IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Great score or money pit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 02:15 AM
408Calafia
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great score or money pit?

This is my first post so First, thanks for sharing your knowledge with your contributions. If not for forums like these or YouTube videos, id be dead in the water without a vehicle because I'm far from a mechanic and have mastered what skills I do have with trial and error, and suggestions like y'alls.

Found a 2006 is350 I paid 2700 for. It runs and shifts good and I've been driving it for 2 days now, but the only thing is that it was in some kind of accident that took out the power steering (maybe?), and at first glance damaged the strut. It's a bit turbulent on the freeway, which can be attributed to the front right rim likely being bent (I put the spare on and feel it drove a lot smoother.

So I understand there is much more info you'd have to know to provide an accurate answer, but GENERALLY, if one were to be taking a left turn at high speed and then hit a curb to the front right, hard enough to damage the strut and blow a tire, what are some things that would take out the ABS, Traction control, power steering, but leave seemingly no damage to outer body

Like I said I don't need precise answers, simply a starting point for me to begin throwing money at what may be my favorite car I've owned to date (out of like 7 or 8 cars
Old 07-03-23, 08:44 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by 408Calafia
This is my first post so First, thanks for sharing your knowledge with your contributions. If not for forums like these or YouTube videos, id be dead in the water without a vehicle because I'm far from a mechanic and have mastered what skills I do have with trial and error, and suggestions like y'alls.

Found a 2006 is350 I paid 2700 for. It runs and shifts good and I've been driving it for 2 days now, but the only thing is that it was in some kind of accident that took out the power steering (maybe?), and at first glance damaged the strut. It's a bit turbulent on the freeway, which can be attributed to the front right rim likely being bent (I put the spare on and feel it drove a lot smoother.

So I understand there is much more info you'd have to know to provide an accurate answer, but GENERALLY, if one were to be taking a left turn at high speed and then hit a curb to the front right, hard enough to damage the strut and blow a tire, what are some things that would take out the ABS, Traction control, power steering, but leave seemingly no damage to outer body

Like I said I don't need precise answers, simply a starting point for me to begin throwing money at what may be my favorite car I've owned to date (out of like 7 or 8 cars
I'd start at checking for play on the wheel while off the ground. As for the damaged parts start there first. A bad wheel bearing will howl or grind while driving. Check for leaking ball joint boots, and axel bellows
Old 07-03-23, 12:22 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

I curbed the front right rim on my Celica and it also made the shock leak. That was the only damage as far as I know. So you could be OK.

Good luck & enjoy!