IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help, 2008 Lexus is250 RWD transmission issues after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 01:34 PM
mommamonkey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, 2008 Lexus is250 RWD transmission issues after oil change

I have a 2008 Lexus ES 250 that I recently took to Jiffy Lube mind you before I took it here. It was running perfectly fine had no issues with it. No leaks no nothing when I found strange was at the guy came up to the window after about 15 minutes of them being underneath the car, claiming that they had drained 9 quarts and counting as of that moment, which didn’t make sense to me because the last oil change I did I did it myself, and I know for a fact that I didn’t put more than it needed if anything I didn’t even use all the oil I had bought so there’s no way the car had 9 quarts or more of oil in it . Another thing was that right after this oil change happened that same night I am driving to go pick up my husband from work and start noticing my transmission not wanting to go into the six gear or fifth gear and the RPMs were revving high, which the car has never done before. I’ve never had that type of issue with the car prior to this, so right away I thought somethings not right or they messed up or did something to my car my question is what’s the possibility that these morons drained my transmission fluid and not my mortal because that would make more sense, right? I mean if my car had over 9 quarts of motor oil after 10,000 miles wouldn’t have I noticed a problem with that it would’ve been leaking or something right? But not one leak nothing and every time I would check the oil level seem to be good so how is it? I take it to Jiffy Lube and they claim to have taken out that much oil didn’t show us. They just told us that that’s how much oil was coming out and they seem shocked, oh wow that’s a big problem but it just threw me off because I know for a fact we didn’t put that much oil in my car and if it did have more oil in it should’ve we would’ve noticed it right away. Isn’t that bad for a car I doubt it would’ve drove 10,000 miles with 9 quarts more oil in the engine and running perfectly smooth up until they did another oil change and now the car is acting weird I can’t check the transmission fluid because there’s no dipstick so I’m trying to figure out what I should do or how can I figure out what they did,? What are my best options? Is it possible to find out if they messed up and drained actually drained the wrong oil pan? Cause now that would explain my sudden transmission issues and it slowly slipping now Little by little, just yesterday it jolted going into the six gear and I was going 75 I was about to get to 80 mph and suddenly the rpm was Erving high failing to change gear and when I left off the gas and the speed went down below 65 and I gave it a lil gas to stay at the speed limit the car jerked and kicked in to the next gear, and my car had never ever did that before and like I said it all started happening the same day after the oil change, which was about two weeks ago? Any opinions I’d appreciate it because something tells me they messed up and I’m so mad if they messed up my car. Also, the kids who did the damn oil change looked young as hell. Probably barely even 19years old, so I don’t take that they really know what they’re doing so idk my gut tells me they did something wrong so it is hard for me to put all my trust in some youngsters especially when it comes to a Lexus. They seem to barley know what they were talking about and confused themselves.

Last edited by mommamonkey; 12-18-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-18-23, 03:12 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by mommamonkey
I have a 2008 Lexus ES 250 that I recently took to Jiffy Lube mind you before I took it here. It was running perfectly fine had no issues with it. No leaks no nothing when I found strange was at the guy came up to the window after about 15 minutes of them being underneath the car, claiming that they had drained 9 quarts and counting as of that moment, which didn’t make sense to me because the last oil change I did I did it myself, and I know for a fact that I didn’t put more than it needed if anything I didn’t even use all the oil I had bought so there’s no way the car had 9 quarts or more of oil in it . Another thing was that right after this oil change happened that same night I am driving to go pick up my husband from work and start noticing my transmission not wanting to go into the six gear or fifth gear and the RPMs were revving high, which the car has never done before. I’ve never had that type of issue with the car prior to this, so right away I thought somethings not right or they messed up or did something to my car my question is what’s the possibility that these morons drained my transmission fluid and not my mortal because that would make more sense, right? I mean if my car had over 9 quarts of motor oil after 10,000 miles wouldn’t have I noticed a problem with that it would’ve been leaking or something right? But not one leak nothing and every time I would check the oil level seem to be good so how is it? I take it to Jiffy Lube and they claim to have taken out that much oil didn’t show us. They just told us that that’s how much oil was coming out and they seem shocked, oh wow that’s a big problem but it just threw me off because I know for a fact we didn’t put that much oil in my car and if it did have more oil in it should’ve we would’ve noticed it right away. Isn’t that bad for a car I doubt it would’ve drove 10,000 miles with 9 quarts more oil in the engine and running perfectly smooth up until they did another oil change and now the car is acting weird I can’t check the transmission fluid because there’s no dipstick so I’m trying to figure out what I should do or how can I figure out what they did,? What are my best options? Is it possible to find out if they messed up and drained actually drained the wrong oil pan? Cause now that would explain my sudden transmission issues and it slowly slipping now Little by little, just yesterday it jolted going into the six gear and I was going 75 I was about to get to 80 mph and suddenly the rpm was Erving high failing to change gear and when I left off the gas and the speed went down below 65 and I gave it a lil gas to stay at the speed limit the car jerked and kicked in to the next gear, and my car had never ever did that before and like I said it all started happening the same day after the oil change, which was about two weeks ago? Any opinions I’d appreciate it because something tells me they messed up and I’m so mad if they messed up my car. Also, the kids who did the damn oil change looked young as hell. Probably barely even 19years old, so I don’t take that they really know what they’re doing so idk my gut tells me they did something wrong so it is hard for me to put all my trust in some youngsters especially when it comes to a Lexus. They seem to barley know what they were talking about and confused themselves.

Have it towed to a competent Indy shop that specializes in Toyo/Lex vehicles. I would seize to commute the car at this point. Until further investigation is provided from an experienced tech.

On the oil change usually its 5 qt jug, and 2 single one qts.

On the last single quart there should be 300 ml of oil left in the container. This should conclude the 6.7 QTS of oil required including filter.

Is that what you normally do? I do suspect they might of drained the transmission fluid. On a cold engine there's probably 2.5 qts that will drain.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 12-18-23 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-19-23, 10:16 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Have it towed to a competent Indy shop that specializes in Toyo/Lex vehicles. I would seize to commute the car at this point. Until further investigation is provided from an experienced tech.

On the oil change usually its 5 qt jug, and 2 single one qts.

On the last single quart there should be 300 ml of oil left in the container. This should conclude the 6.7 QTS of oil required including filter.

Is that what you normally do? I do suspect they might of drained the transmission fluid. On a cold engine there's probably 2.5 qts that will drain.

Yes, also suspect rookie pulled 2 quarts from trans and then moved on to engine oil. However, I've never known these places to measure what comes out, so that seems odd. And if they told you it had 9 and 2 came from the trans, they have some qualified peoples there. /s

Suggest you take Mikes advice and tow it to someone who knows how to check trans fluid level on Lexus overflow transmission.

Once and engine starts at least pint to quart of oil is in circulation, maybe more. Would a quart over kill it? I doubt it. Two quarts? I'm sure it's happened. What would that do, likely foam the oil as the crank would be hitting it. Idk...

PS - Not A Build Thread. @Bichon

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-19-23 at 11:59 AM. Reason: NABT