IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Port Moody not honoring warranty! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 01:25 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealership trying to scam me (URGENT!)

Hey guys!

Would appreciate some help asap. My is250 with 44xxx miles on it started to misfire, jerk whenever I try and hit higher speeds, Engine light + VSC light is now on. What would be a common issue that can occur as such?

Story time:
Was assured the car would have warranty for anything that is broken, or stuff that would break within 3 months. Get there and they said that they didn't apply for it and now I am stuck to pay for it myself, currently I am waiting on a a lawyer to check the situation out because they're just trying to be dishonest with me at this point. All of these issues happened within the first 10 days.

Engine drives rough, tranny shifts rough, brakes are under required safety thickness, exhaust is bent/rusted out, burning smells randomly come out.. and the cherry on top is the cat failing (rotten eggs).

Last edited by Stereo; 05-03-23 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (04-29-23)
Old 04-19-23, 01:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Is this a Lexus dealership and did the car come with a CPO warranty (and paperwork)? Or some independent dealership?

Did you have a window sticker from the car or receipt that says 'Warranty'?
Old 04-19-23, 01:30 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

Its a Lexus dealership - its an 07' is250 I should've added that into the post. No paperwork.. as apparently all used vehicles come with a comprehensive warranty for 3 months.
Old 04-19-23, 01:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

If there is something that states that on their website or on your paperwork, then ask for the dealership GM to calmly state your case for repair. Filing paperwork has nothing to do with this.

Don't know what dealership but look for something like this
https://openroadlexusrichmond.com/op...car-difference

Since you purchased on 3/26 you could go in and demand an exchange if not covered under powertrain
Stereo (04-19-23)
Old 04-19-23, 01:44 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

Will do. Currently asking them to write down the codes that appeared.. as I don't want them to just "erase and forget" it every happened.
Old 04-19-23, 01:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Also get a written service record including your symptoms in the system if they give you the car back unfixed. Make sure it's formally recorded with the date, mileage etc if you need to draw this out beyond warranty period.
Stereo (04-19-23)
Old 04-19-23, 01:51 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the tip! First dealership I have dealt with that wanted to do something this sc*mmy.
Old 04-19-23, 03:54 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereo
Hey guys!

Would appreciate some help asap. My is250 with 44xxx miles on it started to misfire, jerk whenever I try and hit higher speeds, Engine light + VSC light is now on. What would be a common issue that can occur as such?

Story time:
Was assured the car would have warranty for anything that is broken, or stuff that would break within 3 months. Get there and they said that they didn't apply for it and now I am stuck to pay for it myself, currently I am going to a lawyer because they're just trying to scam me at this point. All of these issues happened within the first 5 days.

Engine drives rough, tranny shifts rough, brakes are under required safety thickness, exhaust is bent/rusted out, burning smells randomly come out.. and the cherry on top is the cat failing (rotten eggs).
You didn't notice the brakes or bent/rusted exhaust before you purchased?
Old 04-26-23, 12:05 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

I didn't get a private inspection done, all things were done by Lexus
Old 04-27-23, 12:32 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Port Moody not honoring warranty! Help!

March 31 2023 is when I purchased an IS250, body looks great, the test drive was smooth and there wasn't any issue that I was aware of. Before the purchase, I asked the sales team if there was any sort of warranty that would be given to me when purchasing this vehicle. I was hit with the "All Lexus Pre-Owned vehicles come with a 90 day powertrain warranty, etc". With how immaculate this car was, they went the extra mile to secure the sale.. they promised me for 90 days, if anything broke they would fix it free of charge. And.. now.. they're attempting to retract that promise. So I come to you guys for some advice.

Within the first week.. this was brought up to their attention.

1. Burning smell cold start (not rich or lean smell)
2. Burning smell after driving on the highway
3. Only getting 350kms a tank?
4. Car shakes noticeably at low speed
5. Car brakes are making a thumping sound.
6. Trunk lights doesn’t work
7. Headlights stay on during automatic mode (suspect headlight module or door sensor)
8. Passenger airbag has a “cracking sound” when turning off the car

Second week.. Had my tires changed and my trunk latch changed out along with them saying they would "diagnose the issues". A couple of days later, got the car inspected by a different dealership, turns out the exhaust has holes in it, rusted out, bent in some areas, rotors are under req thickness, MAF sensor went, Motor mounts are shot, trunk struts are shot, possible carbon issues as well.

Third week.. They replaced the maf sensor and rotors and are now going to stop honoring their warranty.. this is where it gets interesting. The Port Moody Lexus Manager calls me to tell me that they will no longer be fixing my vehicle and "that is it".. "I will not be doing anymore warranty work for you and you're going to have to pay out of pocket if you want to fix your car". Called Lexus Canada, to which they said, my car has zero warranty, the car was sold "as-is" and that Lexus Port Moody has no documentation of any inspection done and zero R.O. on my vehicle. Sent them a few documents with them acknowledging that they would give me warranty and that if anything broke it would be on their dime.. now the dealership is trying to stall time and make me run around the place.. not taking my phone calls, etc. What would you do in this situation and any advice?
firestart9 (04-27-23)
Old 04-27-23, 02:33 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Is there a provincial body in BC like OMVIC in Ontario? Write a letter or call that body and cc the dealership your latter.

Try to be concise and write it in point form with specific dates, issues and attempts by the dealer to fix the issues. Attach the dealer's emails as evidence.

Do NOT threaten the dealer or get angry; just compile your evidence. Our provincial body always wants the consumer to work it out with the dealer before going to them.

BRB with another unrelated thread to this. I want you to see potential outcomes...
Stereo (04-27-23)
Old 04-27-23, 02:36 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Looks like this is the agency to contact: https://www.mvsabc.com/Consumer-Land...er-complaints/

Also read the FIRST and LAST pages in this thread about a Hyundai dealer: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/down...acked-2441131/

^This dude went the legal route and the dealer decided to offer him nothing. Then he got tired of the costs/process and walked away from his claim.

I am not saying to suck up to the Lexus dealer but try to approach this in a slick way if you want them to help you. Which they are not inclined to do because it eats profit.
Stereo (04-27-23)
Old 04-27-23, 07:41 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 380 Likes on 166 Posts

I wouldn't go to Open Road Lexus Port Moody, they have a bad rep locally in the Lexus community. IMO and some would disagree with me that Open Road and its dealerships have lost its good reputation of what they used to known for, now they are very greedy. I never had issues with Regency Lexus always had good and honest services there.

On top of what others have said, I would give Lexus Canada a call.
Stereo (04-27-23)
Old 04-28-23, 12:44 PM
Stereo
Driver School Candidate

Currently waiting for the VSA. But they said it could take up to two months to even solve the issue..
Old 04-28-23, 05:06 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

That's rough, which is why its easier/better to negotiate with the dealer. You'd be using the threat of VSA to urge compliance from the dealer in fixing your car.

Dealer won't ask direct or outright, but they want to know "What will it take to make you go away forever?". Is it a brake job? A new engine?

I would make a list of the exact items and email it to them. And explain the terms of your sale with THEIR paperwork attached in one email.

Again, VSA prefers that you negotiate with dealer instead of asking them for the time of day. Sucks, but them's the breaks.

Quick Reply: Lexus Port Moody not honoring warranty! Help!