IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Still trying to figure out what went wrong with my tranny (if anything).

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 06:40 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Still trying to figure out what went wrong with my tranny (if anything).

I have some previous posts related to this topic but I think i should start from scratch and give the full details of what happened.

I was driving my car one day a few weeks ago. I had rolled to a stop at an intersection waiting for a car to pass then pressed the accelerator (not even 50% throttle) and i heard a bang. i was right by my house and so i just parked it right then and there. Later i got in it and went to drive it to right in front of my house. Going slow all seemed to be ok but at one point during a turn i heard some noise and decided it was best just to park it. When I did park it it was on a bit of a hill and noticed my car was rolling backwards while in park.

I got it towed to Lexus and they said that i had a neutral safety switch code but on top of that my passenger side cv shaft was coming out of my oil pan (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-oil-pan.html)

lexus insisted that the neutral safety switch was causing the shifting issue, which left me with little faith in their honesty. they also said i needed to replace my upper oil pan because of the leak. They insisted a little crack was causing a leak and not the fact that the f'ing bearing was pushed out pretty much all the way.

So i just said no thanks i'll take it back.

Fast forward a week. I took it to a place down my street that i know does honest work and they saw the rolling while parked issue but they looked at the cv shaft and saw the clip is missing but that the bearing is back seated. When they took it for a test drive they said they cant see a thing wrong (other then the neutral safety switch). When i took it home i didn't see any issues either (granted i drove it a lot nicer then i'm pretty sure they did judging from the gas usage during their test drive lol). Another thing in question is my parking crawl seems to be working currently. its sitting on a incline currently and its not moving nor can I push it like i was able to when i first sent it to lexus.

So now i'm left with a car whose axle shaft came out apparently but is now back in and what seems to be an intermittent parking crawl.

Where do i go from here?

Can a neutral safety switch really cause shifting issues??? (as far as i know, the function of those is just to verify the car is parked/neutral so the car can be started safely)

Should i have the transfer case fluid looked at?

If the bang was the parking crawl what caused it to engage?? i was in drive the whole time?

Does the tranny need to be looked at or opened up?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Alternet; 09-19-23 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-19-23, 07:16 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Alternet
I have some previous posts related to this topic but I think i should start from scratch and give the full details of what happened.

I was driving my car one day a few weeks ago. I had rolled to a stop at an intersection waiting for a car to pass then pressed the accelerator (not even 50% throttle) and i heard a bang. i was right by my house and so i just parked it right then and there. Later i got in it and drive to drive it to right in front of my house and going slow all seemed to be ok but at one point during a turn i heard some noise and decided it was best just to park it. When did park it it was on a bit of a hill and noticed my car was rolling backwards in while in park.

got it towed to Lexus and they said that i had a neutral safety switch code but on top of that my passenger side cv shaft was coming out of my oil pan (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-oil-pan.html)

lexus insisted that the neutral safety switch was causing the shifting issue, to which leaves me with little faith in their honesty. they also said i needed to replay my upper oil pan because of the leak insisted a little crack was causing a leak and not the fact that the f'ing bearing was pushed out pretty much all the way.

So i just said no thanks i'll take it back.

Fast forward i took it to a place down my street that i know does honest work and they saw the rolling while parked issue but they looked at the cv shaft and saw the clip is missing but that the bearing is back seated. When they took it for a test drive they said they cant see a thing wrong (other then the neutral safety switch). When i took it home i didn't see any issues either (granted i drove it a lot nicer then i'm pretty sure they did judging from the gas usage during their test drive lol). Another thing in question is my parking crawl seems to be working currently. its sitting on a incline currently and its not moving nor can push it like i was able to when i first sent it to lexus.

So now i'm left with a car whose axle shaft came out apparently but is now back in and what seems to be an intermittent parking crawl.

Where do i go from here?

Can a neutral safety switch really cause shifting issues??? (as far as i know, the function of those is just to verify the car is parked/neutral so the car can be started safely)

Should i have the transfer case fluid looked at?

If the bang was the parking crawl what caused it to engage?? i was in drive the whole time?

Does the tranny need to be looked at or opened up?

Any other thoughts?
If the P R N D indicator lights work and the gears function, the switch and lever to the trans are likely fine and it was mis diagnosed. Let the notion go.

I really need to know more about the AWD transfer case, but most are open and not lockers so the front and rear drive shafts distribute power to the end with traction. Think in terms of the front or rear differential, power goes in, and is split to left and right sides, if one side has no traction, you can easily be stuck as all energy goes to tire with the least traction. In your case, zero connection to the tire.

