IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Broken 2nd chain - See if I can fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 05:25 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Broken 2nd chain - See if I can fix it.

Sharing is caring. I learned so much here. Time to share some and hopefully learn more if I am making mistakes. Your comments are welcome.
2006 IS350 with over 200K.
Code P0390 - bank 2 exhaust cam sensor not reading. Engine cranks strong and smoothly. Engine no start.
First thing is of course change out the cam sensor. Known good OEM sensor still gave the same code.
Remove the sensor and put a paint mark on the cam lobe. Crank it for couple sec. Yellow mark did not move. Crank again. Still no movement.
So, either the bolt VVT cam gear to shaft came loose, or secondary chain broke. Right?
2006 IS350 is using 2GR-FSE engine. Is it an interference engine? I could not find a definite answer.
Time to open the valve cover to see.

Damn, I thought Toyota would be easier to work on than BMWs I deal with. The engine wiring harness is in the way and so rigid to move around.The connectors are also all brittle and unwilling to get disconnected. I still could not disconnect the connectors for the injectors. Any suggestion how to move the harness away?

Where is the 2nd chain?
Here:

So. Engine rotated with a camshaft not rotating. There must be bent valves?
I removed the camshaft to see if valves are all closed. They look like so viewing from top.
Using my articulating endoscope, I found no bent valves. All 3 cylinders have no kissing mark on valves or pistons.

Wet because plug hole was filled with oil and dripped into cylinder when plug was removed.

Also the collar on the cam gear is about to come off:

What is next? I need a 2nd chain, an exhaust cam gear, a valve cover gasket, a chain tensioner.
I am hoping to not remove the front timing cover and be able to install the chain. Is it possible if I can get access to loosening the chain tensioner after setting the timing to have all marks aligned, and keep the timing chain taut. Possible?
If I remove the harmonic pulley, Can I see the marking?
Now I am patiently waiting for the parts to come.
The following users liked this post:
Protholl (04-14-23)
Old 04-20-23, 08:44 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Plenty of videos on ut showing how to set timing with front timing cover off. However, taking the timing cover off is a lot of work. It involves removing the oil pan (which could mean removing the engine) to access 2 or 3 bolts holding the front cover from bottom. I don't want to remove front cover.
Question now is when timing chain is aligned with all the marks on the chain and the crankshaft camshaft sprockets, what degree is the crankshaft? Is it 0 degree DTC as if the timing cover and crank pulley are installed?

See 9:48 in youtube video:

Or this:

If u are to put the front timing cover and crank pulley back on, what position is the crankshaft? DTC 0 degree? 5 degree? 10 degree? If we know that answer, we do not have to remove the cover to set timing. Removing the cover is a lot of work.

Last edited by DEREKC; 04-20-23 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-24-23, 11:00 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Nice thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...008-is350.html