IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions regarding DEPO V2s

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 06:34 AM
Quaadzz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding DEPO V2s

Hey everyone. I recently purchased the depo v2 headlights through USR and am having some issues.
(https://www.uniquestyleracingstore.com/products/2006-2013-lexus-is250-is350-led-strip-drl-jdm-black-projector-headlight-usr-exclusive)

my issue is that after installing and wiring the DRL harness with inline fuse to my battery. After about a week or two the car struggles to start. I replaced the battery terminal yet my mechanic seems to want to put the blame on the line running direct to the battery. Does this make sense?

im looking for anyone who’s had experience with these headlights to point me in the correct direction to configure the DRL strip to function as the OEM “DRLs” do.. I’m unsure how to go about this. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-23, 09:57 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about these lights... but in general you usually want to connect things to switched power so they do not keep pulling power while the car is off.
Old 10-04-23, 10:57 AM
Quaadzz
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Alternet
I don't know about these lights... but in general you usually want to connect things to switched power so they do not keep pulling power while the car is off.
what does switched power mean? This is the layout it’s currently on. The part labeled “to power the DRL” is direct to the battery.

Old 10-04-23, 11:17 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

I don't know where it says to connect that directly to the battery, but general circuit practice for automotive is to connect circuits to a "switched power source". That means connecting to a power source that is energized by way of a switch/relay. In a cars case for DRL's i would be looking to connect to a power source that is only energized/"on" when the ignition is on.

In most cases you don't hook up anything directly to the battery unless it has an internal switched power so that it doesn't stay powered 24/7 and only when the car ignition is on.

Originally Posted by Quaadzz
what does switched power mean? This is the layout it’s currently on. The part labeled “to power the DRL” is direct to the battery.
Old 10-04-23, 11:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

You need to be able to turn the headlights on regardless if the car is on/running or not. If possible measure total current draw when the car is off. Disconnect the headlights and see if it changes.
Old 10-04-23, 11:49 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You need to be able to turn the headlights on regardless if the car is on/running or not. If possible measure total current draw when the car is off. Disconnect the headlights and see if it changes.
Correct me if i'm wrong but Day time running lights do not turn on if the car is off. you can turn on head lights (high and lows) but your DRL do not come on with the car off... or am i mistaken on that??

Drl's to my knowledge are a switched circuit. You can leave your high or low beams on but you can not leave DRL's on.

Last edited by Alternet; 10-04-23 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 11:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Correct me if i'm wrong but Day time running lights do not turn on if the car is off. you can turn on head lights (high and lows) but your DRL do not come on with the car off... or am i mistaken on that??
You are correct. I would hope the headlight is smart enough to not have parasitic draw but maybe not that's why I suggested measuring current at the battery when the car is asleep. If giving the headlight switched power was necessary I would expect the headlight manufacturer to at least mention this.

But you never know with aftermarket.
Old 10-04-23, 05:17 PM
Quaadzz
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
total current draw from what exactly?
Old 10-04-23, 05:18 PM
Quaadzz
5th Gear

I don't know where it says to connect that directly to the battery, but general circuit practice for automotive is to connect circuits to a "switched power source". That means connecting to a power source that is energized by way of a switch/relay. In a cars case for DRL's i would be looking to connect to a power source that is only energized/"on" when the ignition is on.

In most cases you don't hook up anything directly to the battery unless it has an internal switched power so that it doesn't stay powered 24/7 and only when the car ignition is on.
the instruction for the headlights said that the harness I sent to you goes directly to the battery. That line has a fuse in it
Old 10-04-23, 06:25 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 264 Posts

Ask your mechanic to load test the battery

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wer-drain.html

Old 10-05-23, 06:49 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Quaadzz
the instruction for the headlights said that the harness I sent to you goes directly to the battery. That line has a fuse in it
Well my diagnostic steps would be:

1) do a current draw with your car off with the drl wire not connected.
2) do a current draw with your car off but the drl wire connected. (making sure to turn on the car and then off after the drl wire is connected, in case its a switching issue. waiting 5 mins after the car is shut off. and dont have your keys near the car)

If you notice a higher current draw then you know its the drl wire

For me personally if i bought those lights and the instructions told me to run it right to the battery, i would have ignored that and run it to a circuit that's "hot" only when ignition is on.

Also if you are going to do the current draw please remember to make sure your multimeter is hooked up in parallel with the negative terminal before you disconnect it, so your car doesn't loose power. If you disconnect the battery first then we can get all sorts of weird current draws as some computers go through a lot of self checks. I know at least a few toyota's do this and i would expect lexus stuff to be the same. (for example if you disconnect a battery on a 07+ toyota camry and then reconnect it again a few sub systems will come on and stay hot for 15 mins despite the car being off)

Old 10-05-23, 10:11 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Here's Vlands install instructions:

https://vlandshop.com/blog/installat...50-headlights/

Op's setup:

https://www.uniquestyleracingstore.c...-usr-exclusive

Iike mentioned above in previous comments. Just find a fuse hot while ignition on, and off when off maybe?

I'm no Electrical guru. Feel free to correct me. I'm up for always learning new things.

Again OP nice find I may upgrade my IS250 with these from VipMoto's

Last edited by MikeFig82; 10-05-23 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-06-23, 05:55 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

I'm not sure which manufacturer they are referring to... when i first read that, it sounded like they are saying the car maker has a wire for the DRL and it runs to the battery. But when i read it a 2nd time i'm not sure if they were talking about the light manufacturer.

Either way though you should do or have the diagnostics steps mentioned above done. For all any of us know the DRL wire should be connected to the battery but something that should be switching in the headlight controls is not and so its constantly powered because its faulty.

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Here's Vlands install instructions:

https://vlandshop.com/blog/installat...50-headlights/

Op's setup:

https://www.uniquestyleracingstore.c...-usr-exclusive

Iike mentioned above in previous comments. Just find a fuse hot while ignition on, and off when off maybe?

I'm no Electrical guru. Feel free to correct me. I'm up for always learning new things.

Again OP nice find I may upgrade my IS250 with these from VipMoto's