Meaning, your open transfer case does not lock the front and rear drive shafts together and as such, if a drive axle comes out like yours did, it allows the vehicle to move while in park and not propel itself when powered. Through friction it will try and move but not well. Like 95% slippage.

Some transfer cases allow a percentage of power delivery for different conditions and its controlled electronicaly. I don't think this has that but idk.

If the keeper is in place, and all that is okay, they should have drained and filled the front differential gear oil to get debris out and verify it is filled to level. If they didn't, you could burn up the front diff if low on oil after the axle came out.

Please detail the repairs made, parts, labor, oil...

Last edited by 2013FSport; 09-19-23 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-19-23, 07:36 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
If the P R N D indicator lights work and the gears function, the switch and lever to the trans are likely fine and it was mis diagnosed. Let the notion go.

I really need to know more about the AWD transfer case, but most are open and not lockers so the front and rear drive shafts distribute power to the end with traction. Think in terms of the front or rear differential, power goes in, and is split to left and right sides, if one side has no traction, you can easily be stuck as all energy goes to tire with the least traction. In your case, zero connection to the tire.

Meaning, your open transfer case does not lock the front and rear drive shafts together and as such, if a drive axle comes out like yours did, it allows the vehicle to move while in park and not propel itself when powered. Through friction it will try and move but not well. Like 95% slippage.

Some transfer cases allow a percentage of power delivery for different conditions and its controlled electronicaly. I don't think this has that but idk.

If the keeper is in place, and all that is okay, they should have drained and filled the front differential gear oil to get debris out and verify it is filled to level. If they didn't, you could burn up the front diff if low on oil after the axle came out.

Please detail the repairs made, parts, labor, oil...
No repairs made as of yet. Lexus didn't do anything but basically try to get me to fix things that didn't need fixing. And the next place i took it to just verified that the retaining clip is missing but that the bearing is some how back in... and that they didn't see anything wrong with how the car was driving.

i'm not sure if by lexus raising the car by the frame (which they did as i saw a picture) allowed the driveline to hang, thereby letting the bearing come out freely. The other shop possibly raised it by the tires (which i don't know) and kept the pressure on the driveline, keeping the bearing in place... other then that i don't know how the bearing got back in place.

Old 09-20-23, 01:58 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Alternet
No repairs made as of yet. Lexus didn't do anything but basically try to get me to fix things that didn't need fixing. And the next place i took it to just verified that the retaining clip is missing but that the bearing is some how back in... and that they didn't see anything wrong with how the car was driving.

i'm not sure if by lexus raising the car by the frame (which they did as i saw a picture) allowed the driveline to hang, thereby letting the bearing come out freely. The other shop possibly raised it by the tires (which i don't know) and kept the pressure on the driveline, keeping the bearing in place... other then that i don't know how the bearing got back in place.
At a bare minimum order the retainer snapring and get that installed and check the fluid in the front diff.

I would not drive until these two are done. Assuming snap ring will stay that is.
Old 09-21-23, 05:56 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
At a bare minimum order the retainer snapring and get that installed and check the fluid in the front diff.

I would not drive until these two are done. Assuming snap ring will stay that is.
That's the plan currently. not sure if i should get the fluid in the tranny replaced though... just in case kind of thing
Old 10-03-23, 07:02 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

I just wanted to put in an update in case it ever comes in handy for someone else.

car is driving again and seems to be fine so far.

Work done:

New snap ring retainer and bearing bought and installed. The seal that the cv shaft goes through as it enters the transfer case did not get replaced because you need to take off the transfer case to replace it. So i'm just watching for any leaks for the next little bit but so far nothing. The cv shaft was taken completely out and there was a little damage to the very tip of the spline. The shop cleaned it up and said it wasn't needing to be replaced. the transfer fluid was drained and replaced.

Been driving it for a week now and haven't seen any problems. Hopefully that is the last of this issue. This whole break down was the result of the snap ring either not being installed after a cv replacement or popping out some how and the bearing retaining bolt working its way out over time. This allowed the cv shaft to work its way out.
Old 10-03-23, 09:38 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Just to clarify it's not the transfer case, but the front differential?

The transfer case is one with the transmission on the AWD. As where the front and rear diff's use hypoid gear oil.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10319487

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (10-03-23)
Old 10-03-23, 10:12 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Just to clarify it's not the transfer case, but the front differential?

The transfer case is one with the transmission on the AWD. As where the front and rear diff's use hypoid gear oil.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10319487

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html
yes. sorry my bad. was just typing up fast and botched it