IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

5th and 6th gear transmission shake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 01:10 PM
Letxen3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th and 6th gear transmission shake?

Hello i have an automatic 2008 Lexus IS250 RWD purchased certified used in 2013 with 55k miles. It now has 167k miles. This happens Randomly but when it does when shifting into 5th and 6th gear only the car does a vibration for a few seconds and then goes away. You can give it gas and get thru it and eventually stops or you can let off the gas and it stops and then you give gas again and you can drive normally. Happens in hot or normal weather. I’m located in south FL. Any suggestions? I’m thinking maybe a transmission fluid drain and fill, or would a flush be better? I do most the common maintenance myself but I have not changed the transmission fluid for sure.
Old 08-20-23, 12:09 AM
coolrydz
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Letxen3
Hello i have an automatic 2008 Lexus IS250 RWD purchased certified used in 2013 with 55k miles. It now has 167k miles. This happens Randomly but when it does when shifting into 5th and 6th gear only the car does a vibration for a few seconds and then goes away. You can give it gas and get thru it and eventually stops or you can let off the gas and it stops and then you give gas again and you can drive normally. Happens in hot or normal weather. I’m located in south FL. Any suggestions? I’m thinking maybe a transmission fluid drain and fill, or would a flush be better? I do most the common maintenance myself but I have not changed the transmission fluid for sure.
Hi there,
You should consider replacing the transmission strainer and fresh oil
The following users liked this post:
Mitho1991 (04-27-24)
Old 08-24-23, 07:26 AM
Letxen3
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolrydz
Hi there,
You should consider replacing the transmission strainer and fresh oil
"strainer" do you mean the filter?
Old 08-27-23, 04:33 AM
Cienfueg69
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First see this video

Old 08-28-23, 10:45 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

I doubt this is transmission related but at 170k, it should have had several drain and fills that involve pulling the pan and dumping the fluid.

Please stop in at local parts store and have them scan it for pending codes. I bet you have misfire codes.

250's are known to carbon carbon up the intake and this is one of those signs. What is the service history, plugs, MAF, air filter, OCI?
Old 08-28-23, 11:32 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Something I didn't say is why? The higher gears induce greater load on the engine, the increased load includes the transmission going into torque converter lock up (no sliping) and if things are not ideal, the engine shakes making the car shake.
Old 08-29-23, 04:43 AM
Letxen3
Rookie

my old scanner doesn't show any misfire codes and im planning on buying a better one (autel maxicom mk808). the car when it was under warranty at 58,580 miles Nov. 2013 dealer replaced the pistons and plugs due to the carbon build up. and at that time the symptom was when coming to a stop it would shake and misfire if i recall. air filter is k&n i clean every year. MAF is original and i clean also often. not sure what is OCI? thats all i have not done any thing else. only things that have gone is the fuel pump and the alternator its been a great reliable car. i do have it in mind to do new plugs my self and take a look at the intake and see if it has alot of build up but i didnt think about if this issue was carbon build up related but thanks i will try to put this on my list to verify. i got the trans fluid and rear diff. fluids im going to get on that asap. then ill check the plugs and intake and valves etc.
Old 08-29-23, 04:45 AM
Letxen3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cienfueg69
First see this video
thanks i have seen a couple of his videos already i don't think I've seen this one but i will appreciate it.
Old 08-29-23, 04:52 AM
Letxen3
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Something I didn't say is why? The higher gears induce greater load on the engine, the increased load includes the transmission going into torque converter lock up (no sliping) and if things are not ideal, the engine shakes making the car shake.
noted thanks. its just weird how it only does this when changing gears from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6. the car runs so smooth and idles nice. and this happens while going normal speed. but as you said i will double check engine. this was my thing at first i didn't know if it was engine related or transmission. the shake you can feel it in your seat like its coming from engine to under you.
Old 08-29-23, 10:36 PM
Cienfueg69
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a VCi cable for diagnosis

Para Toyota mini vci TIS Techstream V15.00.028 minivci FTDI para J2534 OBD OBD2 de diagnóstico del coche Auto escáner herramienta MINI-VCI Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EzYaDVv
Old 09-11-23, 10:04 AM
Letxen3
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
250's are known to carbon carbon up the intake and this is one of those signs.
so this weekend the shaking has been more frequent. also while in 6th gear its been doing it random. as i said before it was always after the shift to 5 and 6th gear. but now its doing it while cruising in 6th gear. im going to add some seafoam treatment to thru the intake and see and then do the plugs and get a look at to see if its bad with carbon build up again.
Old 10-31-23, 10:48 AM
Letxen3
Rookie

so after all these months of the shaking the ECU finally thru a code P2757 "Torque Converter clutch pressure control solenoid circuit performance or stuck in off position." the shaking had gotten a lot worst in the last few months. also when the code came up, pass 50mph the car would shake and not stop unlike before where it would shaking going into 5th gear and 6th but then it would settle.

Old 10-31-23, 01:58 PM
Zestra
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting, having nearly the same identical problem......... were just not getting the codes, so this might help me as well! let me know how it goes with the fix!
Old 11-06-23, 08:21 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Funny, even the pros didn't comment about the possibility that the issue might not be trans-related, that it could be a bent wheel causing feedback at certain MPHs. The trans codes COULD be unrelated. If the feedback you receive stays you at a certain MPH range no matter the gear you're in (test this by forcing the trans to stay in a specific gear via "manual mode"), then it's more likely to be a best wheel.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-23, 10:15 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

so after all these months of the shaking the ECU finally thru a code P2757 "Torque Converter clutch pressure control solenoid circuit performance or stuck in off position." the shaking had gotten a lot worst in the last few months. also when the code came up, pass 50mph the car would shake and not stop unlike before where it would shaking going into 5th gear and 6th but then it would settle.

Well, sh/t, I didn't see that coming. In fact I worked at a transmission shop rebuilding them and can say I've never seen a converter cause a shake. My best guess is the failure mode has it going in and out of lockup repeatedly unless it shed clutch material and is actually out of balance which should make it shake always.

I'd pull the pan and open the filter looking for material that doesn't belong. Also, many make the assumption that codes pointing at shift, lockup, and pressure control solenoids mean those solenoids are bad. That may or may not be true. What is does mean is they need tested to verify function. If they are good, that means the fault lies elsewhere.

Has this ever had the fluid changed?

Quick Reply: 5th and 6th gear transmission shake?