IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Random electric issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 12:02 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default IS250 Random electric issue

My 250 started acted up. With the light stalk on the off position, the lights are randomly illuminating on and off. The beam flashes are intermittently working. Any ideas what can be wrong? I'm wondering a ground point but where to look?
Old 04-28-23, 02:38 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

ok so the problem is very odd. It's not just the lights, when it toggle the stalk on and off, it doesnt always trigger the relay and when it does trigger, it doesn't show on the cluster as being on. Then the locks and windows are randomly working and not working. If i fiddle with the door contact switch while doing the checks then sometimes it works. All the information on the cluster does not show. Then the dome lights are also not working. I checked all the fuses and they all are fine. I'm really confused. Can anyone advise?

I connected techstream. I couldn't connect to the combination meter and couldn't connect to the gateway. But was able to connect to the body ecu and in there i was able to toggle lights etc using the active test
Old 05-01-23, 10:35 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Any help please? I've spent days trying to see what's wrong. I've checked all ground points and all junction connectors and everything is good. Still problem persists. The engine starts and car drives good but It seems anything to do with body control electronics is all playing up. Sometimes the lights, sometimes the telescopic tilt steering, sometimes the hazards, some times the windows and locks. If I open and close the door sometimes I can hear as if the car is trying to unlock the lock even though it's already unlocked. When I turned the lights on, this does not show on the cluster. But when I open the door it shows. But some times it will show the door is open even though i've closed it. The battery is good and alternator is good too. Plus the problem persists even with the car turned off. I can come to the car to unlock it then eventually when it unlocks, if i turn on the light stalk, i have to keep toggling it and when it turns on, it doesn't even show on the cluster.

also many other things like interior dome lights don’t work. Trunk opening not working.

Any help please?

Last edited by lexus-is2; 05-01-23 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-01-23, 08:26 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
Any help please? I've spent days trying to see what's wrong. I've checked all ground points and all junction connectors and everything is good. Still problem persists. The engine starts and car drives good but It seems anything to do with body control electronics is all playing up. Sometimes the lights, sometimes the telescopic tilt steering, sometimes the hazards, some times the windows and locks. If I open and close the door sometimes I can hear as if the car is trying to unlock the lock even though it's already unlocked. When I turned the lights on, this does not show on the cluster. But when I open the door it shows. But some times it will show the door is open even though i've closed it. The battery is good and alternator is good too. Plus the problem persists even with the car turned off. I can come to the car to unlock it then eventually when it unlocks, if i turn on the light stalk, i have to keep toggling it and when it turns on, it doesn't even show on the cluster.

also many other things like interior dome lights don’t work. Trunk opening not working.

Any help please?
Any chance you have water making it to a fuse box? In the cabin?

My uncle has a 1999 F-150 its his work horse. Its pretty beat up, but it's still chugging along.

Anyhow it leaks water into the cabin, and it does similar stuff. Dome light stays on headlights come on etc....he has to disconnect his battery. Yeah hes looking into someone fixing it soon. He mentions it's leaking on the windshield seal up on the roof somewhere.
Old 05-01-23, 10:52 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Any chance you have water making it to a fuse box? In the cabin?

My uncle has a 1999 F-150 its his work horse. Its pretty beat up, but it's still chugging along.

Anyhow it leaks water into the cabin, and it does similar stuff. Dome light stays on headlights come on etc....he has to disconnect his battery. Yeah hes looking into someone fixing it soon. He mentions it's leaking on the windshield seal up on the roof somewhere.
I inspected all interior fuse boxes and engine bay ones and all seem perfectly dry and free from any corrosion
The following users liked this post:
MikeFig82 (05-01-23)
Old 02-05-24, 10:03 AM
Is250sjc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
I inspected all interior fuse boxes and engine bay ones and all seem perfectly dry and free from any corrosion
Hi did you ever figure this out? My car high beams randomly flicker when car is off and gauge brightness was wonky before I couldn't unlock and lock the car anymore