Transmission drain and fill made it worse ? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 10:05 AM
MikeBoyIS
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission drain and fill made it worse ? Need advice

Hello Club Lexus community.

Been a "ghost" user since the purchase of my 2006 2IS 250 reading all kind of topics to maintain this car, had some really good advices so I might post my personal experience about drain and fills on overdue transmission maintenance.
I did a drain and fill for the first time at 194000 kilometers (not miles), I'm 99% sure the fluid was never changed, the transmission was shifting kinda "ok", just felt kinda jerky at cold weather randomly but that's all.
I drained a total of 2.6 LITERS after tilting the car backwards (didn't put it on 4 jack stands as I don't have the space in my garage to lift from behind on level surface), the fluid was BLACK and smelled like used oil, not a burned like smell like I read somewhere a burnt transmission fluid smells like burned popcorn.
I didn't changed the filter, I didn't open the transmission pan at all.
I added EXACTLY 2.6 LITERS back inside, I used the MANNOL ATF WS that is Toyota compliant for 5 to 6 speed automatic transmission for Toyota cars from 2005 to later. I used gravity to fill it up thanks to the tips of a user that made a topic, forgot his name
I didn't do the check level procedure as I couldn't have the car level safely elsewhere and had no space in my garage, plus I didn't have techstream at the time.

The car felt really really smooth at first. 500 kilometers later, the shifting felt janky randomly at 4 to 5, I didn't really cared as I told myself the transmission is old.
Today I got concerned, at every stop, going from 1 to 2 makes a HARD JERK and the car kinda lose its pace while shifting, it does it while warm, on warm weather and it does it everytime now, I went home directly as I got concerned about damaging the transmission, the jerk wasn't happening at all on 1 to 2 before

Some info for the context : Past 2 weeks ive been doing really short travels with the car, city only, no highway, the car was previously used for only long trips (1:30 hour minimum on highway and never city trips), could it be by any chance carbon build up ? (I do have an oil catch can installed thanks to the users of this forum)
Other new symptom I had after the drain and fill : using the engine brake (no acceleration and losing speed on the 1200 RPM mark) kinda makes the car lose a lot of pace, like I applied a bit of brake, while before the car was cruising without losing any speed, as the opposite of a manual transmission.
Should I check the level of the transmission ? Maybe I do have a leak ? Should I do another drain and fill ? Change filter ?
Im gonna plug techstream to see if I got any codes, no check engine light was there at all.
I told myself maybe its engine mounts or tranny mount, I checked the engine mount few days back by braking hard and accelerating and have someone check, the engine doesn't move a lot like a broken engine mount but couldnt check the tranny mount.

Cannot see if I'm leaking without lifting the car as I still have all the plastic covers on the bottom of the car, a little detail I saw while draining the fluid is the foam inside the cover of the fill bolt was kinda "wet" and used, like some liquid got into contact.

I'm not gonna take it to the stealership as any OEM parts they trying to sell me is 3 times the price I can get them and the labor is 110€ the hour, if I can fix it myself I will, just kinda try the best bang for a buck things to try to solve this, I'm scared to drive it again and do damage to my tranny, I guess I gotta check the transmission fluid level first.

Thanks for any help !
Old 07-31-23, 10:25 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Try to reset the ECU along with the ETCS system. It might not help, but I'd try that first to reset all the transmission learning. Also use the fuse method and leave them out about 2 minutes.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...our-ecu-363500
Old 07-31-23, 10:33 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

You may have a bad shift solenoid. A code scanner that reads transmission codes may help ID the problem. Yes, check the fluid level properly to make sure it is properly set but I doubt that is the cause, otherwise, you’d have shifting issues across all gears.
Old 07-31-23, 10:36 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I think your drain refill level is off, bleed was a problem, and also air in the system. That temp level check is important.
Old 07-31-23, 11:07 AM
MikeBoyIS
6th Gear

Thanks for your answer guys, I pulled the P0172 and P0175 codes at the same time with techstream, along with some C codes that says high power etc.. to the ECU (maybe its telling me ECU is dying ? dunno), without CEL, strange, I doubt its a bank sensor (I changed one sucessfully last year and it fixed my issue)

I just read someone with the same code had rough shifting, went to clean the MAF sensor with dedicated product, I did it last year, I doubt it is already dirty but I might try this, next i'll check the air filter (I checked it couple miles ago and vacuumed it...), after installing the MAF Sensor I guess I should reset the ECU (I didn't last year), I will try the fuse one, didn't know about this one thanks !
Tomorrow if I got time I will check the level of fluid after test driving it with clean MAF sensor and checked air filter. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-23, 12:37 AM
MikeBoyIS
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeBoyIS
Thanks for your answer guys, I pulled the P0172 and P0175 codes at the same time with techstream, along with some C codes that says high power etc.. to the ECU (maybe its telling me ECU is dying ? dunno), without CEL, strange, I doubt its a bank sensor (I changed one sucessfully last year and it fixed my issue)

I just read someone with the same code had rough shifting, went to clean the MAF sensor with dedicated product, I did it last year, I doubt it is already dirty but I might try this, next i'll check the air filter (I checked it couple miles ago and vacuumed it...), after installing the MAF Sensor I guess I should reset the ECU (I didn't last year), I will try the fuse one, didn't know about this one thanks !
Tomorrow if I got time I will check the level of fluid after test driving it with clean MAF sensor and checked air filter. Thanks guys.

UPDATE : So it looks like it wasnt a transmission issue at all, after cleaning the MAF and resetting ECU with fuses like Mike told me, the car feels to have more power, isn't janky at all while shifting and there is no more jerk at all at first to second, I'm glad its just a matter of MAF sensor, I will buy a brand new OEM one in the few days as it was already cleaned the past year and I feel like it's going (car is 17 years old ! )

So to all of you guys that have P0172 and P0175 code, feels hard shifts and car kinda lost its power (I didn't felt it because I drive this car like 1 time a week / 1 time every 2 weeks, I do have a job car I can bring home) clean your maf sensor and reset your ECU before engaging yourself into expensive things !

I will update this post if I get other symptoms and if they come back.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeBoyIS:
Beamish (08-01-23), mandyfig (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 11:12 AM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

had the same problem, its the MAF sensor connection. Make sure sure to clean the pins.
Old 08-01-23, 02:44 PM
JulezLexx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s funny I also have P0172 system too rich bank 1, so I’m assuming to clean the MAF sensor and reset the ECU. Hopefully that also fixes my loss of power feeling?
side note I have F sport intake and it used to sound pretty loud, but now it’s pretty low. I’ve cleaned it before fyi