IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

08 Lexus IS - lost key, reset smart box and now no key will program

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 11:23 AM
Halat
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Lexus IS - lost key, reset smart box and now no key will program

Hello, im hoping for some help here! I lost the key fob to my 2008 lexus is250 so i ordered a new key tried to get 3 different lock smiths to program a new key but no luck, they did a smart box reset to erase old key. I ended up taking it to the Lexus dealership and they told me the smart box ecu and id box (immobilizer) need to be replaced but its very costly. Any one have any input on this? Thank you
Old 12-01-23, 06:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Halat
Hello, im hoping for some help here! I lost the key fob to my 2008 lexus is250 so i ordered a new key tried to get 3 different lock smiths to program a new key but no luck, they did a smart box reset to erase old key. I ended up taking it to the Lexus dealership and they told me the smart box ecu and id box (immobilizer) need to be replaced but its very costly. Any one have any input on this? Thank you

As I know it, not having a spare key for this car has you at the mercy of new parts. Do some searching on here and other forums on CL, and yt and I believe you'll get the same result, although I encourage you to do some homework.

Search for 'immobilizer' here and at least the 2nd Gen GS. That platform is most like ours but honestly this is a Toyota smart key issue.
Old 12-06-23, 01:04 AM
Cienfueg69
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dot need to do it. There is a way to duplicate a key. There is a device emulates te original key to create a coppy
Old 12-11-23, 03:16 PM
Lexura16
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what happened when my wife lost her key fob to our 2016 Lexus NX200T two summers ago. $ 460.00 later at the dealership we got her a new key fob. Reprogrammed mine to match her new one so whoever picked/found her previous one cannot spirit away our car. Found out prior to dealership visit that ONLY Toyota/Lexus dealership can program their key fobs. We could have saved a few $ buying a Lexus fob from Amazon but would still need to go to a Lexus dealership to make the key fob work. We had no idea if fobs from Amazon is any good so rather than risked showing up at the dealership and being told that the Amazon unit was NFG and not Lexus OEM, we went full out with the Lexus dealership. That price was cost of fob plus one hour labor taxes in. I believe the one hour labor was a stretch but thats why we called them stealerships ...sometimes.

As for replacing immobilizer and such ( much much Mula, I'm presuming ) I'll get a second opinion from another dealership before committing.

Last edited by Lexura16; 12-11-23 at 03:22 PM. Reason: missing some infor
Old 12-12-23, 09:30 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexura16
This is what happened when my wife lost her key fob to our 2016 Lexus NX200T two summers ago. $ 460.00 later at the dealership we got her a new key fob. Reprogrammed mine to match her new one so whoever picked/found her previous one cannot spirit away our car. Found out prior to dealership visit that ONLY Toyota/Lexus dealership can program their key fobs. We could have saved a few $ buying a Lexus fob from Amazon but would still need to go to a Lexus dealership to make the key fob work. We had no idea if fobs from Amazon is any good so rather than risked showing up at the dealership and being told that the Amazon unit was NFG and not Lexus OEM, we went full out with the Lexus dealership. That price was cost of fob plus one hour labor taxes in. I believe the one hour labor was a stretch but thats why we called them stealerships ...sometimes.

As for replacing immobilizer and such ( much much Mula, I'm presuming ) I'll get a second opinion from another dealership before committing.
It sounds like you had an existing key and were not completely keyless which is different than this situation. And if that is the case, most any locksmith can program a used OEM unlocked smart key not just Toyota / Lexus.

FWIW I did exactly this w an unlocked fob on a 2017 Highlander wife bought used w one fob.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-12-23 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 03:23 PM
Lexura16
Driver

@2013FSport Good infor. Thanks. Ironically, this past summer while "deep" cleaning out the interior of our other vehicle, a 4Runner, I found her "lost " key fob under her seat ( passenger). Of course it will have to be reprogrammed if we want to use it, but with two available fobs presently, best to keep it in a drawer till one of us lose a fob, hopefully never !!.
Old 12-14-23, 12:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexura16
@2013FSport Good infor. Thanks. Ironically, this past summer while "deep" cleaning out the interior of our other vehicle, a 4Runner, I found her "lost " key fob under her seat ( passenger). Of course it will have to be reprogrammed if we want to use it, but with two available fobs presently, best to keep it in a drawer till one of us lose a fob, hopefully never !!.

FWIW bought a used unlocked fob off ebay $80 and an indi locksmith paired them for $60. The Highlander came with two physical keys but only one fob so that expensive wasn't to bad compared to $400 stealership experience.
Old 12-14-23, 03:28 PM
Lexura16
Driver

Good for you ! We live and learn.
Cheers and Season's Greetings.