking forum has developed a modified firmware to fix some of the Teyes bugs, it works great on my CC3 and I think I'll stick with it, but the interesting part is that member has extended compatibility for "MEKEDE M6 Pro/M6 Pro Plus" <-- these units may be cheaper than Teyes ? Depending how savvy you are and how deep you want to go with tinkering, this could be a good way to go as this firmware is the best I've tried to date, most stock Teyes CC3 firmware versions have had annoyances/bugs, don't get me wrong there are still some annoyances, though liveable. In regards to the firmware on Mekede I have no experience or read anything other than one member on XDA purchased a Mekede and is going to eventually try the firmware once they become situated with the unit. Another crucial bit of information is that there is a charge for the firmware, it's very inexpensive. You can find his website where you can contact the dev via Telegram the firmware is named "Vincent Vega Edition"

If you can register at 4PDA and utilize google translate they have a massive thread for CC3 which can be a huge help. (need to register to be able to download)
Appreciate all the information on both. I do really like the interface look of the Teyes and it is also what drew me into it at first over the rest found elsewhere. It still might. My primary use though plans to be Android Auto so I will rarely see the UI other than using the A/C settings. So I am torn as to whether the extra cost is worth it in that case. Interesting to here that the Teyes after so much time still has bugs though that they have not fixed and someone else had to.
Old 05-23-23 | 08:44 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

I'd like to chime in with some of my knowledge about these Chinese units, there has been some great discussion here.

The Teyes Unit is a FYT-based Android unit. There are numerous companies that use this FYT style unit, you can tell by the design and the location of the buttons. MEKEDE is another one of these manufacturers, they also offer the same features and have similar UI interfaces. Also the same upgrades, ex: 2k screen that removes the side buttons and replaces them with soft buttons. There's also Idoing, Joying, Atoto, Navifly, and an insane amount of other companies that will share a similar design.
Both Teyes and Mekede (I've used from my own personal experience), offer a similar launcher UI. There are other units that Teyes has that use the VIVID launcher.

I have a Mekede M6 Pro installed on my girlfriends 2017 Highlander, the UI is the same as the Teyes one. I would also like to add that these units lie about their Android version, its kind of just an accepted fact at this point. Android 12 is actually Android 10 (API 29). I believe the RAM is also reported differently, some manufacturers (pretty much resellers at this point) will lie about the available RAM. XDA-Developers has an insane amount of threads for these FYT-based UIS7862 units. I went with the Mekede unit because it was the cheapest one I could get with the 2k Screen.

Of course, I only pretty much install these units to use Android Auto / CarPlay. I've been using these for years, and they have been getting better and better. The 2k screen on the Mekede Unit looks great, wireless AA/CP works maybe 70% of the time. Sometimes it requires exiting the AA/CP app, or repairing bluetooth on the mobile device. All FYT units still have the nasty Google Contacts issue that will delete all your contacts, but I haven't had that happen to me. I will say that this unit is actually buggier than my 10.25 inch Binary/Lexion unit I have in my 2017 ES350. My Binary/Lexion unit has not had any issues with Wireless AA/CP connections, but it also has its own demons. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...l#post11506448. You can see all my posts about the Binary unit here.
The following users liked this post:
Jahseriah (05-24-23)
Old 05-25-23 | 03:04 AM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ahmed24
as for the vent. Yes these units are made for the newer design vent which I already had and was planning to swap out. So worked out well for me
What did you have to do to make the 09+ vent fit your IS?

I have an 07 that I'm interest in picking up this head unit for and want to have the newer vents fit like yours do. Thank you.
Old 05-30-23 | 04:07 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Originally Posted by shoodes
I'd like to chime in with some of my knowledge about these Chinese units, there has been some great discussion here.

The Teyes Unit is a FYT-based Android unit. There are numerous companies that use this FYT style unit, you can tell by the design and the location of the buttons. MEKEDE is another one of these manufacturers, they also offer the same features and have similar UI interfaces. Also the same upgrades, ex: 2k screen that removes the side buttons and replaces them with soft buttons. There's also Idoing, Joying, Atoto, Navifly, and an insane amount of other companies that will share a similar design.
Both Teyes and Mekede (I've used from my own personal experience), offer a similar launcher UI. There are other units that Teyes has that use the VIVID launcher.

I have a Mekede M6 Pro installed on my girlfriends 2017 Highlander, the UI is the same as the Teyes one. I would also like to add that these units lie about their Android version, its kind of just an accepted fact at this point. Android 12 is actually Android 10 (API 29). I believe the RAM is also reported differently, some manufacturers (pretty much resellers at this point) will lie about the available RAM. XDA-Developers has an insane amount of threads for these FYT-based UIS7862 units. I went with the Mekede unit because it was the cheapest one I could get with the 2k Screen.

