IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Misfires Knocking Noises Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 09:52 AM
Armandojavierl
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Misfires Knocking Noises Limp mode

Hey guys, i just got this Lexus is 350 2008 from someone who said it had a "fuel related problem" and it was on "limp mode". They said they replace all spark plugs, coils and fuel pressure sensor. They didn't touch the fuel pump inside the tank or the high pressure fuel pump in the front. Codes are P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too low - P0365 Camshaft position sensor B Circuit. And a Random multiple cylinder misfire comes and goes.
The car has a big misfire, i change the fuel pump and the car is "better" is stays idling without shutting off but the misfire its still there and i also change both camshaft position sensors and the misfires and the camshaft code its still coming back. Before i change the fuel filter or the high pressure pump at front, i want it to get opinions from people that had experience with this car, i never had one in the past but always wanted and i finally got my hands on one ( a really tricky one ).
Some more details, engine sounds horrible, im pretty sure there's some knocking somewhere but i was just hoping it was part of the big misfire and not enough fuel getting into the cylinder that was making that sound. When i got the car home i check a few things and one of those was the oil, it was completely soaked with fuel (yeah i know) i change it and engine noise got quieter but not enough obviously, i was trying to figure out the misfire with the fuel and camshaft sensor problem before i dig into what needs to be replaced inside of the engine. Theres a hard loud knocking noise coming from the top right side of the engine ( driver side) but somehow the passenger side its quieter and im hoping i just need to replaced the cylinder head before any more damaged is done because of the mix of fuel-oil.
Also the car will stay on with the new fuel pump and idle with a rough misfire and if i put it in gear (reverse or drive or manual shift mode) it will die, i have to keep giving it gas so it will move but if i stop it turns off. i change the oil obviously and theres a few serious amount of metal shavings in it lol. My option right now is probably swaping the engine but im trying to avoid that if its possible.
I can send dms with videos to whoever wants to help and see what it sounds like.
Old 05-30-23, 11:12 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Armandojavierl
Hey guys, i just got this Lexus is 350 2008 from someone who said it had a "fuel related problem" and it was on "limp mode". They said they replace all spark plugs, coils and fuel pressure sensor. They didn't touch the fuel pump inside the tank or the high pressure fuel pump in the front. Codes are P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too low - P0365 Camshaft position sensor B Circuit. And a Random multiple cylinder misfire comes and goes.
The car has a big misfire, i change the fuel pump and the car is "better" is stays idling without shutting off but the misfire its still there and i also change both camshaft position sensors and the misfires and the camshaft code its still coming back. Before i change the fuel filter or the high pressure pump at front, i want it to get opinions from people that had experience with this car, i never had one in the past but always wanted and i finally got my hands on one ( a really tricky one ).
Some more details, engine sounds horrible, im pretty sure there's some knocking somewhere but i was just hoping it was part of the big misfire and not enough fuel getting into the cylinder that was making that sound. When i got the car home i check a few things and one of those was the oil, it was completely soaked with fuel (yeah i know) i change it and engine noise got quieter but not enough obviously, i was trying to figure out the misfire with the fuel and camshaft sensor problem before i dig into what needs to be replaced inside of the engine. Theres a hard loud knocking noise coming from the top right side of the engine ( driver side) but somehow the passenger side its quieter and im hoping i just need to replaced the cylinder head before any more damaged is done because of the mix of fuel-oil.
Also the car will stay on with the new fuel pump and idle with a rough misfire and if i put it in gear (reverse or drive or manual shift mode) it will die, i have to keep giving it gas so it will move but if i stop it turns off. i change the oil obviously and theres a few serious amount of metal shavings in it lol. My option right now is probably swaping the engine but im trying to avoid that if its possible.
I can send dms with videos to whoever wants to help and see what it sounds like.
That sounds ruff. Since you pulled shavings on an oil change not good either.

One thing you can check is a clogged oil control valve filter. If you look at both heads front. You will see a banjo bolt. Unbolt the bolts, and check for metal shavings. I'm assuming there is blockage there. See pic below for reference. Facing the engine it will be one banjo bolt on each side.