IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vsc light help advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 08:20 AM
Mcwill
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vsc light help advice

Anyone able to help me out I got a 2006 is250 240k last year and now a few weeks ago I got a vsc light and car started up rough before the light came on so I turned it off and back on and it started fine and no light but few weeks after it came back and didn’t go away.
i have seen that it can be a handful of this… So I book appointment with a mechanic but before I went I stopped at the part store next door and got them to scan it and buddy said cylinder 3 misfire and is probably to the coil. When I went to leave I noticed he must have cleared the code because it started up fine and no light. So I told the shop that and were mad and said they probably can’t scan it now and can’t go by what they say but will try a deep scan.. come back a 30 mins later and said they couldn’t scan it but noticed it was running a little rough and recommend I switch all 6 plays for just under $600 cdn. I asked if it would even fix the issue for sure or not or should I wait for the light. So paid the $100 for nothing. Then went to a recommend Asian shop and explained and he wanted to do all 6 plugs and the 3 hard to get coils for $950 cdn and said good part.. but are they because I seen how cheap and expensive they can be and don’t want to pay a lot of junk. Asked why not all 6 coils. Probably is isn’t cylinder 3 one of the easy ones to get at ?
Not only that I contacted the guy I got it from and asked if he changed any of the plugs or coils and if so what kind and he had a similar misfire but can’t remember what one but changed all 6 of both with Denso so would I really need to change them already when he only had it a year and didn’t use it much. Could they have maybe been fake?
He only had it a year and almost did everything you can to it that I see most people talk about on here walnut blasting, catch can etc
Have to go through the papers to see if I can find what cylinder it was cause I think I remember seeing it. Anyone have an idea on what else it can be ? I don’t want to replace all 6 of both already with good parts and then still have the issue.
Wanted the 350 from the start but can hardly find them in Ontario and when you do it’s over priced but now I regret it with all the issues the 250 has.
Any good cheaper places to get the coils and plugs from that aren’t fakes. Looked on Amazon from people links and pro are all over so how do you know who’s a reputable seller
Old 12-19-23, 12:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcwill
Anyone able to help me out I got a 2006 is250 240k last year and now a few weeks ago I got a vsc light and car started up rough before the light came on so I turned it off and back on and it started fine and no light but few weeks after it came back and didn’t go away.
i have seen that it can be a handful of this… So I book appointment with a mechanic but before I went I stopped at the part store next door and got them to scan it and buddy said cylinder 3 misfire and is probably to the coil. When I went to leave I noticed he must have cleared the code because it started up fine and no light. So I told the shop that and were mad and said they probably can’t scan it now and can’t go by what they say but will try a deep scan.. come back a 30 mins later and said they couldn’t scan it but noticed it was running a little rough and recommend I switch all 6 plays for just under $600 cdn. I asked if it would even fix the issue for sure or not or should I wait for the light. So paid the $100 for nothing. Then went to a recommend Asian shop and explained and he wanted to do all 6 plugs and the 3 hard to get coils for $950 cdn and said good part.. but are they because I seen how cheap and expensive they can be and don’t want to pay a lot of junk. Asked why not all 6 coils. Probably is isn’t cylinder 3 one of the easy ones to get at ?
Not only that I contacted the guy I got it from and asked if he changed any of the plugs or coils and if so what kind and he had a similar misfire but can’t remember what one but changed all 6 of both with Denso so would I really need to change them already when he only had it a year and didn’t use it much. Could they have maybe been fake?
He only had it a year and almost did everything you can to it that I see most people talk about on here walnut blasting, catch can etc
Have to go through the papers to see if I can find what cylinder it was cause I think I remember seeing it. Anyone have an idea on what else it can be ? I don’t want to replace all 6 of both already with good parts and then still have the issue.
Wanted the 350 from the start but can hardly find them in Ontario and when you do it’s over priced but now I regret it with all the issues the 250 has.
Any good cheaper places to get the coils and plugs from that aren’t fakes. Looked on Amazon from people links and pro are all over so how do you know who’s a reputable seller
First and foremost, not all misfires are plug/coil related. The ECM is looking at the crankshaft sensor, if on hole doesn't accelerate the crank sufficisufficiently it calls it out as misfire.

Could be fuel, spark, compression, burned valve(s) or potentially carbon buildup which these are known for if neglected OCIs, and lots of short trips.

My recommendation is start with fresh plugs and move that coil to place that can be accessed without removing the intake. While New Properly gapped Denso plugs are being installed, examine intake valves for carbon build up.

Also, clean the MAF. Takes 10 min tops.
Start there and see where this goes.

Also rockauto is a good place to shop for oem parts.