Of course, I only pretty much install these units to use Android Auto / CarPlay. I've been using these for years, and they have been getting better and better. The 2k screen on the Mekede Unit looks great, wireless AA/CP works maybe 70% of the time. Sometimes it requires exiting the AA/CP app, or repairing bluetooth on the mobile device. All FYT units still have the nasty Google Contacts issue that will delete all your contacts, but I haven't had that happen to me. I will say that this unit is actually buggier than my 10.25 inch Binary/Lexion unit I have in my 2017 ES350. My Binary/Lexion unit has not had any issues with Wireless AA/CP connections, but it also has its own demons. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...l#post11506448. You can see all my posts about the Binary unit here.
You talk about wireless AA/CP only working 70% of the time. Most of these don't mention wireless Android Auto even working. So if you are using the cable does it work 100% of the time or is it a software issue with Android Auto running period.
shoodes (06-01-23)
Old 05-30-23 | 09:40 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WReuroR
You talk about wireless AA/CP only working 70% of the time. Most of these don't mention wireless Android Auto even working. So if you are using the cable does it work 100% of the time or is it a software issue with Android Auto running period.
I know for a fact that Wireless AA works. It's not my vehicle, my girlfriend drives it, but every time I am with her, it connects MOST (maybe 70% was too low of a number) of the time. They were advertised when I purchased it so it may be different for each reseller. We aren't using the cable at all. If the AA fails to connect, we just disconnect the bluetooth and reconnect bluetooth again before it works. It's definitely a software issue with these units. Both devices are S23 Ultras.

For another reference, my Binary unit in my 2017 ES350 connects wirelessly almost 100% of the time. I have only had it not connect once.

If your vehicle supports wireless AA/CP, the most work I've had to do is just connect to the headunits bluetooth and then connect the cable, let it "pair" or whatever, and then on the next drive it just opens and does everything automatically. I know for hers, there was a setting when you first open the AA/CP pairing app that you have to enable.
CCColtsicehockey (05-30-23)
Old 06-13-23 | 01:37 PM
richbroke
5th Gear

Question for you @ahmed24

I just installed my CC3 and got canbus all setup. I noticed that when i change the volume with the volume **** that it changes one volume (i'm assuming amp volume?). on the other hand the steering wheel buttons change the head unit volume. Have you found a way to get both the **** and steering wheel buttons to control the same volume (preferably the amp? volume)?
If you haven't figured it out, you can cut the SW1 wire going to the canbus module (just search is350 radio pinout on google and you can find the correct wire) and this will prevent the unit from recognizing the button. Then we have to bypass the canbus module and connect that wire to the head unit (where the wire would have gone originally). Its the same color so you should be able to see it. I believe its either pink or green. This will allow your volume controls to function normally, but this also disables the seek and prev buttons. You can tap this wire and connect it to the cc3's steering learning pin and then program your controls from there to reenable the track buttons. Doing this to the sw2 wire also allows you to do what OP did with voice and mode buttons.
Old 06-23-23 | 05:33 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Well taking the leap. Just ordered the Teyes CC3 2k with the factory looking bezel. Was starting to get annoyed with not being able to control my AC other than my temp since my touch screen has been dead for the past year.
Old 07-12-23 | 02:26 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

So I have installed the radio. It took a while to figure out why it wouldn't work but turned out my battery was dieing and the amp wouldn't turn on. Turned the car on and it worked. I saw a few reports you could get the OEM camera to work on the 08s but I can't get mine to work which doesn't matter I bought a new camera just didn't have time to install and run the cable yet. I still have not gotten the CD player to play audio to the unit. Maybe this isn't supposed to work but I was hoping it would still so I could play my DVD Audio discs. The 2k screen also makes content bigger than the actual bezel. I remember seeing somewhere either on another forum or on XDA of a way to fix that before I ordered but now I can't find it either.

I am really impressed with the sound quality and so far AA connects every time except this morning when I got in the car already on a call it wouldn't connect up. The 2k resolution is a bit much for Android Auto but hopefully as cars get higher resolution screens Google will do something to handle this as a few of the controls could be larger.
Old 07-13-23 | 07:22 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Could also just be a random coincidence but my airbag light is also on now after installing the radio.
Old 08-11-23 | 09:49 AM
echong
4th Gear

someone who has this screen installed in an IS-F, is it possible? with a specific plug?
Old 08-14-23 | 08:26 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Could also just be a random coincidence but my airbag light is also on now after installing the radio.
you missed something when connecting it up.
CCColtsicehockey (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23 | 07:47 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

you missed something when connecting it up.
Is there something you disconnect with the radio in the dash that is tied to the airbag circuit?
Old 08-21-23 | 09:14 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Is there something you disconnect with the radio in the dash that is tied to the airbag circuit?
yes the connector that usually connects to the hazard button and clock module. It’s the white connector that usually is mounted to the side of the frame. It’s a very common installation error as some connectors are the same
CCColtsicehockey (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23 | 10:55 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Originally Posted by ahmed24
yes the connector that usually connects to the hazard button and clock module. It’s the white connector that usually is mounted to the side of the frame. It’s a very common installation error as some connectors are the same
Yeah, my hazards don't work either. That explains it then. Here I thought maybe I had bumped something in the pillar while installing my mic with the airbag system or had the issue with the knee airbag harness that is common. Great to know they are one in the same right now. I hope I don't have it plugged into the wrong thing then and fried something though. Appreciate the insight.
Old 08-24-23 | 08:39 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Has anyone else done the 2k screen with the faceplate? The faceplate with the larger 10in 2k screen causes the edge of the screen to get cut off. I just did a firmware update for this, but it didn't fix anything with just the update. I imagine there is a setting to change in the menus after the firmware update but I have not found it yet. I'm waiting to hear back from support but I figured I would see if anyone else already solved this problem here.