IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why is coolant spraying all over my engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-23, 11:41 AM
ObsidianLex
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Why is coolant spraying all over my engine bay?

Does anyone have any clue why coolant would be spraying all over my engine bay (2GR-FSE)? I'll clean up the coolant and the next time I check it a few drives later it looks the same as the pictures included.

Just hit 100k miles, coolant in the overflow tank is right at half full, and it has never gone above halfway on the temp gauge. I also cleaned the overflow cap and small hoses attached to ensure they weren't clogged. I do tend to "open it up" a decent bit every now and then but it never displays a loss of power or anything.

I couldn't find much else out there regarding this issue so i'm curious if anyone else has had this problem or what a potential solution would be! Any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ObsidianLex; 09-03-23 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 11:56 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Is it from the reservoir cap or out of the radiator?

That cap can be installed backwards to which would cause this issue abs the reservoir level would never change.

Verify the hose that goes to the bottom bottom of the reservoir also connects to the engine block. This can get reversed, and if reversed, the engine will not remain full of coolant.
Old 09-03-23, 01:27 PM
ObsidianLex
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears to be coming from the reservoir cap. I checked and it also looks like it's installed correctly (first picture), with all hoses in good condition and not visibly leaking - although the system isn't under pressure.

I'm wondering if there's some tiny crack in a hose or potentially the reservoir that's only noticeable under pressure? Then again, not sure why it would crust up around the cap if that was the case.
Old 09-04-23, 08:52 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianLex
It appears to be coming from the reservoir cap. I checked and it also looks like it's installed correctly (first picture), with all hoses in good condition and not visibly leaking - although the system isn't under pressure.

I'm wondering if there's some tiny crack in a hose or potentially the reservoir that's only noticeable under pressure? Then again, not sure why it would crust up around the cap if that was the case.
Did you verify the tube from the engine and is actually connected to the tube at the bottom of the reservoir? People have been known to reverse then.

The reservoir is never under pressure. That's not how it works.
Old 09-06-23, 02:32 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianLex
Does anyone have any clue why coolant would be spraying all over my engine bay (2GR-FSE)? I'll clean up the coolant and the next time I check it a few drives later it looks the same as the pictures included.

Just hit 100k miles, coolant in the overflow tank is right at half full, and it has never gone above halfway on the temp gauge. I also cleaned the overflow cap and small hoses attached to ensure they weren't clogged. I do tend to "open it up" a decent bit every now and then but it never displays a loss of power or anything.

I couldn't find much else out there regarding this issue so i'm curious if anyone else has had this problem or what a potential solution would be! Any and all help would be appreciated.

It almost looks like it's spraying from the upper radiator hose on the rad. Like mentioned by FSPORT is there a siphoning hose inside the reservoir? That hose should always be submerged. There was a thread sometime back where the part was actually melted at the cap on the underside.